What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

A Guide to Fishsticks

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It doesn't have to be old growth lumber. It has to do with the direction of the grain. If you look at the grain rings you can see that the wood grain is not the same direction. So across the grain from side to side shrinks differently than from the center out. So when you look at the tree rings and they are not the same on each side of the board you know that one will cup twist or bow. All depends which way the grain runs.

And that does not even take into account the grain be cut from end to end differently. That leads to even more issues.

But they do care about grain direction because you lose wood cutting for grain direction.

Anyways with out pictures it is hard to describe. But if you use wood with good grain structure in the right places you can save a lot of problems latter. But it is almost impossible to get wood like that out of the stack.

i know what you're talking about...

that's kinda what i was getting at,the trees they cut are small so they have to maximize and that means fewer prime cuts...

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I remember one summer I was working for a builder one of my chores was to go to the lumberyard to get lumber and he taught me how to pick out boards correctly and yes about 50% of them are rejected

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Right?! One in ten or so around here are straight. I'll sit there forever and pick all of the winners out of the whole stack and tell them to throw the rest of the corkscrews in the garbage. Who can frame with that shit? Don't bother getting stuff brought to the job site either, they will try to guilt you into taking all of their crap. After you send it back a few times they get the idea though.
I just found a few sawmills are around that still do quarter-sawn hardwoods for a buck a board foot:) I'm going to check them out this week! Prepping stock is like 90% of my small projects.
I still want a bandsaw mill in the worst way!

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Just got back from the hideout a little while ago...
With the heat we've been having, I've had to water every other day and sometimes have to give 'em each a couple gallons on the off days...
I've been using more than 200 gallons a week... Hope we get some rain before my reservoir goes dry...

I made a special tea and used some for a foliar spray a few days ago...
They seem to love it ...

Hopefully, everyone will continue to do this well all thru August and September...

picture.php

picture.php

renne

Wow looking Great Bud Green you got some Monsters there!! looks like you have been having good weather, been a shit year here can't remember ever having a summer this shitty here.

OrgAeroMan

Veteran
Looks great, Bud! We got pounded with rain all week, our rain barrel gets filled in like a minute from just one side of the house. I wish I had way less, lol!

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:tumbleweed:afternoon campers...

at least you guys didn't have to deal with 100+ temps for 2 frickin weeks straight! i can't ever remember that happening...of course i have no idea what i did yesterday...must have been garden day since the ro barrel is low...:joint:

off to run errands soon,got a bunch of cleaning up to deal with around the various grow rooms...dirty pots and stacks of cups to clean...got to keep it clean...and avoid giant stacks of pots...

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:whee:fun! another trip to the roof to work on the bloody swamp cooler!

burned out pump...up to my 4th pump of the season...plus i had to reposition the water chingus...good times...the mastercool sure works well,but it's a pita taking it apart to get to the insides...

best get ready to roll...

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just got back from the hideout a little while ago...
With the heat we've been having, I've had to water every other day and sometimes have to give 'em each a couple gallons on the off days...
I've been using more than 200 gallons a week... Hope we get some rain before my reservoir goes dry...

I made a special tea and used some for a foliar spray a few days ago...
They seem to love it ...

Hopefully, everyone will continue to do this well all thru August and September...

View Image
View Image
Killing it ....you are killing it...:D
It looks like we are all getting another 1200$ check soon.

Not me ...I didn’t get one red cent ...and that’s just the way I want it...I could’ve have .. all had to do was apply..But fuck it ...I don’t take nothing ...and that’s the way I like it

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Killing it ....you are killing it...:D

Not me ...I didn’t get one red cent ...and that’s just the way I want it...I could’ve have .. all had to do was apply..But fuck it ...I don’t take nothing ...and that’s the way I like it

If you ever paid taxes your entitled to it. Im not gonna turn down $$

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The flash made it look unnatural, So I took another no flash. This was a main top. The other was on the side. This plant and a few others had bad tip burn. It def was from a filthy feed drum. Id guess the P or K was way to high. It caused issues not just tip burn. The 2 HK X Konas stalled on me. Those will take longer to finish the normal. Just ro getting fed on those.

picture.php

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
That is really nice looking Hammer.

Bud Green those are getting big. Looks like a lot of work trimming coming your way.

You guys mean my wife is getting a check. I didnt see any of the last one.

star crash

ICMag Donor
Veteran
75 DAY FLASHBANG-B
View Image

The flash made it look unnatural, So I took another no flash. This was a main top. The other was on the side. This plant and a few others had bad tip burn. It def was from a filthy feed drum. Id guess the P or K was way to high. It caused issues not just tip burn. The 2 HK X Konas stalled on me. Those will take longer to finish the normal. Just ro getting fed on those.

View Image
They do look tasty