What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A World On A String

rasputin

The Mad Monk
Veteran
Well it is that pig skin time of year my friend...I felt like a QB hanging in the pocket as long as he can....knowing the hit is coming at any second...but understanding that is what it takes...to let someone break free and get open...to make the completion. The problem I have with pocket passers....is the concussions. Man I gotta think about the health of the garden.

Yep, it is that time of year again. I noticed you're a Chargers fan, should be interesting to watch that rookie Matthews. I applaud you for not scrambling, instead waiting for the open man to find a spot. Lots of things are risks but if I can make an informed decision on what the risk is relative to the reward, it makes a big difference. Likewise, knowing the plays well enough to know that if you can get the ball into the spot, the catch will be made, will get ya to stand in there longer than seems reasonable to others. But it's certainly worth finding out.

Yup...I lurked on ICmag for a yr and a half before I ever posted. I'm a freak about growing herb....the wife doesn't want to hear about it...and all my friends that grow...are not into it like myself. It's an outlet that helps me expand on my goals. I'm still learning how all this blogging works. I think of gardening and breeding plants as an art form....the thread is an extension of that...had to buy a camera and still learning that...computers are not my thing but I'm learning about them...pretty constructive behaviors promoted by my love for the herb. Lazy stoner I am not....that label always cracks me up...I wish I could be lazy...herb is but one of many passions. I've not had time to be bored in years....feel good and healthy about that.

Freaky. Minus the friends who grow part & learning about computers, I could've wrote that. I grew up with computers, product of the times and I've burnt rule #1 into my brain, it'd be nice to have a friend who knew but it just never seems like a good idea, especially after a quick glance in the security forum. And I lurked for a minute on this site before growing or posting. Had to do my homework.

The lazy stoner description applies to those people you described looking for bang for their buck. They smoke to get zonked out, come home from a day of work and want to get stoned. Those cats often don't do much with their time besides work, come home, smoke, sleep. Work, come home, smoke, sleep. I see it in my friends and it scares me, keeps me moving like a shark cuz I know if I stop I'll die. I've got a rambling gene, for better or worse, and like Dylan told me... he not busy being born is busy dying. Change is a good thing, even when it's not.

Fellow weed nerd here.

Rasp and Pab, like the two of you, I'm way more into my herb than anyone around me.

:tiphat:
I've always been drawn to this plant, even when I just started out smoking it. Compared to my friends I was a little more excited about getting a good bag that smelled strong, had a lot of sticky resin and had dry stems that'd snap instead of the beasters that were chopped early and bent at the stem cuz they were still wet. They just wanted to get stone,d happy as clams, clueless to the world outside of our little bubble. I was a bit... down, existentialism is not a productive personal philosophy when you're young. Drank like a fool, smoked, ate shrooms, whatever was in front of me... nothing mattered.After that the wave broke and I committed myself to a certain direction, this plant leading the way. My friends unfortunately are now almost uniformly hating life, working off their student loans and generally not liking where the world is today and I on the other hand haven't been happier.

Maybe we should start a new social group, 'Weed Nerds'. lol!
More than anything else, I'm an ICM'er because of the like-wise comrades found here.
To be able to vent and express myself freely w/o worrying about security risks, and do so w/ others' understandings, is such a wonderful release!
Friends you can only tell so much w/o letting on your real involvement. No one wants to hear about breeding, I just want to be the guy who grows his own dope, self-sufficiant in their eyes, nothing more.
Wonderful to be on this Mothership w/ you lot! :tiphat:

Like I told ya HL, Weed nerds unite! Happy to share this time & space with you all, this plant continues to amaze me. It brought me to this place where I can learn and share things with invididuals who share a similar passion and dedication, even if tastes vary. I've yet to find a time when this plant hasn't enriched my life.

Sorry for rambling in your thread, Pablos. I'll keep a lid on it. :tiphat: :joint:

T

THE PABLOS

Ramble all you want dude lol....I've got to go take the tarp off the scrog...checked the temp...just under 40 degrees in the sink hole...heading into a warming trend though. Even indoors....I'd rather deal with the heat instead of the cold....easier for me to cool my gardens than to heat them actually. Summer is cheaper than winter for me. I'm not a cold weather individual....I thrive in heat.

