What's new

a wicked pulse

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
In honor of tomorrow's Bread and Circus...you built that!!

it's going to be entertaining for sure! i haven't heard so much bullshit during an election in my lifetime. the first election that i was aware of as a kid really was kennedy/nixon.

we really need to break this two party system.

do away with the electoral college, one man one vote.

make lobbying illegal.

have term limits on congress. and the supreme court.

severely limit campaign spending. i don't know about the rest of you folks but i'm about fed up with politics for a while.

they all started campaigning 2 years ago. god fuck me to tears!

Beautiful buds, D9! Wouldn't want to be trimmin' that room without a lot of help, but thats a good problem to have for sure.

I swear this election has made me a full on anarchist....these vultures don't give a flyin' fuck what happens to the people of this country or the people of the earth, or the earth itself. Heads they win, tails I lose! I'm filled with extreme pessimism thinking about the future......

stagehand

DocCrow

Absolutely stunning D9. Just one of those plants would keep me in bud for a year! I just flipped mine to flower for the first test run of my Micro SOG PPK. I have filled up 15 of the 36 sites for this first run. Once I cull males I should have 10 for the first run. In 5-6 weeks I will start putting 4 clones per week. They are finally all transplanted into my PPK and on their first day of flower. I am hoping I have some 8-9 week phenos in there.

DocCrow

Good God D9. I am amazed every time i open my cabinet. These plants are the healthiest I have ever grown (not that I have ever been a master cultivator of MJ). They are growing like CRAZY since I put them into the PPK I built. I transplanted them on Tuesday and I think they will all double in size through the next week. I have been manually pulse feeding them 3x per day until I get the manifold and lines built and hooked up. I just had to pluck some fans to let light into the lower foliage (I need to get some lower branches big enough to cut clones before they get too far into flower) and to slow them down a little bit before they start to stretch. I have less than 12" to the glass on some of the bigger ones and I am worried I may outgrow my space before they finish stretching. They were all 3-5" Tuesday when I transplanted and put them under 12/12.
I have never put a plant this young grown from seed under 12/12. They were 21-25 days old when I flipped them.

How long do you think I have until they start stretching? I am hoping I have the space once I cull males and they finish their stretch to start putting 4 in a week so I can get the perpetual cycles going ASAP. I have some beans I am gonna pop for the first 2 -3 groups. B y then I should have enough clones to start putting 4 clones per seek, and get my starting height dialed in so they finish at the proper height.

For some cheap beans these Mandala Safari Mix seeds are all growing like CRAZY, some are 2x the size of my AKs and the others.

Hopefully I am starting to chop around New Years. If end up with 10 females (some seeds are feminized some are not) on this first run I would like to see 70grams minimum. That is about a month and a half supply for me and worst case scenario that will last me until my perpetuals start coming out and get some cure on.

I don't mean to blow up your thread, but check my grow out and let me know what you think of my Micro SOG PPK based on your design. It is pretty similar to your, but my control res is the same one all of my plants are wicking one. I just have that and a bulk res. I am thinking this would be an excellent setup for a larger grower to be able to plant out large numbers in a small space for breeding and pheno hunting, growing out crosses, etc. as each plant only needs a 3"x3" footprint. This 30"x30" reservoir would fit 100 plants under one 600wHPS. http://www.discount-hydro.com/products/American-Hydroponics-Flood-Tables-%26-Reservoirs.html

Your setup is obviously better suited for growing large plants, but imagine what a breeder could do with 5 or 6 of these tables and some 600's.

For anyone else looking the Mini tree pots I got frome Stewe are super cheap and come with a hole in the bottom that fits a sink tailpiece perfectly.

DC

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran

disciple, howdy and welcome back from your vacation!

i see i made a booboo on that statement about my veg res. it reads 1250-1450 during veg and stretch and it should read 750-850.

i must of been thinking about the flower period when i typed that.

just to clarify, the reservoir during veg and stretch was pulled down in ppm strongly from an input of 1000-1100 ppm to an operating level of 750-850.

i originally had started the grow at my usual 600 ppm and found that to be deficient with co2. google "carbon/nitrogen ratio" for some interesting reading.

around the end of the second week of flower it changed and started accumulating.

jrpeterslab recommends ec 2.1 or 1050 ppm at the .5 as a starting point with jack's. with co2 i found that to be good enough to produce hollow stems.

lucas, in the "ask lucas" thread, stated that the lucas formula did not produce hollow stems and my
years of using gh products with “lucas formula” supports this.

