What's new

A Taste of Africa from Malawi

Lester Moore

Veteran
After thinking about my Malawi grow I think I may have pulled it a little early and didn' let it fully develop. It looked ready but as I am new to this plant I don't think I understood her. I have another one flowering now. Plan to take this one 13+ weeks and will report back on my findings. I also crossed her with a blowfish x appy which is also flowering. Looking forward to seeing your Malawi's grow and your experience with them naturalgazda.

@peace

Hello everyone, here are a couple Malawi I have from the regular purple line in the breeders pack. The bud and the stem shots are of the plant on the right in the last picture. It smells like limey carrot and they are both at about 3.5 - 4 weeks flower. The one on the right was by far the smallest Malawi until it was potted into the 3 gallon it is in now, then it exploded. I kept it because it had the healthiest roots even though it was smallest. I am using these in a personal amateur breeding project to make a Malawi cross that can finish where I am. Both of them have been pollinated with a very nice Nepal Jam male and a very pungent F4 Romulan male, which is the reason for the coloured tags on the branches. They are currently under a 600W HPS and were under a 600W MH until two weeks ago. I have a seperate extremely branchy female but I haven't gotten a good picture of her yet.

fetch

fetch

fetch

Yes, I purposely left that magnet there. It makes me laugh. My wife grabbed it from Niagara Falls, apparently we like to advertise all of our trash animals to tourists lol. The last picture isn't very good, I am just using it to show the height difference. Both emerged at the same time.

MaaXero

Flower day 73. Which pheno? And how long can I continue in flower before Amber trics.? Have other ace seeds in tent and they need 3 more weeks at least.

Attachments

• photo2111906.jpg
    photo2111906.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 59

Subu

Flower day 73. Which pheno? And how long can I continue in flower before Amber trics.? Have other ace seeds in tent and they need 3 more weeks at least.

You need to post some clearer photos which are also more zoomed in on the buds. That photo's not exactly useful.

One of my phenos ended up going about 17.5 weeks into flip, and was only chopped because of rot (could have gone 19ish). The other one took around 12 weeks 6 days. It will vary and we need good photos to tell you more!

MaaXero

You need to post some clearer photos which are also more zoomed in on the buds. That photo's not exactly useful.

One of my phenos ended up going about 17.5 weeks into flip, and was only chopped because of rot (could have gone 19ish). The other one took around 12 weeks 6 days. It will vary and we need good photos to tell you more!

Hope these are better.

Attachments

• 20220216_120431.jpg
    20220216_120431.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20220214_152156.jpg
    20220214_152156.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 20220216_140531.jpg
    20220216_140531.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 93
  • 20220216_140550.jpg
    20220216_140550.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 93

MaaXero

Attachments

• 20220216_120431.jpg
    20220216_120431.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20220216_140531.jpg
    20220216_140531.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220214_152156.jpg
    20220214_152156.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 60
  • 20220216_140550.jpg
    20220216_140550.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 59

Subu

Hope these are better.

Nice - they look quite similar to one of my killer phenos (below, the week 12 6d flowering one).

My advice would be:

A) While the remaining prevalence of extended white pistils may be a good indicator of lack of maturity for now, I strongly suggest you focus almost exclusively on trichome maturity/resin production at this stage. Trichomes should be viewed under magnification at multiple areas of the plant, not just the top nugs getting the most light. I wouldn't bother with sequential harvesting personally but rather try aim for lower nugs to reach sufficient maturity (without top nugs over-maturing) if possible, That approach worked well for me. Standard trichome review applies here, where you will want to carefully monitor the amber situation. I will say strains like Malawi do take a while to get fully 'cloudy' and almost reaching that gold/sandy trichome colour.

B) If you want an estimate on how long your plants need, I would say approx 9-14 days. Possibly more, possibly less. Again, recommend regular trichome review under magnification.. Probably worth starting to flush somewhat soon

C) Based on the appearance of your pheno (and particularly how it is relatively similar to one of my plants), I'd say it looks like a roughly 12-13 week pheno but we will see. In particular, your plant looks nothing like my other Malawi which had extreme sativa traits and was a long flowerer.

If you manage to take the above approach you can probably optimise pretty nicely, and end up with a result very similar to the below photos of my Malawi. The Trichomes almost look like glow worms or something when fully mature, these plants are known for large resin glands I believe.......