I'll get some new pix up....probably show Highlighter's GT X A11 before the week is out....they are doing well for themselves. I've also returned to my Skunk project....a few in flower...one looks pretty promising...these are in the F2.....made up of FD's "The Pure" Skunk#1 X ChemDD....I call the cross South Zone Skunk.....first time I've grown out any of the F2s...I used ChemDD leaning subjects to take me into the F2....for some reason I identify the Chem lines with Skunks....many of my ChemDD reeked like skunk...the most skunky plants I've grown. Looking for large yielding sativa Skunk structure....with the resin production and skunk aromas that I'm fond of in The Chems. It was an even split in the F1s....the Skunk and the Chem/Diesel play way together.

Ok...garden time...

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have yet to grow any Chem, but just from the reading I've done on it, how did it not come from Skunk genes?
From the mid 80's ID grow boom, most everyone grew a skunk x @ some point, I sure did!
My only buy @ the Seed Bank was the NL5 x Sk1, a classic!

I have a buddy married to a dutch woman. Back in '90-91, she was going home for the holidaze, and he told her to bring him back some seeds from the stinkiest pot she could track down.
He sent me a dozen, and it was some of the best pot I've ever grown.
Sure it was some Super Skunk, but we called it Skunky Pete in honor of my friend. :D
I made f2's w/ them, but had my house burgled, grow robbed, and was too scared to grow @ that location til I moved 7 yrs later.
Have never been able to germ any since, but still have a few, and want to make a concerted effort to germ these when space allows.
It'll be 20 yrs when I do try 'em, but I'm holding out popping my Chem X's til then. Thinkin' along the same lines. ;)

G

guest121295

My wife just tells me "stop buying lampshades...." I reckon she sees me as a bit mentally challenged and as I've said before she definately thinks pics of plants are ultra stupid, so I'm on my own at home.I'm not so good at creating great strains, I do make seeds and grow 'em out with my cuts, but I buy more and grow more that I don't make...I always end up with bananas, I'm tryin', now I'm literally over my head in weed and I have to jump back in there and cut....After an hour my back is killing me but I could be throwing clams off the back of a big smelly boat....I loved all the skunks of the 80's, that's why I'm here today, I was determined to hunt that stuff down!!! Keep it up gentlemen, I appreciate the labors.:tiphat:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
bragging...

bragging...

It's good to have yer voice in here Chaco, always a pleasure! :D

I braved the attic to scan a few things. HT 8/'92 It was all downhill w/ me & HT once I got published, lol!
They published a b&w pic of these jars further in the back.
Yes, I was T.H. Seed Co. before there was a THSeeds! :biglaugh:

Long-running pot nerd :D Classico jars = classic!

Last edited:
G

guest121295

That is hilarious, you never really know the kinda company you're keeping!!!....I'm raising up a crop of Nevilles Haze @ the moment for the males in an attempt to seed the place up. The hazy side of this game is still a bit mysterious to me so I'm hoping to bring up a bunch of seedlings of mixed blood and haze see what I can get at....:)

Bacchus

Throbbing Member
Veteran
Pablos - very much enjoyed the thread. I have enjoyed seeing your experiments...looks like you are having fun. Looks like you are running lots of gear that I am familiar with.

As they say it is the journey not the destination.....

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
This is a great thread!

Pablos - loving the way you grow!

You mentioned Blue Sat 2.2 being the best BB expression you've come across...I have a pack of these too...could you elaborate on what you like about it and perhaps what to keep an eye out for?

:)

T

THE PABLOS

Wow Highlighter...

Wow Highlighter...

....Just goes to show you about all the things you just don't know...why I guess it is always better to play your hand up close. Nice to be hanging with accomplished folks. I've always been a behind the scenes kind of dude....I'd rather produce than be the front man. I ain't that pretty lol...just a dude with some rooms.

On that note...about the things I don't know. Chem....I speculate Skunk lines involved....nothing more than that...just seems like a freaky Skunk plant. The time frame also leads me to believe Skunk may be involved....again I have no clue...just a feeling.

Being a product of the 80's pot scene....yes I have my Skunk memories...mine are of fatty lime green flowerers with red hairs...almost spongey in the way they felt even dry....and skunky stank...I got them all the time 80-84....my high school yrs. After that it seems is when other green buds started circulating...even though the spongey greens could still be had....they started to fade out of circulation....perhaps it was because I moved in different circles as I got older....and the party times got more severe and less organic.

