What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A question for breeding experts.

Baba Ku

Veteran
Are you really so thick that you think what I offered in that post is your justification for cussing me and calling me some of the most vile names?

To start with, you take things out of context..because the rest of the conversations aren't being included. Why bring it here like a little pussy kid? Hell, why wouldn't they just go and read it all like I invited? I'll tell you why...because people could give two ripe rats dicks about your little tiff with me. Grow a pair old man. And study up so you don't look so stupid...hell, you are supposed to be a help thread guru, not some clueless cry baby bitch.

Bottom line is you ARE blatantly ignorant. That has been established and is quite obvious.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
...What guidelines do breeders use to decide which strain gets to be the mother of the cross and which strain gets to be the father?...

the main guide lines, traditionally, are identifying desireable traits of all plants within your given population and amount of strains you have within said population, identifying such traits in females and males alike, and depending on what you find, lets say the best male you have of strain x, and the best female you have is of strain y, then that determines who gets to be father or mother. what determines this would be the quantity of desireable traits you find in each plant and which is best for its role, in this case of your question, for crossing.

what determines what is and what is not a desireable trait, is mainly dependent on what you think are traits the end result cross should have.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
Are you really so thick that you think what I offered in that post is your justification for cussing me and calling me some of the most vile names?

To start with, you take things out of context..because the rest of the conversations aren't being included. Why bring it here like a little pussy kid? Hell, why wouldn't they just go and read it all like I invited? I'll tell you why...because people could give two ripe rats dicks about your little tiff with me. Grow a pair old man. And study up so you don't look so stupid...hell, you are supposed to be a help thread guru, not some clueless cry baby bitch.

Bottom line is you ARE blatantly ignorant. That has been established and is quite obvious.

The only thing obvious is you haven't a clue what the fuck you are talking about. I took nothing out of context. I said this was your first post in my thread and then a quoted the whole post. I guess you thought it was out of context because I made bold and enlarged the numberous insults made in that post. I also provided a link to that page and post so that if people wanted to check it further they easily could, rather then invite people to search thru a 250+ page thread for your stupid ass. Of course there is really no need to question context on a post that starts of "let me throw in my 2 cents here". Even a simpleton like yourself should be able to conclude from that there is no context as it's the person's first post on the topic.

As for if people give a shit about it? Well I certainly don't think they give enough of a shit about it to go search thru a 250+ page thread with no link to at least get them in the right area. In fact I actually think nobody "cares" about this at all. I do think some might be curious though and might want to see who is telling it like it is and who is full of shit. So I made it easier for them to do that if they want, which I guess is why your panties are all knotted up about it now? Because people will realize just what a pathetic tool you are.

Funny how you call me a cry baby bitch and yet you're the one going "wah Hempkat was mean to me, wah he called me names, wah he doesn't think feminized seeds are the greatest thing since sliced bread, wah he stood up to me and exposed me for the asshole I am." Cry me a freaking river. :rolleyes:

Baba Ku

Veteran
lol...I laughed when I saw that you had replied again.
You are so easy, and so much entertainment. I swear, reading your rants really intensifies a good giggle buzz. Do more.
Really get in there and flex your douche bag...

Hey...and don't worry, I am not some big guy that is lookin to pummel your knot for you. Hell, I was just reminding you that folks usually don't talk to one another and call such names face to face...not usually anyway...I mean, not in everyday sort of arguing even...
But then you may have done this to a big guy and he pummeled your knot for you? Hell, who knows...maybe that's it. No man, I aint about all the violence.
I am into the comedy. Like your posts...
:dunno:

HempKat

Veteran
lol...I laughed when I saw that you had replied again.
You are so easy, and so much entertainment. I swear, reading your rants really intensifies a good giggle buzz. Do more.
Really get in there and flex your douche bag...

Hey...and don't worry, I am not some big guy that is lookin to pummel your knot for you. Hell, I was just reminding you that folks usually don't talk to one another and call such names face to face...not usually anyway...I mean, not in everyday sort of arguing even...
But then you may have done this to a big guy and he pummeled your knot for you? Hell, who knows...maybe that's it. No man, I aint about all the violence.
I am into the comedy. Like your posts...
:dunno:

Yeah whatever, your pm's and negative rep messages tell a much different story then you're telling here. I guess you're trying to backpeddle your way out of looking like such a prick? Oh and no, no big guy or anybody for that matter has ever pummeled my knot.

So you think I'm ranting? Now that's some funny shit, I didn't think even you could be that ignorant. I bet you envison me with a vein bulging on my forehead as I type my replies feverishly? :biglaugh:

Baba Ku

Veteran
I bet you envison me with a vein bulging on my forehead as I type my replies feverishly? :biglaugh:
picture.php
Are you saying that's not a vein?

Atreus

informative thread. if you two could stop quibbling about some thread that happened in the past and put it behind yous, we could all learn something.... just my take.

/flamesuit

select the strong phenotypes your looking for in your parents (female mostly imo), combine the(breed) and hammer it out from the f1's.

i recall reading from some forum that
males: selected for growth/vigor, structure/nodal spacing, and scent/odor/aroma whatever
females: flower production, stature/structure

i'm not too versed on this sexual genotype expression or whatever, so i say take the best that you can get from males/females..

Marick23

Wow

Wow

Took awhile to get through the whole thread. It was great until the last 2 pages anyway. I think this thread is a shinning example of how our differences can promote progress. Throughout the fighting I have learned a ton. Thank you BK, Tom and yes the OP too though to be honest hempkat after the first 3 pages I just skimmed your posts. If I understand the topic and the answers correctly.

