What's new

7 day old seedlings, do they look ok for this stage?

Reg Dixon

ICMag Donor
In my mind, since I check up on them everyday, they are not growing. However when I look back at pictures from just 9 days ago, I can see they are indeed growing, a lot.

My main problem is, they are not growing tall. They are bushing out big time, When I look at other peoples grows, they seem to have good spacing between the nodes. My nodes are so tightly packed together, some are less than an inch away from eachother. Both my plants are not even 12 inches tall yet, but have MASSIVE fan leaves that look like they should be on much larger plants.

I have no idea why they are not growing up towards the light, and are just growing outwards.

Here are some things I have noticed

- Main stem is getting thick, quickly. One has "plant stretchmarks". 9 days ago they were thinner than a toothpick, now they are thicker than a straw.

- Leaves are growing huge, but plant is not growing tall.

- The fimm'd plant does not seem to have "more tops" as the top area is growing back normally. However what did happen was I got WAY more side branching underneath where I fimm'd, in the node below. As you can see in the photo.

- The topp'd Afghan Kush seems to have worked, but the new tops are growing a bit slow, hopefully they shoot up in the next couple days.

Photos:

Both:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/thefirsttimebucket/media/foto_no_exif_zps4dd38893.jpg.htmlView Image

Both:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/thefirsttimebucket/media/foto_no_exif1_zps120bfab8.jpg.htmlView Image

Topped Afghan Kush:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/thefirsttimebucket/media/foto_no_exif3_zps7e203c31.jpg.htmlView Image

Fimm'd WW X BB:
http://s1329.photobucket.com/user/thefirsttimebucket/media/foto_no_exif2_zps452a50f8.jpg.htmlView Image

Questions:

Any idea why they are not gaining height, and only width?

I want to SCROG, but not sure how it is going to work since as I said, the plant is not growing up, but out.

I had a plant like that. It needed a trim to get the tops all exposed to the light and then it took off very quickly.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You got straight indica phenos bro, wanna see my sour bub veggin after 7 weeks? They are about the same size. Are ya givin em dark time?

Indica expressions like to stay short and short internodes, blue light encourages this even further. If you are not giving them any dark at this time you will be stressing your plants and encouraging just the type of growth you are taking about. Give them dark time!

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
One thing i also noticed with a failed fim is the plant spends alot of time and energy coaxing those tiny leaf pieces to regenerate and you dont get the same affect as a good fim or top because you havent done much to redistribute the auxins and the plant is going to try to force the tiny bits of leaves you left from the fim to grow, in fact they seem like they push all energy to fixing it.

Soon as you see a fim cut you missed always top to fix your mistake unless you are patient and time dont matter to you.

farmdalefurr

I feel nothing and it feels great
Veteran
it just takes time bro. a plant grown from seed always grows slow like that

those tight nodes will make you happy in the end w/ nice big tight flowers

you have some very very indica plants, thus the giant fan leaves

are those 3 gals you have em in?

if so, itll take a little while for those roots to start filling the container, but once they do, youll really start to see the plant take off

id say you have 1-2 weeks before they REALLY take off and you start to see them get bigger by the day

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
In the beginning 24 hours is good but it comes a point I feel when the plant desires the dark time. That is how it evolved. I theorizee in this case with these particular plants they are so indica they will be more then happy to grow slow and stay short and bushy veggin like dinosaurs under 24 hours.

When you give em some dark they are going to start reaching a bit more. Alot happen inside a plant at lights out. The diurnal rhythms are powerful.

Personally after maybe like first couple nodes mine start getting dark time. My Sour bubble didnt move an inch till they had some dark.

papaduc

Veteran
Those plants of mine on page 4 were on a 24/7 light cycle with the odd break for a few hours. I always see the best growth rates out of plants given more light, regardless of the Indica vs sativa ratio.

I think the only thing you would effect by shortening the daylight hours is how quickly it grows, but I might be wrong.

I think if you want to stretch it out a bit try moving the light further away during lights on, and if and when you get it to stretch, get the light back down and carry on. I think that'd work better than a longer night personally.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
They are gonna start stretching now with a little dark in two weeks youll be fine bro, relax and let time do its thing now.

whiteberrieS

Unknown
Veteran
It's coco with some perlite. It's not the best brand, and I regret buying it, but live and learn.

You'll want to give it a lite feeding in another week...coco doesnt really have anything to eat in it unless that's a soilless mix that came with the perlite. Soilless mixes have enough guano for the first three weeks...Then start feeding lightly after that. They look good for a week...And being a foot away from that 300 you should be trippin out at how fast they start pumping out leaves.

For future reference: Canna Coco is the only way to fly on coco airlines.

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also don't be afraid to push some fan leaves or move em to the side to expose more heads underneath searching for light. It is a very good LST technique for beginning lst.

The reason topping or fimming produces results is that auxins build up in the growing tip of a plant, the build up encourages growth at the tip.
When you top you remove the built up auxin and the levels stabilize underneath.
You see auxins levels force growth at the tips and suppress growth below them. When you top auxins begin to build up in lower growing tips and promote them to grow.

Check out this video.

Pay attention at the 50 second mark, you can visually see an example!

[youtubeif]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sRZy9PgPvg[/youtubeif]

Latest posts

Latest posts