Honestly my ChemDD "Deliah" mom was pretty close to those flowers...minus being spongey...but color and structure. The flavor on the ChemDD is different....but imo...has a undertone Skunk...majorly covered in fuel however. I might well be out in left field...but my herb senses have memory and the ChemDD struck me as familiar. I do smoke way too much pot lol...also I've smoked the D and the 4...D is like my DD....4 didn't seem as skunky...I thought it very good...seems more fruity...but I didn't grow either the D or the 4....so who knows. I'm not working off any established "elite" clones...just the beans I can buy online or made by peeps that I respect. All sourced in the last few yrs. Modern genetics.

So again....me being unoriginal....still looking for my youth buds for whatever reason...but mostly to see if I can do it. I figure that "The Pure" is from Sam's genetics....Sam is the man imo...when it comes to both Hazes and Skunks....I figured to platform off of him....dabble the ChemDD males in....roll the dice. It has been fruitful in the F1...now I want to look at the F2s (no incross this round....but I'll probably outcross) and see what I get. I've no expectations...just spinning the genetic wheel for fun.

Last edited:
T

THE PABLOS

Bacchus....I appreciate you dropping in dude....and I hope you continue to do so. Thanks.

The Hummus Monk....how do to you. Good to have you along. Here's my take on the Blue Satellite 2.2....Having never grown any of the other Satellites (I sure would like to...I'll leave it at that) and blindly running the 2.2....this is what I've found. (I won't say it is the best...but it is my current favorite...for what I'm doing with my outcrosses. The best BB flavor I've had....Highend F1 "Sugar" pheno...my baby. That proved to me that there are BB flavored plants....like dead on BB flavor. I'm still going to work Highend....next time in the F3s.)

BS2.2.....2 different phenos popped up in the F1.....one a more dense solid structure...that could yield....but I didn't find much in the way of flavor...not in your face in flav...easily could have been an off pheno in that department....but I found similar stuff in LUI as well....so I'm thinking that perhaps those phenotypes are just that way. A mellow stoney high...sleepy like. It did remind me exactly of stuff I found in LUI...why I mention it.

The other phenotype is where you will want to go....knowing a little about you from other threads.....and that one is the BBS leaner...and that one is undertoned candy sweetness with the berry over the top....not super fruity berry...but the kind that barely tops over the undertone. Kind of chalky at times. This one grows more sativa...stretches like a bastard....bud structure are flowers on sticks...spacing between flowers is what I mean....flowers tend to turret stack and foxtail...very BBS. This is the one I'm going off of...I'll get into the F2s(..or whatever 3.2s lol? I don't even know what's correct) I made in the next few months.

Blank canvas....BS 2.2 outcrosses well...lends itself out...make very vigorous prodigy....they are stretchy and take a beating. I'm running outcrosses now....and I can see the BS2.2....the growth characteristics signal it out....all the outcrosses are reaching for the stars....viney spaced out branch and flower structure. Vine...yes they can be pretty much like vines. The Satechism cross should be nothing but vine as I mated a Casey Jones female to the BS2.2 males. I anticipate a handful when their turn comes....but I can only imagine insanity as far as quality and profiles.

That's off the top of my head dude....I'll be updating the outcrosses and will give out my findings....also the OG Kush X BS 2.2....really a good time...I'm in the F2s...but adds another easily found pheno...the kush...so very good option. OG Kush is fine pot imo....and Koot used a solid cut.

Last edited:

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i could see the Chem lines commin from skunk, also from some old school pine bud. in the strawberry dog, i found piney phenos in the f1s.

been growin the D for awhile, and have had many comments on its skunkyness, the #4 definitly is a pineyer toke then the D, although havent outcrossed the #4.

Hola pablos, new beans on the vine bro, couple more weeks:D
as you had mentioned how ya like the OG Kushes. have Bubba X Ghost, and Ooogly Googly X Ghost, straight up OG Kush genes bro no outcross in this one, a continuation of the OG Jam line i started awhile back..

Oogly Googly is (SFV OG Kush X Ghost S1 male). shes a skinny cut i keep from the first gen. real nice toke, just miserable yields with out a serious veg and multiple trim jobs. hopein this lastest Ghost OG Male tosses a tighter structure.