It's not possible to "reliably" breed for traits unless you surpass F1.
You would have to breed out to F2 before determining dominant /recessive traits.

The above answer is strictly drawn from the information " I " gathered from this thread. As I am not an expert. I would love to know if I have it correct.

I was wondering if it was possible to get dna tests done on plants to see what markers are dom/rec before even germination? I would think there is a university willing to make some extra income? Anyone know. Thanks again guys for the information. To the guys out there that are tired of the youngsters or newbies, I hope you guys understand that there is a population of newbies out there that are gaining tremendous amounts of perspective, experience, and competence from you. Unfortunately there's a much smaller portion of that population that is actually grateful. I hope that you continue enriching the culture and improving peoples lives. Every single poster in this thread has a goal in common. To help those that want to be helped. (or can be helped) Unfortunately sometimes it became a secondary goal. Through our differences we can compliment our similarities. Unintentional or not that's what happened in this thread.

Just my 2. I doubt you care, but I do so there it is. :thank you:

HempKat

Veteran
informative thread. if you two could stop quibbling about some thread that happened in the past and put it behind yous, we could all learn something.... just my take.

/flamesuit

select the strong phenotypes your looking for in your parents (female mostly imo), combine the(breed) and hammer it out from the f1's.

i recall reading from some forum that
males: selected for growth/vigor, structure/nodal spacing, and scent/odor/aroma whatever
females: flower production, stature/structure

i'm not too versed on this sexual genotype expression or whatever, so i say take the best that you can get from males/females..

For what it's worth I think the quibbling is over. What you recall from some forum is kind of the impression I had starting this thread but since I got all that info from sketch sources I figured the best people to ask were the folks who do it for a living. Which is what led me to naming the thread the way I did.

HempKat

Veteran
Took awhile to get through the whole thread. It was great until the last 2 pages anyway. I think this thread is a shinning example of how our differences can promote progress. Throughout the fighting I have learned a ton. Thank you BK, Tom and yes the OP too though to be honest hempkat after the first 3 pages I just skimmed your posts. If I understand the topic and the answers correctly.

It's not possible to "reliably" breed for traits unless you surpass F1.
You would have to breed out to F2 before determining dominant /recessive traits.

The above answer is strictly drawn from the information " I " gathered from this thread. As I am not an expert. I would love to know if I have it correct.

I was wondering if it was possible to get dna tests done on plants to see what markers are dom/rec before even germination? I would think there is a university willing to make some extra income? Anyone know. Thanks again guys for the information. To the guys out there that are tired of the youngsters or newbies, I hope you guys understand that there is a population of newbies out there that are gaining tremendous amounts of perspective, experience, and competence from you. Unfortunately there's a much smaller portion of that population that is actually grateful. I hope that you continue enriching the culture and improving peoples lives. Every single poster in this thread has a goal in common. To help those that want to be helped. (or can be helped) Unfortunately sometimes it became a secondary goal. Through our differences we can compliment our similarities. Unintentional or not that's what happened in this thread.

Just my 2. I doubt you care, but I do so there it is. :thank you:

I know it's not possible to reliably breed for traits without going beyond the F1 stage. I knew that years before I ever asked my question. What I didn't know was if it mattered which strain was male and which strain female in a given cross. Also that if it did matter what were the things breeders looked at to help make the choice of which is male and female. In wanting to explore that part of the process there is no need to rehash the need to grow out 1000's of plants or detailing how to choose for traits because all of that comes after you make the cross. That's why I specifically tried to narrow the focus by saying I wasn't going to move past the F1 stage and that I was asking more for informational/curiousity purposes. I never had the intention of making a specific cross and so therefore there is no need to explore how you take a cross once it's first made and get it to be a stable product with the qualities you want. I'm not saying that info isn't important just that it wasn't important to me for the purpose I was asking my question.

That was never clearly answered until well past the first three pages. What I've managed to cull from what was said is that which strain is male and which is female doesn't specifically matter as far as reaching the desired end goal of a stable cross with the qualities you were shooting for. In other words both strains genetics are in the mix and so every possible expression will turn up eventually if you grow out enough plants to find every possible expression. I also gathered though that depending on what you want and how the strains you choose are it can sometimes be more advantageous to make a certain strain the male and the other the female. Not in that it will somehow transfer traits that wouldn't be transfered otherwise but because it will be more likely you'll see the combination you want, more quickly going one way versus the other. Therefore there are some advantages to making one strain the male or female over the other but not in terms of what traits will show but more in how quickly the traits you want will show.

inquest

Yup, 100% agree wih your last paragraph Hemp. The more stable your parent stock, the fewer progeny needed to express their possible traits. And, the parent stock should compliment each other in such a way as to fulfill your chosen filial traits (regardless of gender or sexual reversion).

So.... Have you made a list of traits you'd like to see in your garden/smoke?

HempKat

Veteran
Yup, 100% agree wih your last paragraph Hemp. The more stable your parent stock, the fewer progeny needed to express their possible traits. And, the parent stock should compliment each other in such a way as to fulfill your chosen filial traits (regardless of gender or sexual reversion).

So.... Have you made a list of traits you'd like to see in your garden/smoke?

No, not really, right now I'm happy with what I've been growing from other sources. I asked this question purely for informational purposes rather then because I was planning on making some crosses.

Latest posts

Latest posts