What's new

91'chemdog

MOneYMiKe

Patriot Father 2a Defender /Breeder
Veteran
Looks more apothecary from what I remember...skva is less cone/pointy skeletal bud structure...

Bodhi's SKVA pic:

View Image

Chem 91(or skunk va or whatever it's called now) looks just like this.
Run the chems for a few years and you can spot em a mile away.
Looks just like chem D & chem 4.

My evaluation of the 3:

chem D: smallest & shortest of the 3. tightest buds. More color(reds & purples). Capable of 1.5-2lbs a light. Electrifying, intense up high. The high can cut thru anything.

chem 4: largest, tallest of the 3. Can hit 3lbs per light when dialed. The high is a bit muddier and 'down'. Not as tasty as d or 91, but still garlicky/meaty. More garlic than meat, whereas D & 91 are more meat.Imo chem 4 is the best cash cropper out there. There's faster & bigger yielding strains out there, but none that check both the quality & quanity boxes like chem 4.

chem 91 skunk VA: sits between D & 4 in terms of yield and size. Can hit 2+ lbs a light. Looks like a beefed up chem D plant. My favorite chem. Can also get colorful. Imo the best tasting and smelling of the 3 with the best high. The high is up & happy without the intenseness of D. The taste is... Like chem D, but more pleasant imo.

All of them best taken between 65-70 days. All will throw a nanner here & there(but sterile).

As for origins... Who knows. They most definitely have some old afgani in them. I'm guessing maybe old garlic afghani. Saying they come from old stinky skunk genetics is probably not too far off. Imo the chem line is the most valuable strains ever. Thank god those bagseeds weren't thrown away or lost.

Just my 2cents after spending many years with them and having seen them grow in almost every style. Have yet to try chem 3, chem sister, etc.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran

My evaluation of the 3:

chem D: smallest & shortest of the 3. tightest buds. More color(reds & purples). Capable of 1.5-2lbs a light. Electrifying, intense up high. The high can cut thru anything.

chem 4: largest, tallest of the 3. Can hit 3lbs per light when dialed. The high is a bit muddier and 'down'. Not as tasty as d or 91, but still garlicky/meaty. More garlic than meat, whereas D & 91 are more meat.Imo chem 4 is the best cash cropper out there. There's faster & bigger yielding strains out there, but none that check both the quality & quanity boxes like chem 4.

chem 91 skunk VA: sits between D & 4 in terms of yield and size. Can hit 2+ lbs a light. Looks like a beefed up chem D plant. My favorite chem. Can also get colorful. Imo the best tasting and smelling of the 3 with the best high. The high is up & happy without the intenseness of D. The taste is... Like chem D, but more pleasant imo.

All of them best taken between 65-70 days. All will throw a nanner here & there(but sterile).

As for origins... Who knows. They most definitely have some old afgani in them. I'm guessing maybe old garlic afghani. Saying they come from old stinky skunk genetics is probably not too far off. Imo the chem line is the most valuable strains ever. Thank god those bagseeds weren't thrown away or lost.

Just my 2cents after spending many years with them and having seen them grow in almost every style. Have yet to try chem 3, chem sister, etc.

possible, Skunk #1, pre Dam X Afghan, Garlic pheno or a reverse of those

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

someone knows, now to finally pull the story out of teh old timers, or their kids

my wonder is, what happens when we figure out the real lineage of Chemdog, whirrled peas?

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
my wonder is, what happens when we figure out the real lineage of Chemdog, whirrled peas?

You can pretty much assume there is some sort of Afghan in there simple by looking at the work that Rez did using the Hindu to outcross compared to the work JJ did using the Afghani to outcross...

And sure, you can just say that JJ used a better male that allowed more of the parental sides to show through...

OR...

You draw the conclusion that the more limited pheno expression is indicative of having hit closer to home in regards to origin lines...

Personally, I saw if we KNEW the parents of the Chem lines - it would mean people start back at square one and utilize the information to build a better line that expresses even less variation...

dank.Frank

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
I'd prefer whirrled peas, but I'd settle for that

and of course a plant from a region that is now blown to bits is a crucial building block

now, a vacation to Afghanistan, this will take some planning

maybe a couple months in the peace corps?

hehehe

rez hindu mehhhh

That guy... Ugh.
I remember when he announced he was gonna use the sensi hindu kush.
coincidentally, I had just got through running a pack myself. They were visually a portrait of the 'perfect Hindu kush', and they were fucking gross. Grown organic in soil and it tasted like cardboard. I've never smoked a cockroach, but I imagine it tastes like sensi's Hindu. All plants looked & tasted identical. Worst tasting weed I've ever smoked.

So when I saw he was going to use it... I lol'd. I shared my opinion on it in his thread. No reply. If I remember correctly... Someone had given him that HK(someone from sensi seeds I think?), he never tested it or had previous experience with it.

pappy masonjar

Veteran
I read something about some dna testing that says Diesel types are descendants of Kafarastanicas from Nepal:dunno:
Maybe chem is some type of nepali x afghani.

What ever happened with chimera or toms testing?

jayjayfrank

Veteran
i thought i read what is considered to be kafiristanicas just has two unquie terpenes and that is the only genetic difference between it and the others

i think everybody settled on wide and narrow leaf right?

from what i understand a lot of this sub species confusion stuff is from old translations....