he also said that that largest harvest he had gotten to that date was produced by feeding flora nova grow during veg and stretch and then, without dumping the reservoir, just switching to bloom formula for the rest of the grow.

the original lucas formula is nitrogen deficient for most cannabis. but only slightly.

with jack's i have found that running the whole grow off what i perceive to be the plant's nitrogen requirements at different points of life automatically gets the correct ratios on the other nutrients. the plant is selectively taking up what it needs from the pool of nutrients.

of course with a balanced product the ratios will be good right out of the bag but in the res over time the nutrient profile will change.

with all plants in the same stage of life i got to observe some interesting things this time.

as the crop finished the water consumption went way down. this can be taken as a sign of ripeness. i could not observe this with a perpetual show.

i did not feed anything but ph'ed water the last 2 weeks and worked the res down to 450 ppm before draining. the buds still plumped nicely.

defoliation on this scale is a lot of work. i am not going to do any vegetative defo'ing this next time.

i've got a bunch of untouched foot high clones ready to go right now. no more seedlings! you are about to see some even production.

i'm going to feed the veg and stretch with a strong nitrogen input and then clean up the interiors and pop off a few of the larger, older, light blockers at the end of stretch but not the radical stripping that i did on k33ftr33s thread.

i'm running 12 plants in 5 gals of medium in a pot that i think is the ideal shape for large plants in a ppk.

i'm taking down the screens but leaving the caddies and plumbing. i found the screens really got in the way.

since i have the plumbing already installed for 24 i put 2 tire valves for the sub/drain in each bottom container and will run 2 pulse lines into the top of each one.

i finally get to try saturation pulsing.

i want to exert greater control over evaporation also so i think i'm going to try a cover of some kind over the medium.

i will try to get the cool tubes off the lights during veg at some point. this should make fred happy. i feel a lot more confident about my ability to control temps after this first run in my new room.

since starting this grow i have read about glass filtering uv strongly. this could affect potency. the glass does not filter par radiation much though. with or without glass the readings are almost identical in the par range.

i really like co2. i view it as the stuff that allows me to run a sealed room rather than as a substance that is a "bud exploder".

zero pest issues this time.

all equipment performed flawlessly. love the sentinel timer and co2 controller.

the hydrogen pro generator works great with a pressurized water supply. I used 70 dollars worth of propane.

i had no leaks or maintenance issues.

room temps were between 75-89f as extremes and daily typically between 76-77 and 86-87f.

i ran the co2 setpoint at 650 ppm with a 25 ppm window. the sensor is mounted in the center of the grow so by the time i got 650 there and the device shut off it would continue climbing to about 950 ppm as the fans mixed it.

one thing i noticed with co2 is a more crystalline feel to the buds. they are almost crunchy.

reservoir and plant medium temps were around 80-81-82 most of the time with no root problems.

i will take this opportunity to say that i don't own a chiller. just want to rub it in a little here.

i really like the lighting array. it will perform even better on 12 plants as at the flip/flop the lights will switch from one side to the other of the same plant. instead of switching plants.

Another thing I want to mention is that the 4000 btu per 1k formula is not universal. I think that it is a good rule of thumb for a normally built room in a conventional structure but if you purposefully build a super insulated, extremely tight room you can get by with much less

with all six lights on at any given time there were never more than 2 ac's on simultaneously. That's 16,000 btu max in a room that is supposed to require 24,000 btu's.

Last edited:

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
hey, DocCrow! that's great! i'll try to get over there later but i'm still choppin' broccoli all day every day so don't have a lot of time.

i don't think i'm too qualified to help you with a cab grow as i have never done one. oldone is our resident ppk cab guy.

Devilman

Apologies if this has already been answered later in the thread (Between pages 25 and here), but I wanted to touch on this subject again briefly...

Would buds grow to the bulb strong enough to overpower the effects of gravity? I'm thinking to try a PPK on the floor growing up into a scrog and another elevated with the upper plant trained to grow downwards to a scrog above the bulb..sort of like a Rotogrow or Omega Garden with only two plants and no rotation movement.”

the plant is extremely phototropic and very plastic and can be grown in any position if you are willing to do the work. On the effects of gravity I have found that once buds get below the level of the medium they blow up. Or the level of the originating node. It's obvious that gravity is assisting flow.

