What's new

7 day old seedlings, do they look ok for this stage?

I use coco/perlite as well and I begin feedings after the cotyledons start yellowing. Takes around 14 days or so. I feed at 1/3 strength to start but ramp up to full strength pretty quickly depending on plant's response. 300w of MH does seem a little overkill for 2 seedlings though. I keep my seedlings under cfl for the first 2-3 weeks. But if it ain't broke don't fix it!

T

TribalSeeds

My stems always turn purple in coco if Im not feeding them enough... Id recommend you start giving them less than 100ppm(50-75ppm) of calmag in the water.
Plants dont like the negative osmotic pressure of just pure RO in coco.
Something like molasses or a little floralicious+ might be good for them.
80F is too high for seeds. They need roots to be able to use up the water that quickly.
At this point you want them pointing upwards and reaching for the light. Those appear to be starting to point down.
These were @7 days

K

kooldave67

I would keep the watts the same and lower them or raise the light if needed. I think you might raise it to about 8inches above the tops,just a suggestion.I would hold out on the cal-mag for a good 3 weeks. I really like cal-mag I use it every three waterings. What did you pick for feedings?

I like to let my seedling's coco dry out a bit, but not too much. Give the roots some reason to stretch their legs searching for nourishment. Every other day is probably ok. I try not to regimen it too much. Watch the plant and the coco and react accordingly.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
It will take a good 2-4 weeks for a seedling to look like a nice phat clone, from my experience. More to the 4 week side, but it is strain dependent.

They look very normal for day 10. They won't start really going until you start feeding them which I don't recommend doing this early. Although I have fed this early before and been ok, it really is strain/environment dependent. Your cotyledons still look very green to me, give it a few more days.

T

TribalSeeds

Gave them just 50 PPM of calimagic today. When do you guys think I should start feeding them 1/4 strength nutes? (doing H3AD's formula). Day 14?

Hey, sorry if thats what it looks like I said in my post.
I know there are conflicting schools of thoughts. My stems usually turn purple like that in coco without nutes though.
What I meant to have my post read as was to get some calmag into the water when youre not using your full strength nutes... Not just 50 ppm of the calmag alone.
When were giving them 1/4 strength nutes or so(200-250ppm) were not providing much calcium. The nutes are designed to provide enough calcium at their full strength recommended doses.
If we lower the total nute strength and add back some of the lacking calcium we shouldnt have to overfeed the plants. But watering new coco without calcium isnt a great idea. It requires a buffer to be filled before your plants can get any. With pure RO youre stripping it away.
I usually dont see my cotyledons turn yellow, but they will start to turn light green and maybe even show some lighter spots before the plants start to droop from needing nutes.

Latest posts

Latest posts