What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

Emeraldo

Here are four photos of Malawi #2 (I tend to think this one is female, but am not certain).

Malawi#2--22.07.22.jpg
Malawi#2-22.07.22.jpg
Malawi#2::22.07.22.jpg
Malawi#2:22.07.22.jpg

Emeraldo

@dubi and all Malawi growers. Here are three more photos of my Malawi #1. I think I have a male here. I'd be grateful for your comments. Some of the photos are not perfectly focussed, but it seems balls are visible.

Malawi#1 25.07.22.jpg Malawi #1 25.07.22.jpg Malawi1-25.07.22.jpg

Emeraldo

Hi @dubi can you please give me your opinion on this Malawi of mine? I thought it was a female, but now it seems I was mistaken. If it is male, I need to remove it from the grow area where I have my females. Thanks for having a look. If anyone else would also like to chime in, please do.
Malawi#3-30.07.22.jpg
Malawi#3:30.07.22.jpg
Malawi3-30.07.22.jpg

OZZ_

Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @PlasmaTube and thanks for your interest in our Malawi line. It depends on the height restrictions you could have in your indoor space: i prefer to veg them for at least 20-30 days from seed until they reach their sexual maturity, although if you don't have the space you can also start them from 12/12. You can expect they will stretch in early flowering around 75-150 % depending on the individual, conditions, seed vs clone, etc .... clones are always easier to tame indoors.

@Emeraldo post some well focused pics of the pre flowers if you have doubts and we will help you to identidfy the gender of your plants.

She is in perfect shape for a glorious flowering process @OZZ ;)

Well I am gutted to report I’ve unfortunately burned this Malawi as well as a doors x original haze. I am running them in the same tent as some modern day heavy feeding hybrids… additionally, this was my first grow on new equipment … An 8x4 tent, with autopots…. And I’m still learning the ins and outs of growing on reservoirs apparently. When I built the system I intentionally added two reservoirs so I could account for situations just like this… that is, feedings of different strength when running different strains at the same time.

When I began this grow I had full plans to put the satties on one reservoir and all the hybrids on the second reservoir, but I did not do it from the start. During veg both the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were happily eating just as much as the hybrids. Then i flipped them and we headed into stretch… much to my surprise, they STILL were eating the same EC as the hybrids and because of that I thought to myself “well look at that I think they are going to chug right along beside the hybrids the whole way through”. Ummm …. No :rolleyes:

We went out of town on a trip all through week 4 of flowering, just as they began really starting to flower (and the hybrids were already well into forming buds) and when I returned the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were burned up fairly badly.

I definitely won’t be doing that again. It seems that the minute they finished stretch and switched into flower production their EC needs dropped drastically. Lesson learned! Satties always on their own res and I won’t try pushing them. On my previous panama grow those guys were beasts and chewed through 1.8 EC no problem… here 1.9 burned these beauties up.

I am working on recovering them now and I still have them going so if I can get them to rebound sufficiently I’ll report back here. I still have the mother plant as well as another Malawi mom held back so I will definitely make another attempt at them and probably stay down around 1.5 EC when I do.

Sorry Dubi! Haha i feel like I’ve failed the genetics :ROFLMAO::oops::whee:

FletchF.Fletch

420club
Sorry to hear that @OZZ_ . Much appreciation for your Honesty bro. Same thing happened to me in Soil. Consistent regular feedings from early Veg led to a Toxic build-up around week 4 of Flowering. Some recovered better than others. Definitely going to run them again soon in Hydro. Your insights into EC are greatly appreciated.

OZZ_

Veteran
Sorry to hear that @OZZ_ . Much appreciation for your Honesty bro. Same thing happened to me in Soil. Consistent regular feedings from early Veg led to a Toxic build-up around week 4 of Flowering. Some recovered better than others. Definitely going to run them again soon in Hydro. Your insights into EC are greatly appreciated.

Thanks brother, over here it was simply a case of messing up the satties trying to please the hungry hybrids. Like I say I won’t be doing that again. I’ll be sure to put the satties on their own separate res from now on, no exceptions.

Additionally now that Ive seen her preferences, next time I run the Malawi clone I won’t go above 1.7. She handled the higher EC great in veg and stretch but as soon as she started switching into flowering mode she didn’t like it at all.

Last edited:

Old Fogey

dubi,

hope all is well on your end! I had a quick question about your Malawi.
I want to run a couple seeds indoors and hopefully find 1 male and 1-2 females to seed.
A lot of info on this post recommends going 12/12 from seed. You recommend 12/12 after 2
weeks of 18/6. Is 12/12 from seed good for space, productivity, yield, etc? Or is vegging a better idea.

Second, will growing x2-3 plants in 1-2 gal pots crowd up my space? I'm in Living Soil under a 300w LED in a 3 ft x 3ft x 6ft tent (91.5 cm x 91.5 cm x 183 cm).

