What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A perfect cure every time

localhero

Damn I love this method.

Just jarred some afgan kush and thai last night. Before jarring, the afgan stem bent and half snapped, they rh'ed at 65% in the jar. The thai stems bent like straws, i took em down thinking since theyre not as dense that they would be ready maybe sooner. They rh'ed at 70%. Both readings were taken this morning after bein in the jars for 8 hours.

So Simon, my question is this: should i burp my jars in a different place than the drying room? My drying room is 60f and 60% rh.

Really I cant thank you enough for this thread. since i fucked my first go, if not for your method this would have been so much more stressful wondering and waiting and wondering..

Chem&M

So, my jars are sitting at 61% and 62% respectively. I am not burping them anymore and am planning on a long cure. However after 1 week, I'm not noticing any smell improvement. I mean, maybe a little, but what's up? It doesn't smell like hay, but I usually get a bit more of something after a week.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I was just checking out the reviews for the Caliber III on Amazon, and a lot of them were questioning the accuracy. How many of you guys are checking your meters against a calibration product?

Synthettek

Simon, man...
This is the greatest method I've come across. It just takes all the bullshit guesswork out of the equation.

Anyways I harvested a plant of WW and then 2 weeks after, some Sour D.

My RH at my spot is awfully low, never gets much higher than 18% all winter. This method really has brought some flavor back to my nugs. They dry REALLY fast [like 2 - 3 days] because of how low my RH is. So now I put them in jars quicker and start burping as soon as they feel dry to touch and now I've really got a handle on getting some flavor back into them with no guesswork.

Thanks a million. The WW is about 2 weeks into the cure and the Sour D is pretty freshly curing. WW is sitting at 59% and SourD is holding at 62%. When you open the jar of SourD it feels like someone punched you in the face it's so strong. My girlfriend refuses to smell my jars anymore because she says it "makes her dizzy" lol

Thanks buddy... much respect.

Chem&M

So, my jars are sitting at 61% and 62% respectively. I am not burping them anymore and am planning on a long cure. However after 1 week, I'm not noticing any smell improvement. I mean, maybe a little, but what's up? It doesn't smell like hay, but I usually get a bit more of something after a week.

So am I doing something wrong here? In all fairness, it's a strain I've never worked with before.

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
So am I doing something wrong here? In all fairness, it's a strain I've never worked with before.

I bet that's the answer. Cure time and its effect are strain-specific. For example, FMS Grapefruit can be put on the market within 2 weeks of being cut down with well-evident flavor and aroma. Chronic can't, at least not that quickly, relative to a similar intensity.

Simon

Chem&M

I bet that's the answer. Cure time and its effect are strain-specific. For example, FMS Grapefruit can be put on the market within 2 weeks of being cut down with well-evident flavor and aroma. Chronic can't, at least not that quickly, relative to a similar intensity.

Simon

Thanks Simon. I had a feeling that was it. Thankfully I have a ton of Lemon Diesel to tide me over until it's ready.:)

This was such a great idea. I got a bunch of these guys.

Fintendo

Nice One!
This sounds really cool. Just ordered couple of those calibers and hopefully they arrive soon enough for the harvest.

Just got two meters in the mail... Right now I am at day 43 flowering with 10 different strains... I'm very excited to get the best smell possible!

I'm intrigued to try curing without having to burp all the time...

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Just got two meters in the mail... Right now I am at day 43 flowering with 10 different strains... I'm very excited to get the best smell possible!

I'm intrigued to try curing without having to burp all the time...

I over-burped by last batch, and had no clue how badly I was doing it until now. My latest ladies got a 3 day hanging dry, then went into the jars. 3 days later, and I have finally opened them for a burping just a bit ago.

I can't wait to give them a good sniff test in a week or so to see how good they smell now that they're being properly cured.

djslife

Hey guys,

I'm going to get a grow going this season and I've been interested in using the Caliber when I finally do harvest. My question for you is how many days do you like to hang dry the buds before jarring them? I've read a lot of people saying wait till you can here the stem snap when bent, but I'm not sure if you guys have a better way.

Thank you :thank you:

-djslife

after receiving my hygrometers, i have been putting them in jars of bud i have stashed around to measure the RH and see how close i've come to getting the moisture content in the cure zone...

i found one jar that measures at 74% humidity. the jar in question is filled with bud that normally reaks but this jar just doesnt. seems ive found the problem!

i am assuming that the best course of action would be to continue to try to lower the RH to the target cure zone. i'm going to start by leaving the lid off the jar overnight.

will the product still cure effectively despite sitting at 74% RH in a jar for so long? I inspected and found no signs of mold...

Before I jar, I've been drying in my Trader Joe's brown paper bags. Works like a charm. I wonder if Trader Joe's knows their bags not only hold groceries, but they dry my weed!

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Before I jar, I've been drying in my Trader Joe's brown paper bags. Works like a charm. I wonder if Trader Joe's knows their bags not only hold groceries, but they dry my weed!

<grin> The beauty of a hygrometer lies in knowing which stage the product is in. As such, involved drying methods are simply unnecessary, as there's no guesswork.

Simon

simon

Weedomus Maximus
Veteran
Hey guys,

I'm going to get a grow going this season and I've been interested in using the Caliber when I finally do harvest. My question for you is how many days do you like to hang dry the buds before jarring them? I've read a lot of people saying wait till you can here the stem snap when bent, but I'm not sure if you guys have a better way.

In essence, one should jar the product right before the stems begin to snap. If you read through the thread, you'll come across several descriptions of the process. Post back if you have questions. Good luck.

Simon