What's new

a wicked pulse

bad gas

Hello everyone, bad gas here on Monday morning.

Yesterday, I put my 2 1/2 plants onto vertical screens. Thc Bomb plants topped once, vegged too long under insufficient light, clumsilly transplanted, a foot too tall, but othewise not dead. I guess I can make that claim.

I tried running my naked, vertical bulb, but temps got too hot. Went back to my air-cooled hood. I'll buy a vertical cooltube this week.

We'll see how the training works.

D9: Your setup looks good.

Have a nice day. bg

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
well, thanks again, everyone!

so i did manage to get the transplanting done.

been cycling and adjusting shit, a little at a time.

keeping the plants well back from the lights for a day or two and then start moving them closer each day until i get to 15"

i checked all my lamps with the par meter and found that some of the older ballast were not putting out what they should have so i ordered four new capacitors for them. some of these things are 8 years old.

i went out this morning and the co2 was not working. i checked the pump and it was fine. i checked and reset all the functions. several times. read and re-read the pdf. still nothing.

then it hit me. the propane cylinder was empty. it's one i've had for heat back-up for a couple of years and it was full when i got it.

i guess those co2 generators work a lot better with propane in them.

i still have to finish sealing the room around the floor and the ac's.

been playing with the ac's. i can control humidity to some extent by manipulating fan speeds and temp controls.

later

Ghudda

D9 which bulbs are using for veg and flower? Still hortilux? Which particular ones? :)

I'm building an (overkill) carbon scrubber. Had to go to the local grow store for the first time for some of the pieces (wtf home depot?). They carry Hortilux bulbs but they had quite a selection at quite a high price.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Sick build.

Long build.

Glad their all filled up.

I'm scared for you come harvest...

So fucking scared.

You Bastard.

yes, i can see it now! one tired sick little old man with a pair of fiskers whacking bud for a month all day every day.

actually i intend to build a common sense solution to hand trimming before the whack.

Bastards abound!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
D9 which bulbs are using for veg and flower? Still hortilux? Which particular ones? :)

I'm building an (overkill) carbon scrubber. Had to go to the local grow store for the first time for some of the pieces (wtf home depot?). They carry Hortilux bulbs but they had quite a selection at quite a high price.

hey, i use hortilux super hps 1k's for everything. great bulbs but the price has gotten too high. i think i'll try ushios next. at 146,000 initial lumens, the hilux opti-red looks real good. spectrum is as good as the horti's. but there are probably a lot of good bulbs out now. i use magnetic ballast and there are no issues hot flipping the horti's.

i don't know anything about carbon scrubbers but i'm sure there are experts around here somewhere.

later

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
end of third day since transplant. moved them up a little closer. tomorrow i'll lower the lights to their lowest position.

i have started training them flat. i'll finish the first round tomorrow also.

the single plant is a "dope" roughly flattened into a single plane. you can see the pea gravel and the clamp holding the terminal in place. the clamp makes it easy to adjust bucket and plant orientation.

each 3.5 gal bucket holds 2.85 gals of the turface/rice hull mix and 1/2 gal of pea gravel. the pea gravel does a nice job of diffusing the pulse and controlling evaporation. it dries fast so it is not as attractive to pests. the porosity is such so that roots will not grow up into it.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
and now i would like to talk about the hydrogen pro co2 generator.

this tankless water heater performs flawlessly with a pressurized source of water, which, when you think about it, is what it is designed to do.

i found this out the hard way though. their little install video glosses over the pump requirements to run it recirculating. the guy sort of mutters a statement about "you need a pump with at least 15' of lift".

well, my magdrive 9.5 is rated for 14' and i tried it and it worked but not all the time. sometimes the device would not fire.

so, i went to lowes and bought a 1/6 hp sump pump rated to lift 23'. it also was intermittent.

so i go through all their troubleshooting stuff on their site and then i find that the pump also has to have the capability to put out 1.5-2 gals a minute through restricted plumbing. the dude conveniently does not mention that in the video. and it is not mentioned anywhere else in their literature.

i then checked the pump they are pushing with the unit and it is a 9 amp centrifugal pump. 9 amps! and it must run all the time the lights are on. i could run another 1k ballast on that 9 amps.

i think they show the recirculating method so that people in tents and small areas will still buy the device. it would be hard to plumb drain to waste in an apartment.

so i bought a normally closed solenoid activated valve and hooked up my pressurized water supply and the generator performs very well.

the water only flows during the burn and the volume can be controlled from the generator. i intend to catch it and use it for the plants.

so, this particular co2 generator should really be purchased with drain to waste in mind.

and the hydrogen pro people need to be a little more honest representing their product.

i'm very happy with the sentinel cppm-4. i'm running the co2 setpoint at 750 ppm with a 50 ppm deadband. tomorrow i'll time it but it seems like less than 5 minutes burn time until it shuts off. because of air movement and sensor placement the co2 level continues rising to about 1190 ppm before it starts dropping again.

it takes a long time to deplete the co2 but the plants are small and the room is tight. it will be even tighter when i finish the seals.

