What's new

600w vs 1000w?

Talonted

i dont know why anyone in the forum uses the word "expensive".

PS: if you grow for profit, spend it on education!

Vorsprung

How would a dual-bulb hood (like Growzilla) with a 600w HPS and 400w MH/CMH in there fare against a single 1k hps? Probably a lot better with the spectrum right? Or does the 1k just have more lumens by itself that it would push the combo out?

I have a 600hps but seems the 'final quality' was a bit nicer when i was using just the 400w CMH (in terms of trichs, etc) and my yields aren't SUBSTANTIALLY larger. I'm thinking of combining them both together.. or should I just go straight 1k with an Eye Hortilux? This would be in a 4x4 tent

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
The thread shouldnt have gone any further than this. But if you're some punk kid who scrounges through his weed stuffed smoke pack for seeds. a bunch of CFL's and some cardoard will do . but if you do 2lb per light in 2gal pots you dont fuck around. The EYE 1000's will have you covered. 1 plant or 30, buy a piece of shit cfl kit for the babies and 1000's for both veg and flower.

Eye's are only good for old-fashioned coil ballasts, a Ushio on a digital puts out 10% more light than a magnetic.

It's also a bit misleading to say that a properly wired 1000w uses less amps, it uses the same amount of amps as a 120V ballast, just split across two legs for 240V. The electricity consumption is the same either way.

The 600w is still a more efficient bulb than the 1000. For another comparison, look at it this way, comparing two 5KW gardens:

1: with 1000W bulbs

5 lights
140K lumens each (yes Mistress, I know!, just humor me.) = 700K lumens
Wired for 240V, they pull a combined 21A @ 240V.
Using 7500 lumens psf would light 93.33 square feet

2: with 600W bulbs
8 lights
90K lumens each = 720K lumens
Wired for 240V, 20A @ 240V
Using 7500 lumens, you get 96 square feet of coverage.

The 600's give you:
3 additional points of light for more even canopy lighting
Uses less power
Gives off more light
Covers more area
Due to higher electrical efficiency, generates less heat per light.

If I could find someone to trade all my 1000's for 600's I'd do it in a heartbeat.

S

Surfr

Eye's are only good for old-fashioned coil ballasts, a Ushio on a digital puts out 10% more light than a magnetic.

It's also a bit misleading to say that a properly wired 1000w uses less amps, it uses the same amount of amps as a 120V ballast, just split across two legs for 240V. The electricity consumption is the same either way.

The 600w is still a more efficient bulb than the 1000. For another comparison, look at it this way, comparing two 5KW gardens:

1: with 1000W bulbs

5 lights
140K lumens each (yes Mistress, I know!, just humor me.) = 700K lumens
Wired for 240V, they pull a combined 21A @ 240V.
Using 7500 lumens psf would light 93.33 square feet

2: with 600W bulbs
8 lights
90K lumens each = 720K lumens
Wired for 240V, 20A @ 240V
Using 7500 lumens, you get 96 square feet of coverage.

The 600's give you:
3 additional points of light for more even canopy lighting
Uses less power
Gives off more light
Covers more area
Due to higher electrical efficiency, generates less heat per light.

If I could find someone to trade all my 1000's for 600's I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That is all true, but I still do not see the weight coming from the 600's like I do on the 1k's...

I have two buddies, one grows with ten 600's and the other with 6 1k's... The weight my buddy pulls from the 1k's is substantially higher. They grow with the same strains and nutes. Both their rooms are completely dialed in as well...

Talonted

i just dont see any reason for smaller, you dont save any money, HID ballasts are all the same price, the digi's are only within 50 bucks of eachother as with the lights im not too sure about price wise but, like the car. build it with the biggest bore and the longest stroke and then boost the shit out of it, then its up to you to set how many pounds of boost it will run. if you want to throw more in the room you'll have more than enough lumens.

My biggest find around the island here, is that i havent heard of anyone doing a lb/per light. So why not buy the light that will so you can, if you ever said hey fuck it lets stuff 35 of these little whores under each light. cause you know and i know and who ever posts the next reply all started with getting our feet wet with one or two small outdoor crops or a 3 bagseed indoor crop but it didnt stop there did it?

Lazyman: if you weren't so far away i'd be happy to find a trade. I know a few people that still have their old 600 setups.
I'm up on Vancouver island in BC and yes we all get a kick out of the americans, nicknaming our BC bud as the "Beasters" lol

Talonted

I'm thinking of combining them both together.. or should I just go straight 1k with an Eye Hortilux? This would be in a 4x4 tent

the hortilux model from eye wasnt made in the 1000 series, the 1000 model is a
EYE MULTI-METAL M1000........ which when you look at the specs it seems to perform like a Hortilux but they just didnt make a hortilux for the 1000 i guess. i wonder why the hortilux's highest model is the 1500 and the next one down is the 600 but thats only for MH, they do have a Hortilux as a HPS bulb. and i have no clue of the outcome of combining those two lights together. sounds confusing, throw it out and buy 2 magnetic ballasts used at your local hydro store for around 40-50 each, Lamp cord sockets and 2 MH bulbs, 2 Sodium bulbs, crop out a few times, then buy all new shit for your room....Capiche'?

P

PkRipper

If they made a 2k bulb i would buy those., Hands down bigger=bigger

FReD9

HossCartwright,

I totally agree! Then again, I'm doing my 1st run with 600's and haven't harvested yet! :rolleyes:

I started with 2 x 1000's (12 rDWC 8'x4') and achieved 2lbs/light. I'm now using 3 x 600's (12 rDWC 9'x3') and not sure what to expect as my max grams/light but hope to get 1lb/light at the very least (I researched after buying the lights to learn that 1lb/per 600 is considered "good yield"?). If not, I'm going back to the 1K's except this time I'll go digital!

