What's new

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

Emeraldo

Hey @dubi do you recommend giving Malawi a light or heavier feeding during flowering? Will Malawi tolerate a 3-9-4 NPK during this phase, and is it a hungry strain like SMH? Thanks for your thoughts!

E

Emeraldo

Malawi seems to have gone into turbo in the past two days!
Malawi29.09.22.jpg

Malawi-29.09.22.jpg

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Glad she is enjoying the feeding (continue with it!) Emeraldo 3-9-4 is a good NPK ratio for feeding in flowering, but you must also take in consideration the dose (EC). Kindly check my reply to OZZ in previous page regarding feeding Malawi in flowering.

Emeraldo

Sorry to hear it @OZZ_ and no worries:huggg:cultivation is a learning curve and it's normal to find new problems when you change environment/growing media.
We also learn more from the failures than successes, and sharing your experience sure will help others.

Yeah, i think to feed the Malawis up to 1.9 EC during the transition to flowering was too much. Depending on the pheno, i like to feed the Malawis with ECs between 1-1.4 at that point, also during early flowering stretching. I only like to push the feeding up to 1.8 EC with the New Malawi Killer (and such Malawi phenos are the ones that tolerate higher ECs) in the peak of flowering production, that's the healthy limit with this strain i would say.
@dubi thank you for your views on feeding Malawi. Sorry also to learn @OZZ_ that your Malawi suffered so badly from too much.

I included Malawi in the ACE sativa strains that need a lighter hand with regard to feeding, especially of N, like PHxM. I figured Malawi isn't as demanding as Super Malawi Haze, just from what info I found published by ACE on the web. So I planted my Malawi seedlings in the "haze light" soil I mixed up last winter for the ACE grow this year. After Malawi's flowering was well underway, I gave her a light top feed (3 tsp of a 3-9-4 flowering mix). She's happy with less rather than more. Better to give Malawi a bit less than too much I figure. Letting her grow at her own pace, like you say.

However, Super Malawi Haze is one of the "hungry" strains and I haven't skimped on feeding SMH at all, in fact she simply needs more to stay happy. She has a big appetite! I try to satisfy her. Keeps me busy. :)

Last edited:

Keif Cake

Veteran
in the 70s, up to about 77.
I often leave the stem in pots when my soil bin is mostly full, this is the only plant that's ever done that, and it's at least 8 inches of white stem growth.

Emeraldo

@dubi and all Malawi growers:

I am seeing increasing browning of fan leaves over the entire plant. Does anyone know what it is or what I might do? It looks like more than just your average magnesium deficiency! Is it nute burn? I've given her very little food. There has been some warm weather in the covered area this past week, getting up to 30+ C. I could try a foliar spray of epsom salt... What do you think?
IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0917.jpg
IMG_0918.jpg

Emeraldo

Too much K + Ca can cause Mg def? I've been seeing it in the prior photos of Malawi too, and also see symptoms on another plant. Possibly too much seaweed (0-0-4), with K locking out Mg. Assuming Mg def, I treated it yesterday with a foliar spray of Epsom salts and the damage seemed to slow, if not stop. The green of the leaves improved and looks healthier. Will continue with that treatment today. Thanks for your thoughts @goingrey and @RizlaMan Ohhh Dr @dubi !
Magn-lockout on Malawi 19.10.22.jpg

Mg-lockout on Malawi 19.10.22.jpg

Last edited:

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Emeraldo looks overall underfeeding, that's why i recommended you to keep feeding at this point, plants hardly can recover from yellowing in mid flowering. What's your EC and PH in waterings and feedings ?

IndicaFarmer

Nice - they look quite similar to one of my killer phenos (below, the week 12 6d flowering one).

My advice would be:

A) While the remaining prevalence of extended white pistils may be a good indicator of lack of maturity for now, I strongly suggest you focus almost exclusively on trichome maturity/resin production at this stage. Trichomes should be viewed under magnification at multiple areas of the plant, not just the top nugs getting the most light. I wouldn't bother with sequential harvesting personally but rather try aim for lower nugs to reach sufficient maturity (without top nugs over-maturing) if possible, That approach worked well for me. Standard trichome review applies here, where you will want to carefully monitor the amber situation. I will say strains like Malawi do take a while to get fully 'cloudy' and almost reaching that gold/sandy trichome colour.

B) If you want an estimate on how long your plants need, I would say approx 9-14 days. Possibly more, possibly less. Again, recommend regular trichome review under magnification.. Probably worth starting to flush somewhat soon

C) Based on the appearance of your pheno (and particularly how it is relatively similar to one of my plants), I'd say it looks like a roughly 12-13 week pheno but we will see. In particular, your plant looks nothing like my other Malawi which had extreme sativa traits and was a long flowerer.

If you manage to take the above approach you can probably optimise pretty nicely, and end up with a result very similar to the below photos of my Malawi. The Trichomes almost look like glow worms or something when fully mature, these plants are known for large resin glands I believe.......

1Vh8AGD.jpg

efutXH3.jpg
Oh God yes, yes yes yes Oh god......

Latest posts

Latest posts