Last edited:
G

Guest 142956

About tail pipes. Home depot/loews etc. carry electrical conduet fittings, plastic, that are threaded on one end for a thin washer like nut with square "wings" for hand tightening. the other end is made to glue a piece of PVC pipe into it. You could cut a piece to your desired length, put a cap on it and cut grooves into it with a metal cutting disc on a drill and silicon it into the fitting. The threaded end will stick up into the bucket some but your holes will allow this to drain. I left mine so a bit of solution would be left in the bucket sort of like a hempy so I could add various teas or a seaweed/mollasses combination to the pot and it would not get into my reservoir (much anyway). I like the 1 1/4 inch fittings the best but the 1 1/2 inch fittings are easier to get.

I'm very interested in ppk, I've begun reading the 200 page thread but ran into this thread and I have a couple questions...

I will be using a 4x4 tent in an air conditioned room, 600w hps bulb hung vertically without a cool tube... I would like to grow 4 large plants instead of many small ones... So I will probably do a vertical scrog with screens around them...

I was just about to put together a RDWC system but I think that PPK might work better for me...

So my questions are:

1. Should I use a 3 gallon bottom bucket and 5 gallon top bucket or two 3 gallons?

2. Would it make a difference if I used a rope wick or filled the plastic tube with coco? Or both?

3. What is pulse feeding? How is this controlled? I know that it is beneficial but I haven't seen where anybody has posted pictures, etc...

4. Does the reservoir on the bottom get filled by gravity or does it need a pump?

Thanks for making this new thread!

howdy, i didn't reject it so much as put it on the back burner for a while. it's a hell of a plant and i personally liked it a lot but i'm in a situation where i need more variety.

but i also found "the dope" to be a very potent plant with a subtle floral taste. everybody wants it after trying it once. it has a clear headed, uplifting, energetic high without any anxiety.

the chemdawg g13, and the sour 13 are also big strong plants that i have pulled more than a lb from. unique taste and potent plants.

i have not tried the Good dog, the c-99, or the Bubba og yet.

i have previously grown a lot of dr. greenthumbs plants and have found them to be stable, potent, plants.

all of his plants get big in this device.
Delta,
Thanks for the detailed response. Still trying to square the image of Snoop Dog with your on-line persona. I guess we can expect you to switch over to the SFV OG?

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
About tail pipes. Home depot/loews etc. carry electrical conduet fittings, plastic, that are threaded on one end for a thin washer like nut with square "wings" for hand tightening. the other end is made to glue a piece of PVC pipe into it. You could cut a piece to your desired length, put a cap on it and cut grooves into it with a metal cutting disc on a drill and silicon it into the fitting. The threaded end will stick up into the bucket some but your holes will allow this to drain. I left mine so a bit of solution would be left in the bucket sort of like a hempy so I could add various teas or a seaweed/mollasses combination to the pot and it would not get into my reservoir (much anyway). I like the 1 1/4 inch fittings the best but the 1 1/2 inch fittings are easier to get.

hey, bill, that's not a bad way to do it. as long as you get something at least 6" long and 1.25 to 1.5" in diameter packed with the same medium you grow in you're ok.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
how would I be able to flatten my plants into a single plane before using screens?

would I start bending the plant with my fingers when it's just a small cutting?

the most extreme training I've seen is early in the defol thread where K33f is crushing the stems and branches and twisting them up like rope then laying them down.

I'd love to get my early veg plants to look like yours (and you don't appear to have done any crushing or rope creation :) )

thank you!

i just bend laterals slowly at the stem. they seem to take a set after a few corrections. fast movement snaps them. i use both hands holding the main stem in one and the branch in the other and slowly bend the branch itself as close to the node as possible. you can feel it give.

k33f is trying to get it all as flat as possible too but is also trying to use gravity.

i didn't do anything special with these seedlings. just topped them early and defoliated the upper laterals selectively to encourage the lowers to catch up a little.

Latest posts

Latest posts