What's new

A Guide to Fishsticks

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Has anyone had plant issues caused by to much light?. I noticed when I turned on my 320w hlg LED plants where not liking it. I had is raided as up as far as it would go.. Plants where not responding well to it. I took it out and replaced with a 315w CMH. I'm seeing improvements in plants health withing 24 hrs. I do not see the same issue with the GC 420w led. I built the HLG using 2 3.5k boards and 1 4k board. I need to do more testing with it and see.

Ive been playing with higher [leaf surface] temperatures with LEDs lately. Compared to an HPS the leaf surface temperature is generally 5°F lower. Im running my air temps up to 84°F and noticed they can take more light.

Ive been playing with VPD as well...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:mornin campers...

an exciting day of waiting...gotta go to wallyworld again,and then have people to deal with all day...so i'm guessing that means waiting for them...got stuff to do in the garden of course...there's always something that needs to be cleaned or watered or sprayed or....

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I’m sticking with Good Old fashion high pressure sodium lamps ..mainly one thousand watt bulbs with dimmable ballasts and I have supplemental bulbs at lower wattage for doing different kinds of configurations ,but I’ve been using HPS for so long and I already have all the equipment

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:watchplant: i guess you could say i have embraced led lighting at this point...i have like 15 led lamps now...and more tents than you can shake a stick at...
leds are certainly easier to work with...no more screaming hot bulbs to worry about,nice to not have to replace them or deal with getting rid of them...

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Have you guys used the Bestva DC4000?
Huge lies in their advertising. They say one covers 7.5 x 8.5'. I would have never picked this, but a buddy bought them, and then decided growing wasn't for him at that time.

I had to throw 2 of them in a 4x4. Lol. And their "4000 watts" only pulls just over 600 watts from the wall, but that's with both veg and bloom switches on. In bloom it pulls about 275w and in veg it uses about 335 actual watts.

I'm worried about blooming.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone had plant issues caused by to much light?. I noticed when I turned on my 320w hlg LED plants where not liking it. I had is raised up as far as it would go.. Plants where not responding well to it. I took it out and replaced with a 315w CMH. I'm seeing improvements in plants health within 24 hrs. I do not see the same issue with the GC 420w led. I built the HLG using 2 3.5k boards and 1 4k board. I need to do more testing with it and see.

Probably need to dim it a bit

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Freaking cold out there today. Tree trimming. I can't seem to warm up. Going to get in the hot tub and blaze one while waiting for the lights to come on.

I am definitely liking what I see with the LED. I really love having a power strip run the whole shebang and not stressing big ol 1k's burning away. Around the first of the year I will have side by side LED vs HPS and I want to see the difference in potency and terps, as that is where I think the weakness lies with LED, if in fact there is a weakness.

@Hammerhead that bud at around 80 days looks so awesome, old school powerful dank looking man, wow drooling!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wallbash: ah dear baby jeebus!

another afternoon wasted waiting in line at wallyworld...at least this time i had my folding camp chair with me...and i was high as fuck which helped with everything except cotton mouth!

about all i got accomplished today is scoring some shrooms for one of my riding buddies...at least it's the cute blonde riding buddy this time!

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive been playing with higher [leaf surface] temperatures with LEDs lately. Compared to an HPS the leaf surface temperature is generally 5°F lower. Im running my air temps up to 84°F and noticed they can take more light.

Ive been playing with VPD as well...

Probably need to dim it a bit

I don't know why it's doing that. It is a freaking bright light for sure. I could tell the next day after swapping to CMH the plants were looking much better. That's my main veg tent. It's got 3 315w CMH in it now.
The 5x5 tent has the GC 420w led. The 2x4 tent isn't used at the moment it has the Mars sp-250. I might put the HLG in the 2x4 to test it.

The 3 lighter shades of green are the FB x A5hbx x FP. The rest are DBMH..

picture.php

Last edited:

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Oh shoot, we're you talking about the 320 over seedlings Hammer? Think I cut mine to 50% and was still 3 feet away from young plants. The ones I mentioned, that got bleached at 18", we're 3 feet tall and in full flower.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
Going to set up another tent for yet another trial....equatorial sativa, 12-18 week flower time. Will get clones and flip them right off the get-go. Blue spectrum 11on/13off schedule.

picture.php

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't know why it's doing that. It is a freaking bright light for sure. I could tell the next day after swapping to CMH the plants were looking much better. That's my main veg tent. It's got 3 315w CMH in it now.
The 5x5 tent has the GC 420w led. The 2x4 tent isn't used at the moment it has the Mars sp-250. I might put the HLG in the 2x4 to test it.

The 3 lighter shades of green are the FB x A5hbx x FP. The rest are DBMH..

View Image

I'd put my money on par stress. What heatsink did you use, the 2 or 3 board?
I use the 3 board heatsinks with 2 boards and inventronics 320 watt drivers. My par meter reads on average 800 24" under my 320 watt fixtures. I don't dim them but will run em at 3' above smaller plants. I start the plants under sabers running at 100 watts each about 6" apart and 2' above the canopy.

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Btw, for the regulars here I'll give ya the brother in-law deal. 15%off wholesale starting tomorrow at noon till the 30th.

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i wish hlg would add blue chips to their lights,the hlg 550's i have are so much better made than the mars stuff but i like the results from the mars lights a lot more...that siad at some point i will upgrade away from them...

by the time you order a new led it's already old tech!