What's new

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

Hi, I recently joined IC because of this thread.

Last night I made oil with the dual extraction method for the first time. The initial extraction was done w/ 1oz of dried trim using the soak method. Lacking a thermos, I used a two-cup measuring cup covered with AL foil instead, which nicely held the ounce. It took ~400ml of butane to fully submerge the material.

Once the butane was purged, the oil was scraped (to reuse the pan) and weighed. The concrete run yielded 2.3g. Then it was dissolved in 190 proof ethanol, and the liquid evaporated. The absolute was scraped, and yielded 1.8g.

Pictured below is the product. The splotches are from water contamination as well as residual BHO that was left in the collection pan. Additionally, I had a filter spill, which results in some of the particulate seen. I plan on doing a second ethanol wash today to hopefully achieve that crystal clear amber.

Trim%252520BHO2.jpg

jump117

Veteran
Hey Bouldorado, Thank you for sharing your experience and Welcome!
Please clarify some details of your experiment.
it was dissolved in 190 proof ethanol, and the liquid evaporated.
In the description you made no mention of filtration the alcoholic solution BHO.
Whether it was missing only in words or in deeds, too?
What was the duration of soaking?
Was butane pre-cooled?

Wish you successful repair of filters and very best amber in the next session!

Hey Bouldorado, Thank you for sharing your experience and Welcome!
Please clarify some details of your experiment.

In the description you made no mention of filtration the alcoholic solution BHO.
Whether it was missing only in words or in deeds, too?
What was the duration of soaking?
Was butane pre-cooled?

Wish you successful repair of filters and very best amber in the next session!

The alcohol solution was filtered through a single coffee filter, which unfortunately slipped off near the end, resulting in some of the solid material falling back into the collection pan.

The duration of the initial soak was ~10 min. Both butane and plant material were pre-chilled, however I did not fully anticipate how much butane would be needed, thus only ~100ml was precooled. The second can (300ml) would have been room temp (~62F)

I did a second ethanol wash today and got this. Dissolved into ~20ml ethanol and filtered through a single, prewetted coffee filter. Weight = 1.15g, with only ~.15g lost the night before to smoking, so a significant amount was trapped in the filter (waxes/fats hopefully).

Cleaned up nicely though:
Trim%252520BHO2%252520%252528rerun%252529.jpg

:thank you:

Allow me a little constructive criticism.
In my opinion it was used a little amount of ethanol, and the duration was very short.
:)

criticism is much welcome, especially since that was my first time doing the double extraction method.

how much ethanol (approximate) would you use per gram of bho? also, how long of a soak time would you recommend?

thanks

hammalamma

Veteran
So, this was my third fresh frozen thermos extraction. The first sucked, I didn't soak long enough. The second was cool, very dark but retained some of the the good flavors and decent yield, maybe a gram from the equivalent of 7 to 8 grams dry weight. We filled a 24 ounce thermos about 2/3 of the way of fresh cut sweet tooth#3 and froze it along with two cans of power5x overnight. The butane was then spayed in thermos till 3/4 full. I let it sit for an hour and 40 minutes with the lid on loosely stirring every 30 minutes. Then I strained into a dish and let some tane evap off before adding everclear. I made sure it was completely mixed and froze for 48 hours. I purged the everclear off in glass baking dish on a hot plate at 200f for I think an hour or so. Scraped it all up and got this
picture.php

picture.php

It's really pretty, but not the best tasting and only .5 gram. The small weight could be that I didn't use as much everclear as I should have, I ran out. Not sure about the taste, but I also have never made oil from this strain before, I will soon and will get to see if it might be the strain. I should prolly do a side by side with tube vs thermos, that could be fun.
Here is the waxes that came out
picture.php

Here is some T.A.G. amber I made for myself from some of my recent harvest. This one is from tubes.
picture.php

