What's new

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

OZZ_

Veteran
Malawi at day 10 12-12. She’s looking mean and surprisingly not stretching as much as the hybrids she’s in with…. Although we are just getting started it probably won’t stay that way. :ROFLMAO:(y)

F0E7A870-AA7F-444F-A8E3-DD33644D780F.jpeg

PlasmaTube

Like that last one babe ruth. Would like to breed that one with my Malawi.
Have some Malawi seeds on my to do list.

Been away for a long time and starting to get back into it.
I know I missed lots in here and life has been busy for me.
Zanddar,

First, your work with the Malawi is epic. Thank you for sharing and starting this thread.

Second, WHEN ARE YOU GETTING BACK TO THE MALAWI GROWS?

Third, is a question. I went through the 2012-beyond stuff you had up and read the content
along with responses of other growers...but the info seems inconsistent between y'all.
My question is....is a 12/12 from seed in a 1-2 gal a smart move for an indoor 3x3x6 tent?

My plan is to pop 5, find 1-2 great females and 1 solid male and let them do their thing for an F2 stock.

Am I asking too much? The other plan was to put 3-5 malawi's with 3-5 of doc d's Nigerian Rafiki (JJ's Nigerian T Haze x A5/Thai BX....13-15+wks)..Strong Sativa genetics with very VERY very slight indica in the NL5/Haze (A5).

OR 3-5 malawi's with 1 Karma A5 Haze S1 Haze. I already have the Killer A5 as well, but thought I could run my own little cross of a malawi Pheno and the A5 to make a no ceiling, psychedelic, cocaine, no body all head Haze.

Newer grower here with my 3rd grow happening now. Have several plants outdoors and hoping for more indoor.
All growing in Liviing Soil inspired by Coots 3 part mix.

Thank you and everyone else following this old thread...so packed with knowledge and info.

Peace,
PlasmaTube

PlasmaTube

@Kiefcake consider to top yours before flowering if she is already growing too tall.

Love the way you tamed your Malawi @OZZ well done ;)
dubi,

hope all is well on your end! I had a quick question about your Malawi.
I want to run a couple seeds indoors and hopefully find 1 male and 1-2 females to seed.
A lot of info on this post recommends going 12/12 from seed. You recommend 12/12 after 2
weeks of 18/6. Is 12/12 from seed good for space, productivity, yield, etc? Or is vegging a better idea.

Second, will growing x2-3 plants in 1-2 gal pots crowd up my space? I'm in Living Soil under a 300w LED in a 3 ft x 3ft x 6ft tent (91.5 cm x 91.5 cm x 183 cm).

Peace to all...Love this thread!
PlasmaTube

Emeraldo

I second @OZZ_ on the beauty of this plant. I have to say I just love 😍 growing Malawi, so far it's been good, for a couple of reasons. My three Malawis are in preflower, so am not sure of sex of #1 yet (and am hoping for a male). But the experience of growing this strain so far has been a breeze -- despite quite a few hiccups that have impacted other strains adversely. For example heat stress has impacted other strains but not Malawi.

Malawi grows on you. Let me count the ways... Vigorous growth, robust plant, balanced strong structure, resistant to heat, so far pest resistant too, just one tough and beautiful weed! Rubbing the stems, I get a woody/oily smell, nothing "rotten" yet but I guess the best is yet to come. ;)

Here a couple of photos from day before yesterday, of my Malawi #1 and #2 (my Malawi #3 is in a different, slightly cooler location for the long term). The second photo is of Malawi#1's foliage from above, with a Super Malawi Haze behind her.
Malawi#2-16.07.22.jpg
Malawi#1:SMH-16.07.22.jpg
Malawi#1-16.07.22.jpg

Last edited:

OZZ_

Veteran
I second @OZZ_ on the beauty of this plant. I have to say I just love 😍 growing Malawi, so far it's been good, for a couple of reasons. My three Malawis are in preflower, so am not sure of sex of #1 yet (and am hoping for a male). But the experience of growing this strain so far has been a breeze -- despite quite a few hiccups that have impacted other strains adversely. For example heat stress has impacted other strains but not Malawi.

Malawi grows on you. Let me count the ways... Vigorous growth, robust plant, balanced strong structure, resistant to heat, so far pest resistant too, just one tough and beautiful weed! Rubbing the stems, I get a woody/oily smell, nothing "rotten" yet but I guess the best is yet to come. ;)

Here a couple of photos from day before yesterday, of my Malawi #1 and #2 (my Malawi #3 is in a different, slightly cooler location for the long term). The second photo is of Malawi#1's foliage from above, with a Super Malawi Haze behind her. View attachment 18734748 View attachment 18734749 View attachment 18734746

Beautiful! Great job! 🤘🤘🤘

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Welcome to ICMag @PlasmaTube and thanks for your interest in our Malawi line. It depends on the height restrictions you could have in your indoor space: i prefer to veg them for at least 20-30 days from seed until they reach their sexual maturity, although if you don't have the space you can also start them from 12/12. You can expect they will stretch in early flowering around 75-150 % depending on the individual, conditions, seed vs clone, etc .... clones are always easier to tame indoors.

@Emeraldo post some well focused pics of the pre flowers if you have doubts and we will help you to identidfy the gender of your plants.

She is in perfect shape for a glorious flowering process @OZZ ;)

PlasmaTube

Welcome to ICMag @PlasmaTube and thanks for your interest in our Malawi line. It depends on the height restrictions you could have in your indoor space: i prefer to veg them for at least 20-30 days from seed until they reach their sexual maturity, although if you don't have the space you can also start them from 12/12. You can expect they will stretch in early flowering around 75-150 % depending on the individual, conditions, seed vs clone, etc .... clones are always easier to tame indoors.

@Emeraldo post some well focused pics of the pre flowers if you have doubts and we will help you to identidfy the gender of your plants.

She is in perfect shape for a glorious flowering process @OZZ ;)
Thanks Dubi!

Much appreciated.
I have settled on popping (3) Malawi regs and (3) Nigerian T Haze/Durban regs, keep at least 1 of each of the females and possibly 1 strong male to make some seeds with .

Sidenote...has anyone here grown any White Rabbit Farm Organics' gear? I spoke with the guy yesterday and ordered a pack of his Nigerian Yoruba Bantu F2s for a possible future run. I love my landraces, especially Africans.

Peace ya'll

Emeraldo

@dubi thanks for this, I call that excellent customer service!

Malawi is pure sativa, and my experience with 100% sativas is very limited. Generally, hybrids or polyhybrids with even a small % of indica genetics have shown sex earlier than Malawi. As of today, I am still not sure about the two Malawi plants below and would be grateful for your opinion and also those of others who have grown Malawi.

I am posting photos of two plants, Malawi #1 and Malawi #2. Here are two photos of Malawi #1.

Malawi#1-22.07.22.jpg

Malawi#1:22.07.22.jpg