What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A lb from a 400 HPS, try II: 20 untrained 3' plants

G

(Please excuse any picture foulups. My fault for not nam,ing them individually. Several pics fromthis thread got replaced.)

Well, they should be close to 3' by the time theyre finished, anyway. About a foot tall now in the third week of veg.

This grow will be to push the limits of the 400 HPS even more than the last time. I wont be training these plants, just letting them grow up to be the single cola plant they were always intended to be. I have been inspired by the growers in Overgrows fluorescent forum. Many of you would be shocked to hear that flowering with fluoros has been done to the tune of .5 grams per watt and better on a regular basis. Right now, a grower named DubPhiend is shooting for the holy grail itself, a full gram per watt using 480 watts of fluoroscent light. He expects to yield a pound. With fluoros. Amazing. The link below is to Dubs thread. Be warned, he is on day 23 of veg and it has over 250 posts. LOL.

http://www.overgrow.com/edge/showthread.php?p=6663620#post6663620

Anyway, many of these all fluoro grows get plants that are 18" tall and better using shoplights. I have always been of the school of thought that fluoros could not flower plants that size without growing out some leafy, airy budlets instead of colas and yellowing the bottom leaves due to lack of light. Wrong. These are actual colas, 2" thick, 4" long with hefty side buds. Seeing that, I began to wonder if the 400 HPS was underestimated in the same way. We all say the 400 has a limited effective distance for strong plant growth, about what we say about fluoros only on a larger scale.

I began to get the idea of doing sort of a giant SOG. 20 plants in 20 sqf at 20 watts per sqf (or 2000 lumens per sqf.) I would grow them into one gallon planters under the fluoros for as long as that much soil would support the plants, then transplant to three gallons and move them to to the flower room. There would be plenty of soil for them to grow into to make it to harvest, so roots becoming bound is not a problem. I really haveno dea what to expect from this grow, so take it easy on me if it's a colossal failure.

Below begins my diary

G

The strain is Sweet Cindy X Ortega.

Here they are several weeks ago, freshly rooted to soil after cloning in a cup of water. They're a little droopy from having their environment changed so radically

I recycle my soil. I have never seen the need to throw it out when perfectly good techniques exist to clean and reuse it with the exact same success as the time before. Here is about 75 gallons of cleaned Pro-Mix and perlite. If you added it all up, that's prolly $100 right there. No small change for me.

I'll be using one gallon planters to begin with. A light superthirve and veg fert dose is all I use to stimulate them. I have recently heard that a light high P dose will actually transition them to soil better than a N dose. Dont ask me why it works better, but I'll be trying it out to see.. :D

Once transplanted to my little guys, it's under the fluoros for the lot of em. Here they sat for not quite three weeks

G

Here we are with a foot of growth. Some leaves are just beginning to turn yellow and petioles are slightly reddening. These girls are filling it up. It's time for transplant

You can see I use a lot of perlite in the mix

A few of the plants were left too close to the surface of the new soil and the large watering weakened the base, causing the entire thing to lean over.

A tri support of pipe cleaners supports the stem in place very well. They are looped so they can remain on the plant to harvest, no constriction. Hopefully I wont have to do any more supports from above

Nearly all the soil used

G

12 under the veg lights

3 under the mother light

and the last 5 under the HPS, where he rest will be shortly

mrwags

********* Female Seeds
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes It's possible

Yes It's possible

Yes Ice it's possible as a matter of fact I know a guy that has it going on right now and so does HOG. Good going on using your space. I no way shape or form trying to hijack ya man buy wanted everybody to know it's possible.

I ended up with 14 big 3 footers and 3 mini's and will get well over a pound when it's done. I must say your last grow did inspire me so you to Cap can take alot of credit. Looking forward to your next run because we always learn something and thats what keeps us all coming back. These little mini bud box's are fun but HOG had made me want some buckets for some of those tree's he makes look so good. Your gonna get it this time I know and have pulled up a chair and got my ticket for this one. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

Mr.Wags

Well I'm in for this one. I've got 2 42W cfls in my flower room right now until I can get my 400W HPS lights. They're actually doing really well. I can't wait to see what Cap's got going. I learned a lot from him so far, so I'm ready to learn more!!!
:smile:

G

nice cap,last time out wasnt bad, just a bit of tweakin eh:D

have 13 under the 400 this time out myself. gonna weight it out this time, ya have me wonderin what im bringin in.

be followin along
CBF

Ice Cold

How high do you have to keep the light of the plants to cover that kinda space???