Peace to all...Love this thread!
PlasmaTube
I have grown out Ace Malawi regs running 11:30hrs on/12:30hrs off all the way from seed. A very nice fruity pheno with good yield showed its sex on day 34 and finished in 112 days from germination.

I have grown other strains 12/12 from seed too.

From my observations, a plant will grow through a regular 14 to 18 day seedling stage irregardless of the amount of light it is getting. It then progresses through a truncated adolescence before entering the flowering stage as per normal when under 12/12 from seed.

I have now come to believe that a 15 day start at veg level light is recommendable. It assists the plant in two ways; 1) the extra energy promotes root growth at a critical time in the plant's development and 2) the subsequent, necessary drop in light hours to induce flowering promotes the production of many of the enzymes involved in setting a plant for flower.

To summarise: I have had good results growing Malawi regs 12/12 from seed but my next run (of Malawi feminized seeds) will be "veged" through the seedling stage of 15 days at 18hrs on/6hrs off.

Last edited:

Old Fogey

Well I am gutted to report I’ve unfortunately burned this Malawi as well as a doors x original haze. I am running them in the same tent as some modern day heavy feeding hybrids… additionally, this was my first grow on new equipment … An 8x4 tent, with autopots…. And I’m still learning the ins and outs of growing on reservoirs apparently. When I built the system I intentionally added two reservoirs so I could account for situations just like this… that is, feedings of different strength when running different strains at the same time.

When I began this grow I had full plans to put the satties on one reservoir and all the hybrids on the second reservoir, but I did not do it from the start. During veg both the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were happily eating just as much as the hybrids. Then i flipped them and we headed into stretch… much to my surprise, they STILL were eating the same EC as the hybrids and because of that I thought to myself “well look at that I think they are going to chug right along beside the hybrids the whole way through”. Ummm …. No :rolleyes:

We went out of town on a trip all through week 4 of flowering, just as they began really starting to flower (and the hybrids were already well into forming buds) and when I returned the Malawi and the Doors x Ohaze were burned up fairly badly.

I definitely won’t be doing that again. It seems that the minute they finished stretch and switched into flower production their EC needs dropped drastically. Lesson learned! Satties always on their own res and I won’t try pushing them. On my previous panama grow those guys were beasts and chewed through 1.8 EC no problem… here 1.9 burned these beauties up.

I am working on recovering them now and I still have them going so if I can get them to rebound sufficiently I’ll report back here. I still have the mother plant as well as another Malawi mom held back so I will definitely make another attempt at them and probably stay down around 1.5 EC when I do.

Sorry Dubi! Haha i feel like I’ve failed the genetics :ROFLMAO::oops::whee:
Any pics ? It sounds exactly like a friend's plant. It was a sudden and unexpected change in the PH of his starting water. After being on the res for 24hrs the poor plant was looking like it had been nuked. A proper flush and resumption of feeding at the correct PH will get them back when in veg, if that is the actual problem. In flower it's not so easy of course so good luck.

I've been growing out homemade Blueberry x Malawi and Malawi x Blueberry beans in coco for over a year now. Hand watering to 20 - 30% runoff twice daily at EC around 2.2 - 2.4 during peak floral production. They don't handle any PH above 6.0 in flower whereas they lap it up at 6.2 during veg. I aim for 5.7 - 6.0 in flower and 5.8 - 6.2 in veg and they have been very happy. They like plenty of PK 13-14 too. I trickle the PK 13-14 at 1/3rd to 2/3rds of a teaspoon per gallon (0.4 - 0.8mls/litre), all the way through flower until the final week.They definitely love a flush every 7 - 8 days, from end of the second week after germination.

I use FlashClean to flush at 1.5 - 2.5 teaspoons per gallon and use half to two thirds the volume of the pot per pot. A 1 gal pot gets 6 pints or so, a 4 gal pot gets around two gal of flush. I don't PH the water at all when making up the solution. My starting water can be as high as 6 8 but the FlashClean works with that and I have not once had any sign that the plants don't like it. Quite the opposite, they love a flush and respond within a day. And unlike other flushing agents I've used, FlashClean has zero influence on the smell and taste of the buds. I really recommend it.

Attachments

• 20220709_172935.jpg
    20220709_172935.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 108
  • 20220709_172905.jpg
    20220709_172905.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:

bilko

Any pics ? It sounds exactly like a friend's plant. It was a sudden and unexpected change in the PH of his starting water. After being on the res for 24hrs the poor plant was looking like it had been nuked. A proper flush and resumption of feeding at the correct PH will get them back when in veg, if that is the actual problem. In flower it's not so easy of course so good luck.