Now, I will admit I havent tested it fully with HID's etc.. but while messing around with various tests etc.. in a small test chamber etc.. It has been my experience that its simply not possible to try and "cheat" the plants knowledge of gravity, by the position (or direction) of intense light.

No matter what I did, the plants always turned upwards towards the ceiling again, which seems to demonstrate (at least to me) that the plant is not just phototropic but is still sensitive to gravity and prefers to grow "up and down" regardless of where the light is coming from (within reason).

My origional intention was to try and design a vert sog setup using 4" drainpipes in a circle around the bulb, with the pipes themselves vertical around the perimeter and the plants sited horizontally (with the "tip" of the plant facing directly towards the bulb) to see if I could recreate the typical "sea of green" canopy you get in a flat sog. However after trying, it became aparent very quickly that the plants would turn themselves upwards again regardless of the fact they were only side-light.

From this I summised that the plant is not just sensitive to gravity with regard of root development, but also the main plants development, which makes me think its highly unlikely to get a plant to "grow downwards" as was possibly suggested earlier, or to be able to reliably pull the plant downwards.

But if anyone has known examples where weed plants have been able to be manipulated in this manner sucessfully, I would love to read up about it :)

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
Apologies if this has already been answered later in the thread (Between pages 25 and here), but I wanted to touch on this subject again briefly...

Now, I will admit I havent tested it fully with HID's etc.. but while messing around with various tests etc.. in a small test chamber etc.. It has been my experience that its simply not possible to try and "cheat" the plants knowledge of gravity, by the position (or direction) of intense light.

No matter what I did, the plants always turned upwards towards the ceiling again, which seems to demonstrate (at least to me) that the plant is not just phototropic but is still sensitive to gravity and prefers to grow "up and down" regardless of where the light is coming from (within reason).

My origional intention was to try and design a vert sog setup using 4" drainpipes in a circle around the bulb, with the pipes themselves vertical around the perimeter and the plants sited horizontally (with the "tip" of the plant facing directly towards the bulb) to see if I could recreate the typical "sea of green" canopy you get in a flat sog. However after trying, it became aparent very quickly that the plants would turn themselves upwards again regardless of the fact they were only side-light.

From this I summised that the plant is not just sensitive to gravity with regard of root development, but also the main plants development, which makes me think its highly unlikely to get a plant to "grow downwards" as was possibly suggested earlier, or to be able to reliably pull the plant downwards.

But if anyone has known examples where weed plants have been able to be manipulated in this manner sucessfully, I would love to read up about it :)

hey, devilman! i did not mean that i grew plants upside down. what i was referring to is towards the end of flower as branches get heavy and fall forward on their own once they get below the level of the medium it looks to me that they pump up a little more than buds above that level.

The fancy term for a plant's tendency to adjust it's growth patterns to gravitational alignment is 'geotropic'. Or some such shit.

There are no hard and fast rules about geotropic or phototropic response across genotypes.

When a stem becomes hardened off and woody, it stops moving. In my experience, 50-60% through flower tends to be the point where it will no longer adjust at a primary stem level. Individual leaf blades in the more phototropic varieties will continue to rotate to face the light source.

Through deliberate (and some times continuous) manipulation and bondage techniques, you can structure and alight your plant structure as you think will benefit your plant.

Inverted plants grow significantly faster than non inverted plants. I'm not going to find the articles again right now... or ever (probably). The challenges of growing plants inverted can be overcome. It would be a super fun hobby project for someone... who didn't need the yields to put kids through college or keep cancer at bay.

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
The fancy term for a plant's tendency to adjust it's growth patterns to gravitational alignment is 'geotropic'. Or some such shit.

There are no hard and fast rules about geotropic or phototropic response across genotypes.

When a stem becomes hardened off and woody, it stops moving. In my experience, 50-60% through flower tends to be the point where it will no longer adjust at a primary stem level. Individual leaf blades in the more phototropic varieties will continue to rotate to face the light source.

Through deliberate (and some times continuous) manipulation and bondage techniques, you can structure and alight your plant structure as you think will benefit your plant.

Inverted plants grow significantly faster than non inverted plants. I'm not going to find the articles again right now... or ever (probably). The challenges of growing plants inverted can be overcome. It would be a super fun hobby project for someone... who didn't need the yields to put kids through college or keep cancer at bay.

gravitropic but geotropic is correct too.

Threads without pics suck. Here: let me help you. Phototropic response. Sat dom.

Threads without pics suck. Here: let me help you. Phototropic response. Sat dom.

picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts