What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A new start

unnamedmike

Hello Palindrome. I'm a fan of this thread, but I had not commented yet. Sad to hear of the failure in your light. In case I can help ... Have you checked the temperature reached by the dead LEDs? If the voltage / amperage is correct, only with heat I have managed to kill some led.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
@Ganoderma As Lost in a SOG said, all the LED chips died. I have alsu been abusing them hard, but it's been fun and I have learned alot.

@unnamedmike Hello and welcome, I have no clue how I should go about figuring that out. I have just concluded they died and changed them, it might be heat killing them.
I got a few failed chips in the 700 mA light, but not nearly as many as the 1400 mA one had before total failure.

They are running fairly high voltage, as they are running in series on a Constant current driver.

Anyway the COB light is up and running, or most of it is.
Not sure why, but I wasn't able to run 16 COB strips.
They lit up but only used 50 Watt total, then removed one and it jumped to 100W and was a lot brighter.
Removed another strip and they lit up for real, power use was 197 Watt and it was slowly going up as the COB's where heating up.
Or the driver is fucked!

Added the dimmer, but running them full strength

Dimmed

And plants under the 14 new COBS

The new COB light draws 207 Watt at the wall

Last edited:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Nice! Cheeeesy :yummy:

Strips are great.. i use solstrips, theyre good and i like his red blue supp strip..

They are a bit more powerful @30-45W, and expensive at 20$, than yours there but you could use less and they will live a long long time compared. Like 50,000 hours if you sink them well.

Ive started having fun putting individual chips on sinks how i want them spread.. really nerdy and geeky stuff but really fun.

Some equipment like the bluefish controller will let you put in a location like somewhere in the hindu kush mountains for example and the light will simulate it with the different spectrum channels being controlled independently.

Different cannabis genetic lines seem react differently in expression in complex ways in response to all different cues in light, or lack of cues, which would make sense since they came from all different places around the world originally. Just my nerding out on light and leds lately..

Cant you put double the amount in and run them softer? They might die less often and give even more spread. Just a random thought, might not be doable..

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Nice! Cheeeesy :yummy:

Strips are great.. i use solstrips, theyre good and i like his red blue supp strip..

They are a bit more powerful @30-45W, and expensive at 20$, than yours there but you could use less and they will live a long long time compared. Like 50,000 hours if you sink them well.

Ive started having fun putting individual chips on sinks how i want them spread.. really nerdy and geeky stuff but really fun.

Some equipment like the bluefish controller will let you put in a location like somewhere in the hindu kush mountains for example and the light will simulate it with the different spectrum channels being controlled independently.

Different cannabis genetic lines seem react differently in expression in complex ways in response to all different cues in light, or lack of cues, which would make sense since they came from all different places around the world originally. Just my nerding out on light and leds lately..

Cant you put double the amount in and run them softer? They might die less often and give even more spread. Just a random thought, might not be doable..

The flower strips are 900 mA 41Watt strips, but they are run at 500 mA = 23 Watt per strip. It's a older chip then Solstrip uses, it's the Samsung LM651b chip.
They give 25 lumen less per watt then the one SolStrip use, but they where only 10$ per strip. Also in EU, so I didn't have to pay import tax and customs.
I don't think 25 lm per watt will make that big a difference, on this small scale growing.
Sure for the horticulture industry, running greenhouses with supplement light. Warehouse medical production, for them it make alot of sense.

The Cheap Veg light is just for the fun of testing, I already have the strips I use for flower for veg as well.
Once the new veg cabinet is done, I will build light fitting the cabinets dimentions.

So far I think the test grow is going well, im learning a bunch I hope :D

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Im in the UK and have been using led-tech.de for various bits..

I just ask our US friends to lie on the declaration which they often kindly do.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Here they are apparently smarter then in the UK, as here they open alot of the packs and if they feel the price seems too low.
They simply ask to see your transaction, and you get taxed from the payment record.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
pros ask to split the payments ;)

Pro or not pro ... Here you can't import anything over 14$ without paying import tax, buying Solstrips at 20$ a peace.
I would be splitting that up in 93 payments, and paying shipping on 93 packs.

The math just don't add up

Not when I could get a strip, that have the "old" Samsung chip at 10$ per strip.
I saved about 600 $ on the strips alone, and didn't have to pay shipping either.
I hung a strip more per closet, making up for the lesser light compared to the newest chips.
Now powering it will cost a bit more, but with an estimated guess. I can power the 6 extra strips, for a very very long time, with the nearly 600$ saved alone on buying the "old" chip.

This is without calculating with saving import tax and shipping, from USA to Europe.

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Here they are apparently smarter then in the UK, as here they open alot of the packs and if they feel the price seems too low.
They simply ask to see your transaction, and you get taxed from the payment record.

Bastards!!

Sheer volume i think keeps the crown from going through every last thing thank god plus they already get 70%+ of all our earnings in one way or another through taxation.. we'll all be cashless soon anyway, everything tracked..

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Here they just make you wait, I got packages I can see arrived to the country in April.
Still waiting on gettin cleared thru customs, it can be a long wait some times.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Transplanted the weird little triplet, that I seperated from that "squid" seed with 3 tap roots.
The two other sisters where too intertwined, to seperate them from the start.
This one have been developing slowly in the shade of it's bigger sisters, but it was time to give it some space and light to develop.

Dug it up gently

Placed it in a cup of starter soil, and gave it some pH adjusted water.

And stuck it back under the light, elevated next to it's siblings.

They have streached a bit under the COB lights, but looks healthy.
I also just upped the nutrients a bit, so that might just be new growth.

They are mainly bottom fed now, tho I still give them a good douch.
To keep the top of the hydroton, and soil rootball moist for now.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to try and nurse the oddities that pop up from time to time. Sometimes it's worth it, other times it's not productive. Either way I want to see what happens!

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
I had a triploid one time that I kept around, hoping something good would come of it... It ended up just magically fixing itself on its own. :frown:

Latest posts

Latest posts