1Vh8AGD.jpg

efutXH3.jpg

MaaXero

Nice - they look quite similar to one of my killer phenos (below, the week 12 6d flowering one).

My advice would be:

A) While the remaining prevalence of extended white pistils may be a good indicator of lack of maturity for now, I strongly suggest you focus almost exclusively on trichome maturity/resin production at this stage. Trichomes should be viewed under magnification at multiple areas of the plant, not just the top nugs getting the most light. I wouldn't bother with sequential harvesting personally but rather try aim for lower nugs to reach sufficient maturity (without top nugs over-maturing) if possible, That approach worked well for me. Standard trichome review applies here, where you will want to carefully monitor the amber situation. I will say strains like Malawi do take a while to get fully 'cloudy' and almost reaching that gold/sandy trichome colour.

B) If you want an estimate on how long your plants need, I would say approx 9-14 days. Possibly more, possibly less. Again, recommend regular trichome review under magnification.. Probably worth starting to flush somewhat soon

C) Based on the appearance of your pheno (and particularly how it is relatively similar to one of my plants), I'd say it looks like a roughly 12-13 week pheno but we will see. In particular, your plant looks nothing like my other Malawi which had extreme sativa traits and was a long flowerer.

If you manage to take the above approach you can probably optimise pretty nicely, and end up with a result very similar to the below photos of my Malawi. The Trichomes almost look like glow worms or something when fully mature, these plants are known for large resin glands I believe.......

1Vh8AGD.jpg

efutXH3.jpg

Thank you for the advice. The other plants need more time, I did not want any Amber on the malawi.

Attachments

• 20220212_064153.jpg
    20220212_064153.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 56

Subu

Thank you for the advice. The other plants need more time, I did not want any Amber on the malawi.

Trichome maturity is a bit different on these landraces - often when they look done if you delay another week or two you'll be rewarded with heavy resin production and still little amber trichs. That's why I ultimately suggested regular trichome review (even daily!). My plant pictured didn't have much amber trichomes at all and are definitely at peak potency, I got a solid compliment from dubi on the above pictured plant being somewhat optimally timed

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
After thinking about my Malawi grow I think I may have pulled it a little early and didn' let it fully develop. It looked ready but as I am new to this plant I don't think I understood her. I have another one flowering now. Plan to take this one 13+ weeks and will report back on my findings. I also crossed her with a blowfish x appy which is also flowering. Looking forward to seeing your Malawi's grow and your experience with them naturalgazda.

Hi Lester MooreI think you grew that plant extremely well :yes: But yeah, i think it's a good thing to experiment a few times with a new sativa and harvest at different stages to learn what moment do you prefer. If you want it really strong and heavy then a late harvest is recommended. Also, Malawi terps and effects are not for everyone, and those who like Malawi rarely can consume it daily or in a regular basis, it can be that potent. If you are looking for clean, cerebral, and uplifting sativa effects then we have other sativa genetics that are much more suitable for that, Malawi has always been advertised as pretty devastating.

Hello everyone, here are a couple Malawi I have from the regular purple line in the breeders pack. I am using these in a personal amateur breeding project to make a Malawi cross that can finish where I am. Both of them have been pollinated with a very nice Nepal Jam male and a very pungent F4 Romulan male

Hi @peace thank you very much for your interest in our genetics and for supporting our Breeders Packs!
Purple Malawi x Nepal Jam was also the genetic composition of one of the Red Sapphire versions we released a few years ago, you might find interesting to check info about RS, there are a few threads here on ICMag. Overall, Nepal Jam hybrids are very kind in effects. The Romulan cross should be more potent and high yielding, both quite early.

Greetings to the cultivation enthusiasts. This will be a ride ....... I expect first class quality.

Thanks for your support Naturalgazda ;) Please, keep us updated!

Welcome MaaXero :smoke: Thanks for joining us and for sharing pics of your Malawi grow. Subu gave you great tips (thank you very much!), i would consider to harvest at different ripeness stages so you can learn from first hand experience how ripe do you prefer you Malawi. She looks lovely, well done :yes: Flower distribution is more Old Killer fasion, from closer looks New Killer although i would need to see closer pics to check it out, she will be killer, no doubt. It's a combination of both if you are growing the fem version. Excited to see the other ACE sativas you are are growing, please post them in their own threads if you have the chance!

