What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Chronic777 - you are not alone. I notice the smell comes back back some if you start to open/close the jar frequently in a short period of time. I haven't been able to figure out why this problem occurs to us. Hopefully more chime in...

Air is an integral part of the curing process. Depending on the density of the product and the volume of product inside the jar, one could come across an instance where the quantity of remaining air is not sufficient. You may find that the effect diminishes, as the product is cured for a longer period.

Simon

barth

My RH has stabilized at 59%. I moved the flowers from the large 1 gallon jar to into smaller more tightly packed jars. I will now only open the jar 1 or twice a week for a smell test.

Air is an integral part of the curing process. Depending on the density of the product and the volume of product inside the jar, one could come across an instance where the quantity of remaining air is not sufficient. You may find that the effect diminishes, as the product is cured for a longer period.

Simon

Thanks for the response Simon. So for long term storage I think I am going to fill the jars only 2/3 to 3/4 tops. Most of the jars are filled to the very top right now...

barth

Thanks for the response Simon. So for long term storage I think I am going to fill the jars only 2/3 to 3/4 tops. Most of the jars are filled to the very top right now...

I pack 2 oz in a quart size jar. They are all the way full. They cure fine. I do this after the correct humidity is reached.

dodo5678

so far so good

so far so good

everything appears to be in order here. little off on one, but not too concerned. if i notice any major differences i'll be sure to post. just waiting on some fresh product now :tumbleweed:

-dodo :joint:

Dave Coulier

Veteran
so after ~ 12 hours in the jar it is at 66%RH. So how long do you guys normally "cure" for? I was thinking 3-4 weeks

For as long as you want. Id go at least two weeks though. It took about that long for my Nirvana WW to really start smelling great. If you cure even longer, you may get new and different smells. After two weeks curing my ww smelled real sweet and fruity. After 1.5 months it was spicy & fruity.

chemman14

For as long as you want. Id go at least two weeks though. It took about that long for my Nirvana WW to really start smelling great. If you cure even longer, you may get new and different smells. After two weeks curing my ww smelled real sweet and fruity. After 1.5 months it was spicy & fruity.

awesome, so now that it is at 66% I can take the hygrometer out right?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
I wouldn't just yet. If its been in the jars a week or two and stays at 66% w/o any signs of mold, then Its probably safe to do so, but double check with Simon.

I agree with Dave. If it's stable for 2 weeks at 66%, it's good to go. 12 hours, though, is not enough time. How long ago was the product jarred?

Simon

G

Guywithoutajeep

So I hung my plants for 2 and a half days and the product was pretty dry on the outside so I put them right into jars and they sat right at 58%. Hopefully they didn't dry out too fast because it smelled like hay before I put it in. I was expecting Sour D to come out a little different.

Thanks for the write up. It's so helpful.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Ever think about curing in a cooler stabilized at a desired rh?

Ive wondered this as well. Ive googled curing cabinets, and came across a guy who built one for curing tobacco. Someone should do a curing cabinet DIY tutorial for those that have alot of bud to cure. Any takers?

T

texsativa

Ah man it's much easier than that, coolers work great and many cigar collectors just use them for long term storage. Just get a cooler with silica beads, the lowest I could find is 60% at Heartfelt Ind, but in the cigar world those are the beads to get. Just keep them moistened and they keep the inside at that humidity, don't even need a hygrometer really. And has much larger storage area than jars.

Chronic777

Simon

I've found that for what i've just grown (blue cheese) the taste is coming into the bud when it gets below 60%
My jars are sitting at 63%, when i smoke a bud straight out the jar it tastes stale but if i let it air out first by putting it in a small jar by itself & burp that jar until it gets to 55-59% then the taste & smell really comes through.
I guess the air in the packed jars gets stale pretty easy.

I never thought this would happen as most people in this thread have said their jars at higher RH were always more smelly, i've found the opposite to be true, when i get it to around 55% the smell is incredibly sweet.
Maybe its strain dependent, it was my first harvest so i have no comparison really.
I brought my jars down from 70% very very slowly & i can say without a doubt that getting them down to 55-59% really really brings out the flavour & sweet smell
I guess you just wanna bring it down to that RH as slow as you can

Its been great to see this process unfold, i really thought i'd messed up the flavour as it had been 12 weeks curing yet my bud mostly tasted stale
All i needed was the RH% to drop a few percent & that flavour came back more than before, its really unbeleivable how a few percent makes all the difference
At 12 weeks curing im still on the popcorn nugs so i can only imagine what the proper top colas are gonna be like
This thread needs to be a sticky, i've seen people at other forums talking about it, its becoming the stuff of legends :)

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
... i've seen people at other forums talking about it...

This piqued my curiosity, so I ran a quick Google search. Aside from finding more references than I thought, which surprised me to no end, I came across a hygrometer curing tutorial on another forum:

http://boards.cannabis.com/2087655-post45.html

This individual obviously went though this thread, paraphrased the original post, and ended it with this:

"It took some trial & error between myself & others. About a month ago, a buddy of mine saw a thread on another forum and they were using the same method almost to a "T". So I'm guessing it's a pretty good method."

I see. He and others have been working on this, which explains why he even plagiarized the format of the original post. I guess we should be flattered.

Simon

igrowone

Veteran
i did the bulk of my 'cure' without the meter
did it the 'old fashioned' way by feel, but was nervous about where the bud really was
so i bought the meter, seeing 45% RH
sounds like 'under curing' by the numbers i've seen here
but the bud texture is excellent, i'd call it tender but not moist
odor continues to change, a bit of extra pungency seems to be growing over time
but the confidence in my process has jumped way up
i no longer live in dread to find a mold infested jar
so i'd second the thought that this thread should be a sticky

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
I just got 5 Caliber IIIs and took them out of their packaging. They've sat out on my desk for about 30~ minutes, and the readings are as follows:

1. 74.4f // 42%
2. 75.4f // 42%
3. 75.7f // 40%
4. 75.1f // 41%
5. 74.6f // 39%

Going to go to the local tobacco shop and pick up some calibration kits to get some exact readings. The cure should be starting in less than a week. :D