What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Hillbilly's memoire of organic outdoor grown canadian strains.

Hillbilly69

That's the plan pipeline, just cutting the mold out for now trying to buy time. I take the whole bud that has mold, then cut out the moldy part and dry the rest as testers.
The affie is notorious for molding along the stem where the bud is tight against it.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thats a good way to do it, but i do more micro surgery to allow as much to grow as possible. I cut out the single moldy budsite, but leave the ones without mold. Sometimes I end up having to cut it off later because mold comes back, but not always.

Seed in the flower will definitely promote mold. Getting good rains this week. Hoping the weather dries out for September!

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Plants are just too packed with buds to resist mold, very little air space...

View attachment 18875547
Very dense buds can be thinned out by removing tiny buds off the main stalk while they are still green like the bud above. While the plant is alive and first budding, take some clean scissors and snip off parts of the top to expose air to the stem. Snip off the popcorn buds every inch or two. Mandala seed company showed me this trick and it works well.

Hillbilly69

The Iranians are packing on the weight. One has denser buds than the other. Both are getting hit with mold but whats weird is that the one with the airier buds is molding more than the one with dense buds. So far it looks like they're a little less mold prone than the auto affie. But the affie is a little ahead of the Iranians...
20230812_205824.jpg
20230812_205958.jpg
20230812_205838.jpg

Hillbilly69

Well, looking like another week with no sun :cautious:
Might have to harvest early to avoid loosing those big colas to mold.... Been such a terrible summer for growing.

• Sad
Reactions: Rgd

Rgd

Veteran
you will have some decent colas..you grew everything well

and harvesting early = better than mold

still a great thread bro

Hillbilly69

Thanks Rgd, that's the way I see it, the little extra I would get by leaving them an extra week will not outweigh what I could loose to mold. The trichs are mostly milky (70-80%) just not much amber (which I usually like).

MadMac

far beyond driven...
The Iranians are packing on the weight. One has denser buds than the other. Both are getting hit with mold but whats weird is that the one with the airier buds is molding more than the one with dense buds. So far it looks like they're a little less mold prone than the auto affie. But the affie is a little ahead of the Iranians...
View attachment 18876721 View attachment 18876722 View attachment 18876724
looking great!
well are those also from Dr. Greenthumb?
those looking much more auto than the one i'll used....
IMG_2538.jpeg

IMG_3595.jpeg

IMG_3800.jpeg

IMG_3882.jpeg

well l end i'll took the most sativa looking because of the high... early trigger was in every plant...
thx for sharing!
M.:smoker:

Hillbilly69

looking great!
well are those also from Dr. Greenthumb?
those looking much more auto than the one i'll used....
View attachment 18877226
View attachment 18877227
View attachment 18877229
View attachment 18877230
well l end i'll took the most sativa looking because of the high... early trigger was in every plant...
thx for sharing!
Yes sir, they are indeed Dr greenthumb IAF. Mine were very consistent as seedlings so was hard to pick any winners. I have one that has more airy sativa buds and the other has dense indica like buds. The sativa pheno seems less resistant to mold. You can keepthem vegging under 24 hours of light. I grew them for 6 weeks indoors under 24 hrs and they started budding fairly quickly outside. I'm probably going to start taking some of the bigger colas to avoid loosing them to mold. A lot of rainy days forcasted over next week... Will report back on smoke.
Good luck with your IAF!

Hillbilly69

Well, your going to want to pheno hunt if your planning to put a good number of IAF outdoors. I've got two plants and 2 phenos, one is not impressive at all.
One has some very loose buds but despite the better airflow it has molded very badly. Just peppered with it. Slow trimming because of the lack of density, and a lot of long stemed leaves.
The other denser pheno seems much more mold resistant but there's still a little. Hoping it turns out better...
Neither have buds that resembles the auto affie.
This is the pheno I don't like... some mold on over 75% of buds

20230812_205824.jpg
20230814_175237.jpg
20230814_174256.jpg

Last edited:

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Well, your going to want to pheno hunt if your planning to put a good number of IAF outdoors. I've got two plants and 2 phenos, one is not impressive at all.
One has some very loose buds but despite the better airflow it has molded very badly. Just peppered with it. Slow trimming because of the lack of density, and a lot of long stemed leaves.
The other denser pheno seems much more mold resistant but there's still a little. Hoping it turns out better...
Neither have buds that resembles the auto affie.
This is the pheno I don't like... some mold on over 75% of buds

View attachment 18877419 View attachment 18877420 View attachment 18877421
that's bad....
well what you can do to prevent it is to use this spray...
there some other solutions ... but this worked for me a few times...
also against powdery mildew ... could finished seeded plants with it...
if you spray it the last 4 weeks when bud's build up... a few times...