The taste is amazing, best I have made to date. I like to make a bunch of .1 amber balls and just throw them on my nail, I'm going dabberless:laughing:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So, this was my third fresh frozen thermos extraction. The first sucked, I didn't soak long enough. The second was cool, very dark but retained some of the the good flavors and decent yield, maybe a gram from the equivalent of 7 to 8 grams dry weight. We filled a 24 ounce thermos about 2/3 of the way of fresh cut sweet tooth#3 and froze it along with two cans of power5x overnight. The butane was then spayed in thermos till 3/4 full. I let it sit for an hour and 40 minutes with the lid on loosely stirring every 30 minutes. Then I strained into a dish and let some tane evap off before adding everclear. I made sure it was completely mixed and froze for 48 hours. I purged the everclear off in glass baking dish on a hot plate at 200f for I think an hour or so. Scraped it all up and got this
picture.php

picture.php

It's really pretty, but not the best tasting and only .5 gram. The small weight could be that I didn't use as much everclear as I should have, I ran out. Not sure about the taste, but I also have never made oil from this strain before, I will soon and will get to see if it might be the strain. I should prolly do a side by side with tube vs thermos, that could be fun.
Here is the waxes that came out
picture.php

Here is some T.A.G. amber I made for myself from some of my recent harvest. This one is from tubes.
picture.php

The taste is amazing, best I have made to date. I like to make a bunch of .1 amber balls and just throw them on my nail, I'm going dabberless:laughing:

Sweet!

W

weedmon5

Thanks for this thread, I'm making some nice amber now.

I need help selecting a vacuum filter and paper. What do you think of this filter and this vacuum? What I'm not sure about is the pore size of the filter and paper.
Thanks!

Hey Greywolf! Are you laughing at the near ONE AND A HALF GRAMS of waxes, fats, and solids filtered out of the "concrete"? because i know i did...

Wow , trying to tease me, grow up cumbelly.

pay no mind.... i have extracted many plants. some have little to nothing filtering out during winterizing and others have huge amounts. i assumed it was somewhat strain specific.

unfortunately, i did not keep notes. this is merely an observation. but i do have a heap of filters to confirm my observations!

what is important, is the product you were able to produce, irrespective of what you started with! would rather it be pristene and pure in small quantities then large quantities of what you consider substandard. rock on hammalamma....

oh, about graywolf, i doubt he would ever criticize the work of others. his comments are intended to encourage as we each expand our skills. that is his nature, to push others to be their best. it is one reason he has so many friends, including me.

Man hammalamma thinks he's taking some heat today! I meant not to tease you, I apologize that you have convinced yourself otherwise, I actually believe that GW is laughing at how much weight is pulled from a cleaned up concrete when properly filtered, and I was merely agreeing. I have made two absolutes now, and noted the weight loss both times. Get over your insecurities, and your life here at icmag might be a little more enjoyable :) Remember,

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people are so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell

p.s. that looks like a nice streak of impurities in there, I bet with another Ethanol wash/ filtration and further purging you could get that huge chunk even more crystal. Nice extraction.

hammalamma

Veteran
Man hammalamma thinks he's taking some heat today! I meant not to tease you, I apologize that you have convinced yourself otherwise, I actually believe that GW is laughing at how much weight is pulled from a cleaned up concrete when properly filtered, and I was merely agreeing. I have made two absolutes now, and noted the weight loss both times. Get over your insecurities, and your life here at icmag might be a little more enjoyable :) Remember,

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people are so full of doubts."
-Bertrand Russell

p.s. that looks like a nice streak of impurities in there, I bet with another Ethanol wash/ filtration and further purging you could get that huge chunk even more crystal. Nice extraction.

Oh, ok, sure!:laughing:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Greywolf! Are you laughing at the near ONE AND A HALF GRAMS of waxes, fats, and solids filtered out of the "concrete"? because i know i did...

That was my maniacal giggle because I actually am a wolf and the current phase of the lunar cycle makes me giddy.

The rest was expression of pleasure at a purdy extract.

1.4 gm divided by 9.5 grams is about 15%, which is pretty high, but not outside the norm for some strains. We average closer to about 7 or 8% on most of our strains, but have had 15% or more on some and almost none on others.

Latest posts

Latest posts