I've been growing out homemade Blueberry x Malawi and Malawi x Blueberry beans in coco for over a year now. Hand watering to 20-30% runoff twice daily at EC around 2.0-2.2 during peak floral production. They don't handle any PH above 6.0 in flower whereas they lap it up at 6.2 during veg. I aim for 5.7-6.0 in flower and 5.8-6.2 in veg and they have been very happy. They like plenty of PK 13-14 too. I trickle the PK 13-14 at 3-6 teaspoons per gallon, all the way through flower until the final week.They definitely love a flush every 7-10 days, all the way through from end of the second week after germination..
they look happy friend of mine does the same way flushes every 2 weeks and he says they love it to :yeahthats

goingrey

I have grown out Ace Malawi regs running 11:30hrs on/12:30hrs off all the way from seed. A very nice fruity pheno with good yield showed its sex on day 34 and finished in 112 days from germination.

I have grown other strains 12/12 from seed too.

From my observations, a plant will grow through a regular 14 to 18 day seedling stage irregardless of the amount of light it is getting. It then progresses through a truncated adolescence before entering the flowering stage as per normal when under 12/12 from seed.

I have now come to believe that a 15 day start at veg level light is recommendable. It assists the plant in two ways; 1) the extra energy promotes root growth at a critical time in the plant's development and 2) the subsequent, necessary drop in light hours to induce flowering promotes the production of many of the enzymes involved in setting a plant for flower.

To summarise: I have had good results growing Malawi regs 12/12 from seed but my next run (of Malawi feminized seeds) will be "veged" through the seedling stage of 15 days at 18hrs on/6hrs off.
I'm doing them 11/13, well not from seed but from a pretty young age. Seems like they started kinda slow, only really starting to get going now. Did you find that? Could have been for other reasons too of course. Next time I think I will give them some real veg time anyway.

Old Fogey

I'm doing them 11/13, well not from seed but from a pretty young age. Seems like they started kinda slow, only really starting to get going now. Did you find that? Could have been for other reasons too of course. Next time I think I will give them some real veg time anyway.
Yes, the Malawi regs were slow to get going with no veg but I deliberately kept them in low light (maybe 150umol) and fed them bloom food (with a touch of CalMag) at EC 0.7 until they showed sex at around days 28 (purple pheno) to day 36 (a super fruity pheno). At this stage they were roughly 8-10" tall with six or seven nodes.

Kush plants are bigger in normal conditions by day 18, so they were pretty small (but healthy).

As soon as they showed I upped the light to full strength (for my setup) and began feeding at quite high EC with trickled PK 13-14. The purple pheno finished in under 80 days from seed and the best yielding, sweetest tasting fruity pheno went 112 days from seed at 11.30 on/12.30 off.

The plants finished at around 2.5 to 3 feet in height with a compact Xmas tree structure with a dominant central cola. Yields were 3 to 4 ounces of clean bud per plant grown in 1 gal pots in coco.

The cola below weighed in at roughly 3oz from memory, definitely more than two. The buds were rock hard, potency average. I used the plant in a cross with Peak Seeds BC Blueberry with excellent results. The F1 is a massive yielder, with the only drawback being inconsistency in potency, with strength ranging from average to very strong. The cross itself is great and I intend to make it again using better parentals after my first effort turning out more hit and miss than is acceptable in a new strain.

Attachments

• 20170808_162712.jpg
    20170808_162712.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • 20170808_132644.jpg
    20170808_132644.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87
Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran

I've been growing out homemade Blueberry x Malawi and Malawi x Blueberry beans in coco for over a year now. Hand watering to 20 - 30% runoff twice daily at EC around 2.2 - 2.4 during peak floral production. They don't handle any PH above 6.0 in flower whereas they lap it up at 6.2 during veg. I aim for 5.7 - 6.0 in flower and 5.8 - 6.2 in veg and they have been very happy. They like plenty of PK 13-14 too. I trickle the PK 13-14 at 3 - 6 teaspoons per gallon, all the way through flower until the final week.They definitely love a flush every 7 - 8 days, from end of the second week after germination.

I use FlashClean to flush at 1.5 - 2.5 teaspoons per gallon and use half to two thirds the volume of the pot per pot. A 1 gal pot gets 6 pints or so, a 4 gal pot gets around two gal of flush. I don't PH the water at all when making up the solution. My starting water can be as high as 6 8 but the FlashClean works with that and I have not once had any sign that the plants don't like it. Quite the opposite, they love a flush and respond within a day. And unlike other flushing agents I've used, FlashClean has zero influence on the smell and taste of the buds. I really recommend it.

I’m growing in autopots which is a bit different than DTW, otherwise I simply would flush.

In autopots the solutions wick up from the bottom and salts buildup in the top 1-3” of the soil so you’re really not suppose to top water or flush once you’ve turned the reservoirs on. It’s ok though, I will just run her again properly from start to finish with proper ECs for her liking.