What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

shoreline76

I'd take all the product out of the jars and dry it a little longer, at least until it registers ~70% after ~24 hours.

I fully understand your not wanting to disturb the bud. I feel the same way. A couple of things to keep in mind. If the flowers are still very moist - like in this situation - the kief will stick to the bud. Very little will be lost. Personally, I use screens for everything, including the latter stages of drying. Silk screening suppliers usually have ready-made screened frames ready to go at prices MUCH lower than Canna-specific manufactures.

Simon
so we are burping from 70-65 RH on a daily basis right? Thanks in advance simon:thank you:

If the RH in the room is around 55-60% is it safe to assume that the RH in the bud is also around 55-60% once it has properly dried for a few days?

How accurate is the Caliber at measuring the ambient temp and RH in the room?

simon mentioned in an earlier thread that these are accurate to +/-1 for temp and RH. When I got mine within a few minutes out of the box it matched my new digital house thermostat perfectly.

ok, so i put my bud in a jar yesterday after 5 days drying. it's been in there about 24 hours and it's 75F and 65RH. By what I've read in this thread, I should be good to go for a couple weeks without burping, correct?....as long as the RH doesn't go up assuming.

I also read the thread about freezing your bud for 10-20 days and you don't have to worry about the temp and RH. So I took some buds out of the jar and put them in another jar with the lid off and put them in the bottom of the freezer for a couple weeks. Some argue that it's better than this method....smoother smoke, but not as much smell. We will see.

Freezing bud for smoke? Wow personally don't think that's a good idea, unless you're going to smoke it when you take it out of the freezer. Any long term storage is going to be ruined - but again just my opinion & not really backed by any fact (in other words I'm not going to get into a pissing match with any flamers).

Good luck with the experiment. Let us know how it works out.

got it from this thread here
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=186222

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
How is "creative ways to dispose of trash" stickied and yet probably the most informative, useful, immediately applicable thread on all of ICMAG not get the same treatment? I've come back to this thread so many times over the last 6 months. I've turned all my friends onto this thread. Many of them are coming here SPECIFICALLY to read this thread.

Just sticky this bad boy and get it over with.

:yeahthats

I would bet that this thread is more cross linked on this site than any other post. I know I have personally linked this thread at least ten times. It has almost 70,000 views and over 750 replies, please sticky it.

igrowone

Veteran
just a small update on my experience with the caliber III
it did help a lot with 1 cure, results are excellent
that said, i think my caliber has gone bad, RH is reading way high in the ambient air
still changes, but seems like the calibration is way off
any similar experiences?

I chopped my purple diesel today and hung her up to dry. got some 1/2gal ball jars and a hygrometer. gonna try this method out and see how she works.

Attachments

• IMG_9885.jpg
    IMG_9885.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9886.jpg
    IMG_9886.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_9887.jpg
    IMG_9887.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9914.jpg
    IMG_9914.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9916.jpg
    IMG_9916.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 16

spacejes

Ah, perfect timing to find this thread. Chopped some plants some days ago, trainwreck, the smelliest and tastiest trainwreck i´ve ever put my hands on.
I´ve just put the hygrometer in the jar, 65% RH.
I got my jars in the refrigerator when the jars are closed and in a room with 20 degrees C when open.
Is this bad in some way?

Thanks for a good thread!:tiphat:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Ah, perfect timing to find this thread. Chopped some plants some days ago, trainwreck, the smelliest and tastiest trainwreck i´ve ever put my hands on.
I´ve just put the hygrometer in the jar, 65% RH.
I got my jars in the refrigerator when the jars are closed and in a room with 20 degrees C when open.
Is this bad in some way?

Thanks for a good thread!:tiphat:

I wouldn't put them in the fridge. The colder temperatures might slow down the curing process. 70-75F would be a good temperature for the cure.

Yeti

I cure mine in the fridge. Always have. I've always thought the slowest cure possible is ideal. Maybe I'm crazy.

Not sure about moving them in and out, but I wouldn't leave them open in the fridge as they may absorb water. I don't think it will change the quality of smoke significantly however.

I may have to invest in a few of these caliber3 gadgets, makes it much more simple than my usual, open and feel all of the buds and decide whether or not to let breathe method, which I have been trying to find my happy medium for years with, and seems to change every year along with my strain selections.

Hope this helps,
Yeti

anybody know who has the cheapest calibers? I bought mine about two weeks ago and got it shipped for $14. I want two more but the cheapest I found was $40 shipped.

Bulldog11

Veteran
I buy mine from amazon.com. They have new or used for under 20 with shipping. Don't forget to buy the calibrating stuff with it.

Bulldog11

Veteran
Simon, I am currently trying this method out on a ton of pot. I hope it all works out because a lot is a stake. I do have question however.... It seems that the perfect humidity is about 60%. Why couldn't I have a full size room with a humidity at %60 and just let them hang. I mean strait from growing, to curing, instantly. Anybody know of a reason this wouldn't work? If you had a room that would both raise and take away humidity in order to maintain a perfect 60%, then I think your wet weed would slowly dry and cure to that exact percentage without raising the rooms overall humidity.

I would bet a million dollars this is how operations like Richard Lee is setting up will dry their pot. I couldn't see somebody tending huge glass jars, lol.

I buy mine from amazon.com. They have new or used for under 20 with shipping. Don't forget to buy the calibrating stuff with it.

that's where I bought my first one. Now all i see is about $20 a piece shipped. I even went to the store that shipped it and they don't even list the caliber in their inventory. oh well, guess I'll have to pay the high price. as far as the calibrating stuff....they say it never has to be calibrated...ever.

here's a description I found on westernhumidor.com

"The Western Caliber III digital hygrometer accurately measures and displays relative humidity and temperature to assure your cigars are stored in the ideal conditions keeping them in prime smoking condition. Unlike analog gauges, the Caliber III never requires calibration, there are no springs to stretch or moving parts to wear out."

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Bulldog, youve got great timing. Some of you may remember SecondTry from a sticky here. I asked him for tips on slow drying, and he said use the Three 7's. 70F, 70% Rh, >7 days.

I recently did this with a plant I harvested 8 days ago. The temps ranged from 70-75F, 65-80RH. It hung for 7 days before I trimmed it and smoked it. She could have used a bit more drying time, as she's still not ready to be jarred, but the smell is incredible. There was no going from great smelling to hay, and *cross my fingers, hope the smell returns*.

He said you can virtually skip the lengthy curing process. Whether thats true or not, It does make a more consistent product that smells amazing when it goes into the jars.

Oh and with regards to the high humidity and possibility of mold. The buds were tiny as the fan leaves were badly burned by excessive air circulation and never fully developed, so I really never feared much about mold.

I did have a fan about 3 feet across from it and pointed it at a wall away from the plant to allow air circulation without possibility of speeding up the drying process. No signs of mold. I just hung 4 more plants up tonight, with 3 more to be hung tomorrow.

I will let you and anyone else interested how this turns out.

I ended up buying two at JackSchwartz.com last night. It was $40 for two of them shipped. It was the cheapest I could find on the net. thanks for the info

thanks for the heads up on camelcamelcamel Ty! And thanks for the ace hardware tip earlier, i used my 1/2 gal mason jars yesterday and they work perfectly!