What's new

600w vs 1000w?

I'm curious about the new blockbuster hood from sunlight. It looks like a perfect medium between the ss2 and the magnum. The magnum is a great hood, but it's huge,especially the ocho. I love my SS2s, but you do get hotspots a bit.

I'm curious about the new blockbuster hood from sunlight. It looks like a perfect medium between the ss2 and the magnum. The magnum is a great hood, but it's huge,especially the ocho. I love my SS2s, but you do get hotspots a bit.

Yeah the blockbuster is badass too. I was almost tempted to get those over the magnums b/c of the perfectly square 24"x24" dimensions, but I decided not to ultimately b/c of the massive depth. But for people running 1000mh, the Blockbuster would be perfect. Not a good choice for people with height/space issues though. The guy at the hydro shop said the new industry name for the Blockbuster is "radiant killer." lol

damm guess im gona have to read picos report again great info but long ass read was thinking about getting the ss2 thought but not sure now lol

picture.php

:joint:

Ya sure this is not a 1000 Watt that you can just adjust the dial to lower the wattage? [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]New! 1000 - 600 - 400 Select-A-Watt/Dimmable with "Turbo Charge" http://www.botanical.com/hydro/lightsys/ballast/galaxy.html

[/FONT]

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I just left a hydro store where i saw a guy buy a 1500w hps digital balast and bulb,..its able to flower a 6x6...

They spit out 206K lumens, so thats 137 lumens per watt, at 7500 lumens per square foot, = 5.24X5.24' square coverage. Pretty good stuff, but that's a lot of heat. Need to have them hung higher than 600w/1000w lights too, which is an issue for some.

Joe Hawkins

I had 2x 600 watters on a light mover in a 4x8 tent, the light mover could hardly handle the weight of the two air cooled hoods, it worked only just, but I lost head height from the light mover, I recently removed the light mover and have installed another 600 watter.
Ideally I would love 2 1000 watters however I have limited head height in the tent, with flood and drain tables so 3x 600 watters it is now, Im in the 3rd week of flowering on the first rotation and the difference is very noteworthy so far in that the maintops are more widespread and vigorous, I pull around 2 LB from the 2 so lookin to bump it up to around 3

T

theJointedOne

so I have a question in this forum,

i am seeing that the concensus for tents is 600's

i am still torn between two 1k's or three 600's in a 4 x 8 tent?

probably going with the 600's but any inputis aweosm thanks

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
New! 1000 - 600 - 400 Select-A-Watt/Dimmable with "Turbo Charge" http://www.botanical.com/hydro/lightsys/ballast/galaxy.html

This ballast looks sweet! I'm going to get this right away. What do you guys think 600 mh 0r 400 mh for veg and 1000 hp for flower?

The only 600w MH bulbs are conversion bulbs, and they put out the same amount of light as a 400W MH but use 200 more watts, waste of money and energy!

400MH for veg, 600w or 1000w HPS for flower, depending on how tall your girls end up.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
so I have a question in this forum,

i am seeing that the concensus for tents is 600's

i am still torn between two 1k's or three 600's in a 4 x 8 tent?

probably going with the 600's but any inputis aweosm thanks

If you can, 3X600w puts down the same amount of light as 2X1000w but uses 200w less electricity. Use the Gavita/Agrosun reflectorized bulbs and pick up an extra 5K lumens per bulb too.

T

theJointedOne

thanks lazy, i have had my eye on those agrosun reflector bulbs for a while, is that spectrum ok for really good growth? someone told me the super hps from eye but these would save me some $ on hoods

opt1c

Veteran
Ya sure this is not a 1000 Watt that you can just adjust the dial to lower the wattage? [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]New! 1000 - 600 - 400 Select-A-Watt/Dimmable with "Turbo Charge" http://www.botanical.com/hydro/lightsys/ballast/galaxy.html

[/FONT]

Yes; even though i do smoke that much weed it is indeed a ballast that will fire 400, 600, and 1000 watt bulbs.

From the info sheet in the box; 902518 for your reference.. It will properly drive a 400, 600, or 1000 watt lamp to ANSI specifications. For example - set the switch to 400 watts, insert a 400 watt lamp into your socket and the ballast will operate the 400 watt lamp. The ballast will similarly operate 600 or 1000 watt lamps.

The SECOND option for this ballast is dimming a 1000 watt lamp... yada yada yada

So there are TWO options; the dimming of a 1K or the firing of different bulbs.
:joint:

oh... just to end the questions i just fired up a 400watt ushio hps bulb with my 1000watt ballast; no problems; gonna leave it on for a couple hours just to make sure but everything is still working and the bulb isn't pulsing at all as of now

richyrich

Out of the slime, finally.
Veteran
Quantum digital dimmable ballasts were the first and the best IMO. I have been running them over 6 months. A good friend at the hydro store told me they see the other brands being returned often. Not the Quantums.

opt1c

Veteran
so the 400 watt bulb is still running in my select-a-watt 1k ballast; no explosions yet... i'll leave it on overnight and see what happens; i never run my hps bulbs over 12 hours at a time anyways