What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

(>-_-)> Neptune's Moving Castle <(-_-<)

G

Neptune said:
IF you are using a CO2 generator(I am), AND you have air leaks INTO your room(I do)... a few things will result..
1) The generator must burn for longer periods of time to attain the setpoint of CO2
2) The generator could possibly never shut off, not being able to retain any amount of co2 in your room (due to constant leaks)
3) This means Xtra heat and water: Burning NG gves birth to two major molecules, CO2 and H2O. my temps are +15F, and my Humidity is about 10-20% higher than it should be.
4) AC and Dehumidification needed, full time.
5) Power and Gas bills skyrocket. (not to mention equipment costs and maintenence)
6) oh fuck! is it worth it?

We shall see...

People who wanna use co2 eventually really need to pay attention to what neptune just posted ^^^. When i used those same CAP co2 generators my results were the same. 10+ degree raise in temps, and about a 20-30% raise in humidity. This leads me to believe these things are better used in greenhouses (or something similar) and cant really be used that well indoors unless the ceilings are real high and there's an exhaust set up. That would take care of a lot of the heat issues.

There's a gas burner made for indoor use and it has a small exhaust on the top so you can somehow duct the majority of the heat and still use the co2 ;) I will say this tho, when it comes to raising and maintaing co2 levels the gas burners destroy the tanks hands down. My CAP Fuzzy Logic controller used to jump a few hundred PPM every time the burner kicked in :D

Core

Quality Control Controller
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sensirocker said:
hmm neptune... your other grows did so well that i cant imagine that your list of negative consequences with the co2 would be worth it (especially those super high power and gas bills), but yes, we will see!!! post some pics soon!

can you already estemate if it is worth it...or do you need 2 wait for the run 2 complete before you can see if it worth it in your case..

N

Neptune

Funkydude, it's all in my signature actually. but I will give credit to Krowmobe for the inspiration. He is a rockwool grower on the AN forums, I built this after his pictures and rough explanation. Checkout his threads over there.

Core, CO2 enrichment is usually always worth it in the long run. I would guess this whole setup cost me about 2 weeks of research, 2 days of instalation, 7 days of tweaking and messing, and about $1,000. Right now, it is a headache... but I am glad I have the equipment.

S4vvy, yeah man I hear yea... this thing is a bit of a beast to control but it does the job damn well. I have the gas valve only open 1/4 turn.. when it is full open, this thing is an ANIMAL.. rocket flames burning a fierce fire within! The gen you speak of is a Blue Ox, made in Canada I believe. and they typically run about $800-1200.... easy choice to buy my CAP for $300. Their heat venting system will remove some heat... but it's not a silver bullet.

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
Very cool, o King of the Seas. Good assessment of the 02 environmental conditions and factors.
H

pico

Veteran
Have you done a full cycle with those hidhut bulbs? They sure are a good deal.

Nice grow yet again. This too will be my first time with the full CO2 setup.

N

Neptune

Pico, Just installed 4x 600w HPS HIDHUT bulbs. So, the rest of this run will be with the HIDHUT bulbs... I'll have a good idea if they produce nice nuggets :)

I/S, Yeah... I got the piolet flame actually.. I think a glowplug is the way to go.. no light from the flame, and no wasted gas/heat. However, I got the Piolet as a safety precaution... it just ensures that any gas that is leaking around the burners will be burned up.Maybe not very practical thinking... shrug.

N

Neptune

Day 19 Bloom...

Day 19 Bloom...

Here we are 10 days later with an update...

Here' the room shot,

Followed by the right side table (Chocolate Chunk and C99)

And the Right side Table, Pot of Gold

Close up of the c99

You can see how far ahead of all the others the C99 is... going to be the first done easily. This strain IS the Holy Grail of Sativa.... do Not Miss it!!!!

Here we have some Salmon Creek BigBud, 5 gallon pots of Promix

The Promix HP I used comes out of the bag at 1200 PPM (WTF!!!) So, they are badly burned and recovering if only slightly. It will be hard to get a yeild of out my 5th 600w light this round, due to this Promix HP SHIT. I do not recomend it unless you know what you are doing folks.... Promix HP is some nasty hot mix.... I don't even know what is in it, but the runoff was over 1800 ppm when I checked it.