How do you go about cleaning the dirt?? I try to reuse some of my pro mix but it is always soooo rootty (word??)

I just noticed this... why are the "friends" drinking beers, and not hitting bongs.. :friends: :mad:

G

I'm logging in on this one and pulling for yah Cap... nice plan... nice show.

G

-Hey HOG, welcome to the spit seat. I been known to spew some spittle from a big bong rip, so take no offense and spit right back! :D

-Ice Cold, I hear ya. My ole lady thinks I'm nuts, too.

mrwags said:
Yes Ice it's possible as a matter of fact I know a guy that has it going on right now and so does HOG. Good going on using your space. I no way shape or form trying to hijack ya man buy wanted everybody to know it's possible.

I ended up with 14 big 3 footers and 3 mini's and will get well over a pound when it's done. I must say your last grow did inspire me so you to Cap can take alot of credit. Looking forward to your next run because we always learn something and thats what keeps us all coming back. These little mini bud box's are fun but HOG had made me want some buckets for some of those tree's he makes look so good. Your gonna get it this time I know and have pulled up a chair and got my ticket for this one. Thanks for sharing. :smile:

Mr.Wags

Mr Wags, those plants are spectacular! I can guarantee you mine wont look like that this time around. This is a new strain and I can already tell she is going to be a P hog even in veg. Thanks for stopping by and feel free to comment.

MsHerbalivation said:
Well I'm in for this one. I've got 2 42W cfls in my flower room right now until I can get my 400W HPS lights. They're actually doing really well. I can't wait to see what Cap's got going. I learned a lot from him so far, so I'm ready to learn more!!!
:smile:

Were all learning MsH. I'm just now learning this strain and this soil mix is on it's first....er......second time around. I know how Pro-Mix does right out fo the bag, dont know how it'll respond to being cleaned and dried, how the organic material will deteriorate, if the Ph will be an issue, etc.

Thanks for stopping by to you too!

-zepplindude, I'm totally in the dark as to what this Ill bring in. I kinda used the lb title as much as a tie in to my last big thread as to what I think it'll yield. But we'll see, My frame of reference is pretty small, one comparison grow using a 2" 4" and 6" clone. The big one was trained LST, the middle one was topped and the small one was left alone to grow single cola. They all ended up yielding within a few grams of each other.That 2" clone grew nine times it's size and yielded 20 grams, give or take.

CBF said:
nice cap,last time out wasnt bad, just a bit of tweakin eh:D

have 13 under the 400 this time out myself. gonna weight it out this time, ya have me wonderin what im bringin in.

be followin along
CBF

Yeah, just a bit, lol. I'm gonna love not having to train 20 plants for six weeks. That will actually be worth some scrifice to me to get more time upstairs. Let me know how your doin with that weight, please :wave:

Ice Cold said:
How high do you have to keep the light of the plants to cover that kinda space???

How do you go about cleaning the dirt?? I try to reuse some of my pro mix but it is always soooo rootty (word??)

Last time I did a 20 watt per sqf grow, the 400 was kept about 24" off the tops. I'll do the same this time but rotate the planters more often to keep them in the light better.

I find the thread where I detailed it and leave you a link. I'd put it up here for you, but I think this thread will have quite enough pictures as itis. :wink:

-sunnyside, shoot, of couse I forgot the strain. I'll go edit it in the first page after I tell you it is Sweet Cindy X Ortega, as cross I have yet to smoke in it's sensimilla form

agent 420 said:
Cap,

Why have you decied to not use LST this go around? Comparing results?

Yeah, pretty much. I figured being five ounces away from my goal was too much for simple changes in the plan. Even though I have trained almost every plant I have ever grown, the few that I havent have always yielded very well despite everything. Add that to my new look at the inverse square law from the fluoro people and a single cola try was an easy decision.

It's 1 AM and i'm tired and going to bed. I'll finish up in the AM. Goodnight

G

I always enjoy your threads Caprichoso, :joint:
All the best for your goals :canabis:

G

Thanks Leeroy, appreciate it :)

I've filled in the posts above with some more pics and text. I'll put out a pic of all 20 in a minute. I just left them under the HPS till tonight when my desired 12 hour dark schedule will begin. It'll help transition them to HID if nothing else.

If you look at the pics, my light is orientated improperly. I have to change it around so the pointed ends of the bulb aim at the long wall. This will cast the most light down the long way of my space, filling in the ends better than the last grow, with any luck

Ics, how I recycle my soil is in this thread by HOG

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=8286