What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

Chronic777

Cool, my other hygrometers were cheap aswell so thats probly why, good to know that my jars sitting at 69/70% are more likely at 66-69%

You got the Love Simon. I've been curing by feel for years and now you've got me curious as to how calibrated my hand and nose are. I will be giving this a try as soon as I find some meters. Thank you.

Chronic777

I thought id come & add that my jars were NOT stable at 69/70%RH as i posted before, i still got mold, had to throw away more buds today

Needless to say i was slightly pissed, my 3 main colas from my first grow are all gone.
Lesson learned this time though, im never sealing a jar for over a few hours unless its comfortably sitting at 60-65%

Kinda the whole point of this thread
If you ever meet me simon, please punch me in my face

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I thought id come & add that my jars were NOT stable at 69/70%RH as i posted before, i still got mold, had to throw away more buds today

Needless to say i was slightly pissed, my 3 main colas from my first grow are all gone.
Lesson learned this time though, im never sealing a jar for over a few hours unless its comfortably sitting at 60-65%

Kinda the whole point of this thread
If you ever meet me simon, please punch me in my face

That sucks man. I feel for you. I did something stupid and got some mold on my main cola and lost an eighth. I went cheap and just bought one hygrometer and used that as my guide as to when to burp the jars. Well that jar, and all the rest were just fine except for one. A main cola developed mold at the tip. Thankfully I caught it in time before real damage occurred. Im going to be purchasing a few more hygrometers and make sure I do it exactly right from here on out.

You might try using them for canna-butter. Thats what I did with mine. I dont think I should have any problems as Ive read others have done the same with no ill effects.

Chronic777

Im gonna use them to make hash, its all good, they were actually only very slightly moldy but i don't wanna risk smoking them, lesson learned for sure this time, now i know that you can't keep jars sealed if they're too close to 70%, you gotta be in the low 60%'s, and even then air the buds out everyday for the first few weeks, actually taking them out the jars to sit outside for 10/15 minutes...

Already got my next grow going so all good ;)

I should add that i left them on long stems aswell, so this really prolonged the drying, the buds were nice & crispy on the outside but the stems were still very wet...

Next time im gonna do the brown paper bag method for a few days when the outside of buds are crispy and stems fold, keep the bag open on the first day, then scrunch it down further & further etc... and keep a hygrometer in the bag with them ;) when the hygrometer reads 60-65% with the bags closed time to jar them, im thinking this should work pretty well...

K

Kelly.

I'm very happy that folks are seeing positive results.

I received the 3 small, inexpensive, Ebay digital hygrometers from Hong Kong a couple of days ago and immediately popped them into a jar of curing product with a calibrated Caliber. Two of the three read one percentage point higher than the Caliber, and the third reads 2 points higher. Not bad, really, especially for how little they cost. Considering their convenient size, they're an option.

Simon

i think im gonna get 2-3 of each.
ill run them side by side, and split the difference.

thanks for all the info

THC123

Veteran
I also tried it

i put some frisian in a jar , the prob it is always 54-55% in the jar so just about average 0.5% to dry

After one week in the jar i don't see any improvements and when i open the jar i don't smell the perfume of the frisian buds but a stale smell(not ammonia)

When i take a bud out it smells good when i squeeze it.

But this was,'t a fair try i must say , cuz it was herb that dried 14 days then frozen about 6-7 months ago

I have to try it with fresh herb.

Slimm

Simon,

I assume that since the goal is to move moisture deep within the bud into the air surrounding it there is probably some ideal ratio of air to bud. Do you have a recommendation on this?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Simon,

I assume that since the goal is to move moisture deep within the bud into the air surrounding it there is probably some ideal ratio of air to bud. Do you have a recommendation on this?

I prefer to start out with relatively full containers (~90% full, loosely filled). As the flowers decrease in physical size, once the bulk of the initial moisture is evaporated, the containers become ~3/4 full as a result. That's how they stay until the product is packed for storage, etc.

press_n_seal_2.jpg

I don't know if everyone is familiar with Press 'n Seal. It's a plastic wrap on steroids, to use a cliche. Personally, I've always been frustrated with plastic wrap. Not only can it be hideously difficult to work with, but to add insult to injury, it seemingly hates to stick to anything other than itself. Enter, Press 'n Seal. This stuff will make almost anything airtight. Mildly stretched above a given opening with its stickier side down, like over a huge jar, it forms a true seal. And, it's fairly easy to handle, at least compared to its counterparts.

Simon

Fintendo

My first "proper cure" is approaching. Gonna put plants down within a week. The place I'm drying is pretty dry ( humidity 25-30%). Is it better if I water the plants day before chopping? or should I just ignore the dry climate and follow the instructions on the first post and keep myself alerted that they just don't get too dry (ie. jar them earlier) :biggrin: ?

And the other thing. How well those calibers keep their accuracy along the years? Can u recalibrate them?

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
My first "proper cure" is approaching. Gonna put plants down within a week. The place I'm drying is pretty dry ( humidity 25-30%). Is it better if I water the plants day before chopping? or should I just ignore the dry climate and follow the instructions on the first post and keep myself alerted that they just don't get too dry (ie. jar them earlier) :biggrin: ?

I'd suggest following the instructions in the first post. Good luck and congrats on the harvest.

And the other thing. How well those calibers keep their accuracy along the years? Can u recalibrate them?

The Calibers cannot be calibrated.

Simon

N

NicholasSmokes

I now have three of them and it really does make curing much easier. I wonder if the company that makes them has figured out where are the new demand has come from! :)

Doradoguy

Read the first 3 pages of the thread and ordered from amazon. Just placed in jars, will be interesting to see the actual RH. Is this a sticky yet?

Latest posts

Latest posts