And for those of you keeping score, here is my Hydroponic Nutrient regime, gaurenteed performance. K.I.S.S. (Keep it Simple, Stupid!)

for 60 gallons: 0-400-800, Lucas Formula, lands at roughly 850ppm (@.5)
and 300ml Hygrozyme(5ml/Gal)

So, my girls are in their 3rd week, and at 850 ppm. They will max out at 900-1000 ppm at week 5. Never higher than 1000 ppm, EC 2.0. This way, nothing ever burns, and nothing ever starves.... easy...

Coooool! :wave:

jimjay

That c-99 looks nice. Club cut?
I bought a daystar on your recomendation and i love it. I am not sure if they changed them because mine doesn't seem to leak. It seems solid

Nept

very nice neptune :D saw the thread on the main page hehe

love the " (>-_-)> " lol id like to borrow that for my thread, when i make one.

~NeptHaZe

pico

Veteran
(>-_-)>

What is that?

Either way, things are looking good sir. I think I am going to order up some of those HIDHUT bulbs.

N

Neptune

Jimjay,

do you aircool your Daystar? Is it a Daystar AC?

If so, how did you run the lamp cord to the ballast? I had to cut a hole in my ducting to get it through... this causes problems with leaks, even tho I taped it up real good. Also, that weather stripping they have you apply to the glass... that shit will fail in 1 crop. I don't recomend using it, becuase you will be breathing those little plastic particles in no-time at all... and then you will notice the leaks escaping between the glass... Also, the unit leaks from the small holes that are drilled for the hangers. Clearly, this unit it not ideal for a 100% sealed room co2 enrichment room... but it does work OK....

c99 is club cut, People have told me this is the origional Bros Grimm stock, and I believe them due to her tell-tale characteristics: lots of tiny/small leaves, fast bud formation, and almost zero odor at this point...so far I am stoked with them... You guys will see... but I can already tell I am going to love c99. Remember, I topped her from clone, so they went all crazy and branched sideways, and now they are 22-24" tall only, so we should get some excellent penetration from the 600 watters..can already see some well developed colas forming! 24" tall is about perfect for a 600w lamp. Plants taller should be under 1000s, or trimmed heavily.

and yes... the HIDHUT bulbs are rockin' so far... all 4 that I purchased fired right away, and no duds so far... which is rare for me. I usually have to send back at least 1 bulb out of 5.

I finally got the Pot of Gold to sit her ass down, she is doing GREAT this run at 25-26" tall. I trimmed her pretty good too, so it should be all solid nugs, again with the 600w penetration.... mistake last time was overveg and underprune.. my POG last run finished at 42", everything under 12" from the canopy top will be popcorn. This run they only got 16/17 days veg, which is about right. I will drop that veg time down to 14 days next run. Less veg seems to be better with my ladies so far, I don't want plants over 24"... it's too much work to prune them, and then finally trimming the buds. small 2ft plants with big buds is what we like...!!! yeaa!

CO2 followup,
I set the PPMs down to 900 to control the burn. It is now burning 60/40 on/off or so... which is down from 100/0. I can now control the heat in the room with the CO2 ppm setpoint, cool! So i'm running at 900ppm and ~ 78-83F with lights on. If I want it hotter, I can bump the ppms to 1000. BUT with my leaky room, I cannot enrich above 1300ppm, that is the maximum concentration -- due to several and many leaks. Who Cares? not me! :)

Thanks all for watching, updates next week... going to be a great run :]

Mo Budz

Nice grow man, been looking into getting one of those Co2 burners. Is yours set to run off of propane, or natural gas (i guess if I fully read the first page I ould know it was natural gas..... :pointlaug ). I have a natural gas line right above my grow room, and I was thinking of just tying one into that. No tank refills would be awsome. Watched your last grow gh vs an, and it was an interesting thred, I will definentally be checkin this one out man.

Last edited:

jimjay

Neptune- They must have changed the design. The lens is sealed. Kinda janky w/ cheap foam but its sealed. And they moved the cord so it comes out the top. I have no complaints so far but that foam will get fuct up over time. And it was 50 bucks cheaper then the super sun or whatever. Yeah its air cooled ac i got it right next to a cool tube from maryland hydro. The daystar is much nicer. I dont run co2 though so i dont know how "sealed" it is?
What club if you dont mind?