What's new

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

hammalamma

Veteran
Made some amber for a friend, man does he owe me one.
picture.php

picture.php

Heres a lil nug I made for the head
picture.php

shakenstar

Hi Jump.
I've got a question. It's about the cooling time of the ethanol. How long do you cool it in the freezer? Is there a temperature limit that must fall below?

@ hammalamma

Looks really great. Just spectacular what you're doing for your buddies......

jump117

Veteran
How long do you cool it in the freezer? Is there a temperature limit that must fall below?

gunnaknow said (click):

chill the solution for 24 hours, rather than just a few hours. It takes quite a long time for a liquid to go from room temperature down to -20°C and 4 hours will only just about get it to below 0°C. It is true that the majority of the waxes and oleaginous substances will precipitate from the alcohol at ambient temperatures but there are still shorter chained waxes that can be removed upon sufficient refridgeration. If the alcohol is perfectly clear at -20°C then it truly is an absolute.
(endQuote)
At room temperature, the wax flakes are not always separated.
Probably the amount of wax is determined by its content in the original plant material.
What is called depending on the variety.

Perhaps the amount of wax is also dependent on temperature of butane.
At another site MTgrower showed a huge amount of wax flakes
that fell in ethanol from the extract obtained with butane under pressure at room temperature.
I always dissolve and filter the BHO solution to remove butane from the resin, but not always freeze for winterization.

shakenstar

Thank you jump.

Here is my first attempt to produce AA. Unfortunately I'm not happy.:wallbash:
I have probably not heated long enough, there are bubbles in the finished product.
The (almost) AA is hard at room temperature, flexible at short hand contact and after ca 30 second slightly sticky.

picture.php

picture.php

I've scraped the dust from the glass bowl at the end.

picture.php

Started with 10g dried indoor trim. Final result was 0.8g.
Next time it gets better.
But it is already delicious. :joint:

jump117

Veteran

Hey shakenstar!

In my opinion you are frustrated for no reason.
The result is good, and acquired own experience even more valuable.

Although 8% yield leads to suspicion of insufficiently complete extraction.
If this is not characteristic of the material, possibly the duration was too short.
Please tell me the details of the primary extraction.
How many waxes separated by winterization?

If you do not like those bubbles and you want to get optically transparent amber,
then you can remove them by repeated dilution, filtration and evaporation.

Thanks for posting!
:)

shakenstar

I also felt that the yield was very low. With the same starting material I produced 1.7 g of Budder.
I suspect that I've wasted a bit at the filtration of the ethanol solution.

I have a homemade tube for BHO Extraction and extract through the blow-through method.
I have a small tube for about 10 grams and a larger one. I normally use dried trim (small sugar-leaves). Buds fit more into the tubes.
I use a can of butane (250ml/139g) for 10 g trim.
Never used fresh material. But at the next harvest also will try that.

I've washed the BHO from the Pyrex with ethanol after the butane evaporate. It left a thin layer of wax. Then I put the solution in the freezer overnight. The next day filtered (there were visible only a few wax-flakes) through a coffee filter and heated....
However, I have used only 25ml of ethanol (96%). And the coffee filter was very thirsty..... I should use more ethanol, right?

Is the darker color of your AA explained by the longer heating?

If some linguistic errors are included, please ignore. I'm still practicing on:bump::bump:

thx

jump117

Veteran
I produced 1.7 g

I suspect that I've wasted a bit at the filtration of the ethanol solution.

I've washed the BHO from the Pyrex with ethanol after the butane evaporate.

I have used only 25ml of ethanol (96%). And the coffee filter was very thirsty..... I should use more ethanol, right?

I also think that the loss of 0.9 g should be investigated.
Perhaps, 25 ml of ethanol was not enough for 1.7 g of resin.
I washed 0.05 g from the filter after solution with half of your concentration.
More concentrated solution leaves more resin on the walls and the filter.

In planning the subsequent dissolution of the BHO in ethanol,
it is better spray the resinous gas in a more compact container with high sides,
where the ethanol may rinse and no spills.
I still consider a spherical or conical glass teapot is very suitable for this purpose.

Is the darker color of your AA explained by the longer heating?
In my opinion, bad storage conditions led to the oxidation of the resin on the source material.

savvy

Hi jump,

thank you for your work and sharing it with us in this thread! I feel a sudden urge to go and grab some EtOH and a couple of Butane cans :D

...way nicer result than bubble hash IMO, also seems like much less hassle.

Let's see what some leftover popcorn trim can do...

Kind regards

B

B. Self Reliant

Thanks!

Thanks!

I'm sure I'm not the only lurker in this thread that has benefitted without necessarily feeling the need to post a lot.

I want to say thanks to jump117 & Gray Wolf for all the very specific info and intelligent conversation in this thread.

I'm still working on my own methods, but this thread was a killer place to start.
picture.php

:smoke out:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm sure I'm not the only lurker in this thread that has benefitted without necessarily feeling the need to post a lot.

I want to say thanks to jump117 & Gray Wolf for all the very specific info and intelligent conversation in this thread.

I'm still working on my own methods, but this thread was a killer place to start.
picture.php

:smoke out:

Purdy! Nice job!