Ooogly Googly shots:D

CBF

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

T

THE PABLOS

That is hilarious, you never really know the kinda company you're keeping!!!....I'm raising up a crop of Nevilles Haze @ the moment for the males in an attempt to seed the place up. The hazy side of this game is still a bit mysterious to me so I'm hoping to bring up a bunch of seedlings of mixed blood and haze see what I can get at....:)

True true true...the Hazy game ain't steadfast....there is so much variety amongst the phenotypes of the various pools I would guess and have seen for myself. I always liked the La Nina or whatever they call it over at Nice's place....that you grew. That real beasty thing. I read that entire thread when you were running it. I'm also a fan of your ChemDD cut....extremely nice. Yup...you grow a bunch of fun looking stuff...Larry looks nice as well...wonder why Nugg(KW) doesn't show up? I lurk around on that thread over there...seems like that Larry Dog thing is going to be nice. You fellas are rocking out.

I'll say this....the Strawberry Hill is about a picture perfect indoor Haze....not spamming for anyone and I haven't even finished the flower cycle but CBF has created a dynamite indoor Haze...it stays stout and carries that Old Skool Haze/sativa aromas covered by something else that is coming out more....very different from any other Haze hybrid I've grown...yet very much a Haze plant imo. I'm totally stoked on those. I don't know what his plans are for that cross....I would hope he makes more beans and offers them up....some of the more interesting stuff I've grown this year...and makes me realize that it is possible to breed easy to manage haze dominants for the indoor grower.

T

THE PABLOS

Speaking of the Devil....ears must be burning..

Speaking of the Devil....ears must be burning..

What up CBF?.....Yup...I'll stay with my speculation about the Chem and Skunk....I know for sure it seems familiar...like back from the '80's....on the 4...pine?....I'll have to hit that dude up again and smoke some more....maybe he mixed something up...but his was sort of fuel and fruit...very good though. He doesn't make beans....just runs for $$$$$....and maybe he got burned when he purchased it. Wouldn't surprise me...the shit peeps do to each other. I was offered a cut of it several Xs now....but me no do cutz. The same dude runs a nice Sour D as well...for many many years.

You know how I feel about your work brother....doors are always open as is my mind lol...beans on vine...sounds like winners....busy bee you be. Interested.....

I was posting my raves about SH when you posted....I'm so happy with those...excellent eye and excellent work. Make more.

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
....I would hope he makes more beans and offers them up........

holdin 2 males and 2 females bro F1 plants, just the room to make another gen.

found a good strawberry male in the F1s, with lots of kushmans SC characteristics. tight branchy male.

need another 600 lamp and ill move to a new veg spot, and use current spot to get to makein some more seed.

sittin on quite a few males and females for numerous seed batches. refresh old stock as well. current veg is full of parent plants awaitin there turn.

myself i cant get to the F2s fast enough, definitly were the fun begins. have a couple lines out past the F3, the strawberry creme is at F8, and seein some inbred depression goin on. which i had to see for myself. small populations bring it on fairly fast. grew some of the old strawberry cough F2s, and picked a couple females to take the SCreme line back to. would be the 3rd BC, just a bunch of gens back. maybe infuse a bit of vigor and loose the mutant plants.

anyway, seem to be havein good luck with backcross seedmakein, not so much goin back to a single clone time and again, takin plants from gens further on and goin back a few gens, to aunts and uncles, if ya follow me.

CBF

T

THE PABLOS

You are one of those dudes that puts the work in I'll tell you that. I see that you test your work and that you are hands on....like seeing the breeding depression for yourself. I'm much the same way...I have my own ideas about things....but need only prove them to myself to be satisfied. You must see things for yourself....I agree.

I'm not ready to start BCing...I'm still looking for my balance...to stand on my own two feet. No hurry here....it is about the journey...like Bacchus said above. I'm only a few years into my breeding work. Only a juvenile in that regard.

Maybe someday through this gardening style...I'll stumble across that special pool of genetics that I can put my marker on and start the process of stabilizing it....I'm definitely interested in seeing something like that through(not anytime soon though). I respect the discipline it takes....the will it involves...and it would be nice to hold something up...as a body of work. I respect that big time....you folks that are already doing just that. I especially respect those putting in the time and not getting derailed by all the bullshit. There is so much still left to be discovered....if you can't get up for that...I don't know what to tell you. It's endless...infinity...and the definition there of. Fucking genetics rule.

Bring it on CBF....I'll help you where I can....I know it ain't easy doing everything yourself. I'm an individual but that doesn't mean I'm against helping out community. You are skilled...proved it to me...and that's all I needed. My instincts were spot on.