@peace

dubi. Kind, resinous, and good outdoors is what I am looking for in the cross. I had seen a couple years back that you had talked about breeding the NJ to the purple Malawi as an experimental cross and wondered how that turned out. Now I know, I will check out the RS threads. Thank you.

MaaXero

Trichome maturity is a bit different on these landraces - often when they look done if you delay another week or two you'll be rewarded with heavy resin production and still little amber trichs. That's why I ultimately suggested regular trichome review (even daily!). My plant pictured didn't have much amber trichomes at all and are definitely at peak potency, I got a solid compliment from dubi on the above pictured plant being somewhat optimally timed

Is that inference applicable to Gt3, purple haze x malawi and Panama sativa also?
20190630 201218
nu
20220217_162704.jpg
20220217_162657.jpg
20220217_163016.jpg

wutwut

Veteran
winner@420giveaway
i just did order Malawi and Zamaldelica fems. they are going to grow in hydro setup. i don't have any earlier experience with hydroponics, so it will be interesting round in many ways. i am looking for long lasting and powerful high. 8-10 plants in 120x60x180cm tent under the 240w qb-led. do you recommend to veg them until they are ready to pinch, or should i flip them straight to flower? i am doing scrog.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Recently I bought 3 seeds each of Ace Malawi, Golden Tiger, and Zamaldelica. I intend to grow out these feminized seeds into clone mothers that I hope will provide clones of these three fabled Sativa strains for the next few years.

Now, due to a mixup in my labeling, I wound up losing track of which dixie cup contains which strain, so I thought there'd be no harm asking here in the Ace forum whether a brief description of the seedlings could enable experienced growers to help me identify at least a couple of the seedlings I have growing.

The seedlings are only growing through their third node stage, but I noticed two of the seedlings growing very long and leggy compared to the rest, despite the LED grow light being only about a foot above the plants. There is one seedling that is really tiny compared to the rest, and growing at a much slower rate. My presumption is that the two leggy seedlings are of the same strain, while the midget seedling is of another. Given that all these seedlings are bound to be either Malawi, Golden Tiger, or Zamaldelica, I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to hazard a guess about the identity of those two leggy seedlings, and of the tiny runt.

Generally speaking, these seedlings are looking very healthy, and once I get my camera driver software issued cleared up, I'll post pictures of my small indoor nursery. In the meantime though, any suggestions about the identity of the distinctive seedlings I described above will be appreciated for sure. Thanks in advance fellas. Standing by for any informed guesses that could be offered here.

OZZ_

Veteran
Recently I bought 3 seeds each of Ace Malawi, Golden Tiger, and Zamaldelica. I intend to grow out these feminized seeds into clone mothers that I hope will provide clones of these three fabled Sativa strains for the next few years.

Now, due to a mixup in my labeling, I wound up losing track of which dixie cup contains which strain, so I thought there'd be no harm asking here in the Ace forum whether a brief description of the seedlings could enable experienced growers to help me identify at least a couple of the seedlings I have growing.

The seedlings are only growing through their third node stage, but I noticed two of the seedlings growing very long and leggy compared to the rest, despite the LED grow light being only about a foot above the plants. There is one seedling that is really tiny compared to the rest, and growing at a much slower rate. My presumption is that the two leggy seedlings are of the same strain, while the midget seedling is of another. Given that all these seedlings are bound to be either Malawi, Golden Tiger, or Zamaldelica, I would be grateful if anyone would be willing to hazard a guess about the identity of those two leggy seedlings, and of the tiny runt.

Generally speaking, these seedlings are looking very healthy, and once I get my camera driver software issued cleared up, I'll post pictures of my small indoor nursery. In the meantime though, any suggestions about the identity of the distinctive seedlings I described above will be appreciated for sure. Thanks in advance fellas. Standing by for any informed guesses that could be offered here.

Hi swamp thing, without pictures that would be next to impossible, and probably even with photos.

Im guessing you’ll need to wait until flowering to have a shot at identifying them, and of course Dubi would be the most qualified. :D

goingrey

For sure OZZ_ is right with all three strains being related.

Still, could be fun to guess. I say get the camera working and post some photos Swamp Thang.

FletchF.Fletch just posted some Malawi seedlings a few pages back, by the way. If you want to compare..

Latest posts

Latest posts