KiefSweat

Veteran
super silver haze wax into a bit of amber

Attachments

• waxpoetic.jpg
    waxpoetic.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • stuporsilver.jpg
    stuporsilver.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 14

jump117

Veteran
Hey!
Thank You for the kind words, reputation, visiting, posting and especially for the following! :thank you:
The heart in response
picture.php

Never used fresh material. But at the next harvest also will try that.
Excellent prospect.
I strongly recommend to learn thermos technology for fresh material,
it seems to me preferable to the tubular extractor.

When weighing, be sure to define weight of an empty cake after it is completely dry,
fresh material is five times heavier than dry due to water, it can be confusing in the %% evaluation.

hammalamma

Veteran
Hey jump how's it going bud.
Couple questions for you, What size and shape thermos works best?[MIA found a gallon thermos at a Japanese market!]
I also wanted to ask you why you prefer thermos to tubes, now I know before in previous posts you said that the pressure build up in a tube causes heat which in turn grabs unwanted stuff, is that the only reason? How do you spray your cold butane into the thermos?

I am doing a thermos extraction today on some bottom nug sweet tooth #3. I have the thermos with the buds in it and butane freezing since last night. I can't wait for some grapfruity goodness oil. I will post some pics soon.

Mia

Got a thermos of some freshly cut sweet tooth in my freezer Jump. And it's all your fault:D
Today should be a fun day!
Thanks for all the posts brother!

shakenstar

Excellent prospect.
I strongly recommend to learn thermos technology for fresh material,
it seems to me preferable to the tubular extractor.

When weighing, be sure to define weight of an empty cake after it is completely dry,
fresh material is five times heavier than dry due to water, it can be confusing in the %% evaluation.
hi jump,

I love trying new things.
Especially if they are declared as detailed and competently as here.
I'm looking forward to trying out the real jump-style.:yay:
Do you know which butane-oil relation you have with youre fresh-thermo extraction?

Got a thermos of some freshly cut sweet tooth in my freezer Jump. And it's all your fault:D
Today should be a fun day!
Thanks for all the posts brother!

freshly cut? please, please post pictures of the method/ final product especially, if you are at all able to do so:dance013::thank you::gday:.

Mia

freshly cut? please, please post pictures of the method/ final product especially, if you are at all able to do so:dance013::thank you::gday:.

Sure. Might not get posted till tomorrow though Waterbelly.
Getting a nice late start on the day again, not looking forward to trimming.........ugh

jump117

Veteran
why you prefer thermos to tubes, now I know before in previous posts you said that the pressure build up in a tube causes heat which in turn grabs unwanted stuff, is that the only reason?
Number of reasons turn the tube into the thermos, it was the evolution process.

In my opinion tubular extractor is more complicated and extreme way associated with the raised pressure,
puddle of butane and difficulties in service on charging and recharging.

Washing of the material in the tube is not uniform,
in the center of the flow velocity is higher than near the wall,
at the entrance of tube solvent is always fresh, and for the material at the outlet is always saturated.

Temperature and duration are regulated by resistance to flow of dense packing and filter,
and by regime of gas supply.
For my taste it is very nervously and troublesome.
Work with a thermos much more relaxed, more compact and safer

Commonly accepted norm of tight packing a tube is hardly useable to fresh plant.
Pressed tight it will bleed the juice that will freeze to ice and block areas from extraction,
butane doesn’t dissolve ice.

What size and shape thermos works best?[MIA found a gallon thermos at a Japanese market!]

I use only one old glass thermos 0,5L with narrow throat, appr. 27mm ~1inch+.
Never compared with another, probably, wide throat is more comfortable, I didn’t test.
Note that modern thermoses made of steel, mind static spark using metal.

Thermos works as stirring vessel, it doesn’t need dense packing,
and gallon thermos may be used with 50ml of butane.

How do you spray your cold butane into the thermos?

Currently, I prefer to use a thermos flask as an extractor,
which in my experience, has replaced the glass teapot, which had replaced the extractor tube.

In order to accommodate a teapot, coffeepot, PET bottle or thermos,
you need to mount the port to enter the nozzle of the can into the lid of the extractor.
A set of these plastic adapters are usually present on the can cap.

The adapter must be very tightly inserted into the prepared hole.
When you install in a plastic lid, a hole is made slightly smaller and softened by heating before inserting adapter.

Narrow part of the adapter should be cut. The nozzle of the can should protrude from the cut-off adapter,
so nothing is reduced flow of gas during the filling.

Do you know which butane-oil relation you have with youre fresh-thermo extraction?
Sorry I have no numbers but the logic is simple
Soaking the fresh wet material requires a much larger quantity of butane,
fresh flowers are five times more volume than dry,
they must be completely covered with butane, with some surplus for a free stirring,
minimal volume of butane is the same, which takes the processed material, not less,
At the amateur low scales level the amount of butane and ethanol is not worried my pocket too much.
For professional care-givers with large scales this circumstance is probably the stopping factor.

This thread started from freshly cuts, there is lot of pictures of final product and techno.
Descriptions and photos of upgrades and variations spread through all the thread.
Another poetry of freshly cut and the fastest method you may read in thread “Amber in 15…” in my sig.

--------------------
Hey Waterbelly and Mia, I'm sorry, :tiphat: I realized too late that the questions were asked not for me. lol. :wave:

Latest posts

Latest posts