The Hummus Monk

Veteran
PABLOS - Thanks for the detailed reply...I'll keep an eye out for that BBS pheno ;)

Makes me wonder about a BS 2.2 BBS crossed with an F13 BBS male...could be interesting? Hmmmmmmm....

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to touch back on this, I just have to air it out.

Anytime we post pics up it's driven by ego and that's a healthy thing.
I didn't mean to toot my own horn in my last post, just want to show I was a pot geek back then too.

I was lucky to have some roommates from norcal in the late70's/early 80's who really schooled me on connoisseur weed.
I never kept weed in plastic after that, I learned to love weed then.
They traveled home every fall to buy weed, and came back w/ dozens of scores. One of them had gallon jars full of colas he kept in a locked armoire. I aspired to be a guy w/ an armoire of weed!

Just like the music scene back then, most of our info came from the printed page. I'd been trying to grow w/o learning to grow since I 1st puffed in '71.
In '86 the ID grow scene was just starting to bust out, and between then and Op. Green Merchant, every issue of HT was vital w/ new knowledge.
I bought my 1st house in '86 and learning to grow pot ID was very high on my to-do list.
By '87 I was growing real pot, great pot! I'd tried 1/2 dozen times in the past 15 yrs, never coming close, and now this! I was ready to shout it out to the world!
And so I remain exuberant about weed. :jump:

T

THE PABLOS

Sorry to touch back on this, I just have to air it out.

Anytime we post pics up it's driven by ego and that's a healthy thing.
I didn't mean to toot my own horn in my last post, just want to show I was a pot geek back then too.

I was lucky to have some roommates from norcal in the late70's/early 80's who really schooled me on connoisseur weed.
I never kept weed in plastic after that, I learned to love weed then.
They traveled home every fall to buy weed, and came back w/ dozens of scores. One of them had gallon jars full of colas he kept in a locked armoire. I aspired to be a guy w/ an armoire of weed!

Just like the music scene back then, most of our info came from the printed page. I'd been trying to grow w/o learning to grow since I 1st puffed in '71.
In '86 the ID grow scene was just starting to bust out, and between then and Op. Green Merchant, every issue of HT was vital w/ new knowledge.
I bought my 1st house in '86 and learning to grow pot ID was very high on my to-do list.
By '87 I was growing real pot, great pot! I'd tried 1/2 dozen times in the past 15 yrs, never coming close, and now this! I was ready to shout it out to the world!
And so I remain exuberant about weed. :jump:

I for one...wasn't thinking you were tooting your own horn HL....I totally understand what you were showing....and was way stoked to see it. Of course....anytime we are threading....it is a showcase...a bit of showboating at times?...yes but that is healthy.....we are all in the same boat as far as I can tell....we come on here to jam out and better ourselves. I don't hide the fact....that I'm one of those peeps that performs better under pressure...and threading all this stuff constantly....helps to motivate me...because I know you guys will see the good and the bad. No airbrushing for me....when I fuck up...it's all there.

Many of you have been growing and breeding much longer than me....and many are much more accomplished bloggers....being published is way cool as far as I'm concerned....to have others read about your path and all the hard work I see as rewarding. If it ever happens...that I get published in a magazine or something...I'd have a sense of pride. Nothing wrong with showing pride in your work as far as I'm concerned.....I wouldn't bother showing this stuff if I didn't think it was worth a look.

Make no mistake....I enjoy doing my thread.....and not overly concerned what others think about it....if you like it...fine...if you don't...fine. I want peeps to jump in and take it to different places...just like the garden...always evolving in a devolving way lol...breaking it down to bare flesh and new expression.

Highlighter....you post what you feel....I understand where you are coming from with your passion for the herb. I was so stoked on the High Times thing....that I had to show the wife. We think the labeled jars were killer. My girl thinks I should get paid to do this posting business....sounds good to me...lol....sounds like a dream position.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thx for you understanding guys. Into the 4th day of a heatwave, w/ a hurricane looming, I'm a little cranky. :redface:

Those jars were popular. No one ever saw pot in glass then in my circles.
I heard back a few yrs. ago, that one girl thought the Skunky Pete was the best pot ever, and stashed a nug to smoke on her 40th B-day, 14 yrs later. It was a disappointment. :tumbleweed:

Latest posts

Latest posts