MadMac

far beyond driven...
Or just grow strains that are more tolerant of the crappy weather we get... Hopefully the freezeland do better...
can sent you some of my IA Haze when ready this winter ;-)
pic's from 10 day's ago...
IMG_7003.jpeg
IMG_7013.jpeg

looks like this ... starting begin august to flower ...
it's IA/OHz x OHzS1... took the first who start flowering and will self(4) them to get some variation...

Hillbilly69

Wow, nice plant! Looks like a winning cross, has the same red leaf stems as the IAF.
What lat are you at? They'd probably be too late for this region.

Hillbilly69

Couldn't handle seeing the auto affies mold up, so I harvested them. It was day 58 of flower. I like to usually give them 60 days from outdoor planting but with the lack of sun this year they probably could have gone 65 days. Trichoms were mostly (80%) milky with a few amber.
Was able to salvage some tops... Buds are super dense!
20230815_210557.jpg

Last edited:

40degsouth

Hey everyone.
Hillbilly69, I’ve really enjoyed following along and it’s a bummer about the mould. I’ve grown quite a few of Doc’s strains and found most of them to be, what I’d call, mould resistant. The Ozone certainly didn’t do well for me here and the buds looked like that photo you posted, full of mould; mind you, l should say, l was a bit of a newb when I grew it but everything else from him did turn out well.
The Endless Sky was some of the strongest pot I’ve ever grown. In fact I watched a friend of mine who was an all day everyday smoker crawl around my living room floor for an hour or so telling me how wasted he was, after one bong. Probably took that one to a little bit too much amber🤣🤣
I got my seeds before he allegedly lost the cut so some people say it’s not the same but l find this hard to believe. I know Bodhi held the cut and used it for seed production and it is funny that around this same time he swapped it out for another plant to produce a plant of the same name., so l surmise the Doc bought it back.
Anyway l did purchase some of the Iranian Autos from Dr Greenthumb but they never turned up. l was more bummed about the loss of my secure address than anything else so l never ordered from him again because he won’t do secure posting; at least he didn’t then.
I’ve learnt a lot about plant health and disease prevention since those days and I won’t go on about high nitrogen feeds during flower but l did think I’d find some of Tom Hill’s information in the “Growing Large Plants Outdoors Thread” and post it up. I hope it helps you, or someone else, out a bit.
E7FA0D0F-F15A-4C5A-8992-42E319F9ABB5.png

P.S. Calcium citrate has a small enough particle size for foliars too.
Cheers,

Hillbilly69

Hey 40, I live in an area where mold is the biggest risk to outdoor plants. We just have years where it rains alot with high humidity. 28-30 degree weather with 100% humidity just promotes mold like crazy. So I always expect to loose some to mold. If I loose less than 15-20% I consider that strain fairly mold resistant for my area.
I don't feed my plants with waterings, the soil is an organic mix I do in the spring, plunk the plants in and only pure water after that. So makes it a little harder to control feedings and nitrogen levels.
As for the Iranian, only one pheno molded up bad, the other seems a little more resistant, I took the tops a little early because I didn't want them to turn to mush, but the rest of the plant is still out there.
Tom Hill is a great grower, I do the caco3, but mixed in the soil and during flower I add some suggar daddy which is high in sulfur. If I used actual liquid ferts I'd probably be able to control things a little more...

Reactions: Rgd

Hillbilly69

Harvested this IAF, it's the one that had denser buds. This pheno was much better than the other one. Buds are denser, had some mold but much less than the other and smells really good. This pheno also has the pink hairs, really packed some weight with clusters of buds... Fairly long flowering period, I let this one go 76 days!
During a good season this pheno of the IAF would do awesome, early finish, fairly mold resistant (better than average), and packs on the weight. Pheno hunting this one and cloning would be best.
And finally I'm not convinced the IAF is an S1 of auto affie. I could beleive it's a cross with AA though...

20230812_205958.jpg

20230825_162945.jpg