Nspecta

Veteran

My evaluation of the 3:

I'm curious @Swampwater...what are your sources for the Chem cuts? Because your descriptions don't sound accurate to what I've seen and grown for the last 8 years...do you have any pics of these Chems as well?

@nspecta cuts are legit, from a mutual friend of ours actually.
What description(s) sound off? If it's taste or smell related, that could be due to me not having the best pallet(due to years of smoking cigs). If it's yield related, those numbers are best case scenio and what's possible after running for years and getting dialed.
I'll try to dig up some pics if I haven't deleted em.

Nspecta

Veteran
@nspecta cuts are legit, from a mutual friend of ours actually.
What description(s) sound off? If it's taste or smell related, that could be due to me not having the best pallet(due to years of smoking cigs). If it's yield related, those numbers are best case scenio and what's possible after running for years and getting dialed.
I'll try to dig up some pics if I haven't deleted em.

Not contesting the yield numbers...I'm well aware of the potential of the cuts...and we probably have similar pallets (smoked cigs myself for 14 years, been free of em for 5 now)...it could just be grow tech differences & personal descriptions on the smells/flavors that are off.

I've always seen the SVA'91 as the Tallest one of the three consistently and don't really recall ever seeing it color up at all either inside or out...granted when grown outside it is the shortest of the bunch. The SVA also has the tightest densest nugs of the three bar none in my experience. Also when I hear about color on a '91 cut I think apothecary '91 or JB '91. And "beefed up Chem D" doesn't sound quite accurate as well...CDD always seemed beefier to me...then again...who really knows with various grow techs, environments, media, feed, etc., etc....

If you find pics I'd love to see them. :tiphat:

Kalyx

Great thread!
Lots of great updates and information, making things a little clearer with all the fog surrounding the beloved and infamous chem.
Reading through this has satisfied this chem fiend:woohoo:

Enjoying this bowl of chemd x sour d makes a perfect compliment to this read.

A big thank you to Good Ole Dog for keeping this magical lady alive and allowing many of us to taste and become proper chem fiends!

Not contesting the yield numbers...I'm well aware of the potential of the cuts...and we probably have similar pallets (smoked cigs myself for 14 years, been free of em for 5 now)...it could just be grow tech differences & personal descriptions on the smells/flavors that are off.

I've always seen the SVA'91 as the Tallest one of the three consistently and don't really recall ever seeing it color up at all either inside or out...granted when grown outside it is the shortest of the bunch. The SVA also has the tightest densest nugs of the three bar none in my experience. Also when I hear about color on a '91 cut I think apothecary '91 or JB '91. And "beefed up Chem D" doesn't sound quite accurate as well...CDD always seemed beefier to me...then again...who really knows with various grow techs, environments, media, feed, etc., etc....

If you find pics I'd love to see them. :tiphat:
Ah, I gotcha.
To be honest, most of my experience is with D & 4. My bro ran 91 twice when I was working with him(and that was many years ago). Growing next to D, it was bigger(very close, just a bit thicker) and taller(and better yield).
Even though 91 was my favorite, he prefered D & let 91 go. So sadly I don't know it as well as D & 4.
I also remember it going more yellow than D when flushed, and I could swear it had some color(red leaves) to it as well. But again, that was many years & dozens of strains ago, I could be mistaken.

I've always considered 4 to be the tallest. But not seeing it side x side with 91, I'll happily concede to your expertise. Hopefuly I''ll get that cut again, just haven't put feelers out for it in a while. Tbh, I'm over the moon about running these hazmat seeds this year. I haven't even thought about tracking down 91 since I first discovered this cross. :biggrin:

The biggest indoor yield I've ever seen was actually with #4 (from a close friend who recently passed away). He did 7gal pots promix in a 4x6(?) tray, hand watered under a 1k. Plants were 3ft+- tall, 3 tops each and solid bud from top to bottom. He liked to run C4 75days.
Total pull was 3 1/4lbs. Blew my fucking mind.
Might have pics of that too. All pics are on a hard drive packed up somewhere, I'll find it.
Helping a buddy take down some D & 4 in the next week or so, I'll take some pics for this thread as well.

Kalyx

I love it. You think the debate will go on when I am dead and my son is a weed geek.

Hope so

Joebrand Jr Joeb2kanobe

People don't bitch about the amber cure anymore. Funny

Im sure it will Joe.... would be funny to see in 20 years what they say about the chem family as opposed to now?
Maybe technology will allow us to finally tell where the chem parentage came from.

DIDM

Malaika
Veteran
the search for the parents of Dog bud is going on ATM, the mystery has to end someday, someone knows, and well, the story has to be told. Unfortunalty the story isn't going to be really exciting, but for fucks sake it will at least finish a conversation that started years ago

yea, who knows, but there are folks growing Dog bud, just have to dig with the right questions

me and Greyskull are really interested though,for some silly reason. sometimes ya just gotta know.

anyways, thanks for holding this lady for so long SKVA, and to the rest of the boys in the story, if 1+1+1 didn't equal 3 this story would have been back page news and so many folks wouldn't have the pleasure of smoking some of the finest cannabis known

hopefully one day we will know, until then, at least we have the flowers