unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
there's only one choice for tassels,hello kitty
1691103993521.png

Chi13

ICMag Donor
the initial climb isn't so bad except for one very sandy section,it's all the shilly shallying waiting for the group to re-group...plus the section to get into the canyon i recall as being kinda dicey,then the canyon itself is no picnic...
and i admit it's mostly my crappy attitude towards riding with a bunch of people...i end up getting annoyed...if i'm riding i want to ride,not stop every 10 minutes...
I joined a hiking group a while ago and it just drove me nuts. I like walking fast but kept having to go back for others dawdling or stopping for snacks. A lot of my walking is in rainforest and if you stop even for a minute you become a leech magnet. I guess leeches aren't an issue for you though.

bigtacofarmer

Veteran
Going to ride a trail named Gruber's grinder in the morning. I asked my daughter if she wanted to go to a flow trail or something more technical. She picked technical. This trail is supposed to be 15.5 miles of tight twisty single track with lots of hills and roots. Should be a fun morning.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I joined a hiking group a while ago and it just drove me nuts. I like walking fast but kept having to go back for others dawdling or stopping for snacks. A lot of my walking is in rainforest and if you stop even for a minute you become a leech magnet. I guess leeches aren't an issue for you though.
true,no leeches here,just rattlesnakes,scorpions,tarantulas,spiky plants,cactus,and chupacabras!

not surprisingly the main people i ride with wear sandals and regular clothes to ride in,not goofy lycra outfits,and like to get high and ride bikes...also not in any particular hurry but also don't shilly shally around...and come prepared for the ride with tools,tire repair stuff,a pump...enough food and water,proper clothing...and they are the people that ride from home,there's no parking lot meeting,we ride to the meeting spot and go..and keep a pretty solid pace throughout the ride...on long backcountry rides it's crucial to cover ground efficiently...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And I thought my 2.5" tires were big lol. Looks like fun.
I was working at a bike shop in steamboat in early 2000 and the welder at moots made a custom ti fat tire snow bike by welding two standard rims together. Well it was hanging on the wall so not sure when it was made but definitely before it's time.
i'vee seen some of the original welded rims like that in alaska...

fatbikes are great in the desert,only problem for me is i don't know anyone else i like to ride with that has one,and our usual rides it's too much bike 90% of the time...

2.6 for the win here,enough float for the sandy bits,still fast on the rest

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Going to ride a trail named Gruber's grinder in the morning. I asked my daughter if she wanted to go to a flow trail or something more technical. She picked technical. This trail is supposed to be 15.5 miles of tight twisty single track with lots of hills and roots. Should be a fun morning.
the trails here are so blown out with no rain,almost no fun...plus the bearing killing nano dust...

3rdCoastReggie

i'vee seen some of the original welded rims like that in alaska...

fatbikes are great in the desert,only problem for me is i don't know anyone else i like to ride with that has one,and our usual rides it's too much bike 90% of the time...

2.6 for the win here,enough float for the sandy bits,still fast on the rest
Back in the day we were outcasts riding in the Rockies with 6", fat tires, and flat pedals lol

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yup,when i started riding the trails around here there was rarely that many people out,even on the tuesday night rides there might be a dozen people...now it's a full parking lot on tuesdays and waaay too many people and there's dozens of illegal trails popping up...great there's more people on bikes and all,but there's a down side as well

Chi13

ICMag Donor
yup,when i started riding the trails around here there was rarely that many people out,even on the tuesday night rides there might be a dozen people...now it's a full parking lot on tuesdays and waaay too many people and there's dozens of illegal trails popping up...great there's more people on bikes and all,but there's a down side as well
Some of my walking trails that were almost free of people a few years ago are now full of mountain bikers. This exploded during covid lockdowns and hasn't abated since. I love the fact that people are getting out in nature and getting fit, but yeah, the downside is the damage, particularly people not sticking to trails but making their own.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i'm one to talk,i often ride an obscure bit of trail although it's really just marked with rocks here and there,but it's also been there for like 20 years...but certainly not an official trail