The plant growth isn't as vigorous nor is it as robust as with the 1k's. As far as heat yes, 1K's produce a lot of heat however 600's do too... you just got to get the temps dialed in just right.

I think grow style is a big factor here as to which wattage to go with!
:yeahthats

YAY! :joint:

You guys are trying to compare 1, 1000w light with 2, 600w lights, that's not a fair comparison. Compare 2, 1000w lights vs 3 x 600w covering an 8-9' x 3-4' area for a fair comparison. Tents with heat issues and small personal grows are the only ones who benefit from using 600s. If you have the space and funds to run proper HVAC and want to pull down pounds, go for the 1ks. I've used both and I'm speaking from personal experience. I'm thinking maybe some of the arguments coming from the 600 club are from people who might not have much, if any, experience with 1ks. The difference is night and day if you've tried both under optimum conditions.

I'm starting to think now, more than ever, that a high quality reflector can make a very big difference. I'm using a 6" A/C XtraSun and I'm just not getting the coverage or penetration I want. Next round I'm switching to 8" XXXL Magnum's w/ 1k's. We'll see.

i cant rember who did the thread but there is one on light reflectors with alot of intince testing with differnt hoods and dont get the magnum before you read that thread. as far as the debate goes i thought it was 2 x 600 v.s 1 x1000?

mikeross

i cant rember who did the thread but there is one on light reflectors with alot of intince testing with differnt hoods and dont get the magnum before you read that thread. as far as the debate goes i thought it was 2 x 600 v.s 1 x1000?

That was picos thread and the magnums were not tested until the later part of the tread, maybe you didn't read it recently. It was found that the magnum slightly edged out the ss2 and didn't have any hot spots.

Its a better reflector then the ss2 if all you care about it light spread. If weight it any concern the ss2 is the hood to go with.

I have heard nothing but great things about the xxxls, they are just a little more pricey. Side by side the magnum xxxl looks to be a little better built than the ss2 as well.

All my opinion of course... anyways, back on topic guys

well i have an 8 x 8 area 7.5 x 5 of useable space had a 1000 in there and got a hell of a deal on a digital 600 duel as far as covrage for my space i fig 4 600 dig would be best i couldnt imagine trying to cool 4 1000 in that small of an area where i live i would definatly have to buy a much bigger ac even with the cooled hoods. oh and thanks mikeross for the reminder. peace

Dnutz

not to get off topic, but how about this scenario; 3 600w lights all in xxxl hoods being cooled by a fan to themselves. Or 2 1k bulbs in the xxxl's? Would the heat from the setups be nearly the same? What about yield and efficiency of each set up? Has anyone done a comparison like this before?

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hehe; so i just picked up a galaxy switchable digital ballast; does 400, 600, 1000, and 1000 with a boost. Best of all worlds. I'll have fun playing with it. I think having a 1000 on a mover will allow me to get very close to my plants without the normal heat issues of a stationary light.

Are you sure it can run different WATTAGES?

I've just seen a specific wattage, ie 1000w, and it is dimmable to a percentage, meaning the bulb is dimmer, not that you can switch it and pop a lower wattage bulb in.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
not to get off topic, but how about this scenario; 3 600w lights all in xxxl hoods being cooled by a fan to themselves. Or 2 1k bulbs in the xxxl's? Would the heat from the setups be nearly the same? What about yield and efficiency of each set up? Has anyone done a comparison like this before?

Yeah I can do that off the top of my head:

Only one 6" Vortex needed to cool 3 hoods.

3 X600W

270K lumens
7.5a@240V draw
Covers 36 square feet of grow area

2X1000W
280K lumens
9a@240V draw
Covers 37.33 square feet of space

As long as you aren't trying to grow 4' tall trees the 600's should be plenty, and will give you a more even canopy since there is 1 add'l point of light.

well i have an 8 x 8 area 7.5 x 5 of useable space had a 1000 in there and got a hell of a deal on a digital 600 duel as far as covrage for my space i fig 4 600 dig would be best i couldnt imagine trying to cool 4 1000 in that small of an area where i live i would definatly have to buy a much bigger ac even with the cooled hoods. oh and thanks mikeross for the reminder. peace
Once again, it's not a direct 1:1 ratio when comparing 600w vs 1000w. Lastly, all things are relative and 3x600 will produce roughly the same heat as 2x1000 which are the two scenerios you should be considering for your space. Stuffing 4 lights (600 OR 1000) in a 7.5x5 room is a ridiculous waste of resources.
Yes, this is the textbook comparison. Yes, the heat will be relative and also XXXL hoods cool more effectively than most other hoods. 1k + Magnum XXXL = 4oz+ plants.

*mistress*

Veteran
Talonted said:
you'll get 12 shows out of an EYE 1000 whereas you only might get 6-8 shows out of a GE lamp or similar. these are my own home tried facts so a 110 dollar EYE bulb that will crop out 4-6 more times before needing replacing is worth it.
:yeahthats
get those eyes 1k's & 940's & wont want any other, except sunmaster cools:D... mixed in for the uv;)
600's good for veg... then they want lots of light, if want @ least 1 full basket of fruit per plant:D;)...

enjoy your garden!

opt1c

Veteran
Are you sure it can run different WATTAGES?

I've just seen a specific wattage, ie 1000w, and it is dimmable to a percentage, meaning the bulb is dimmer, not that you can switch it and pop a lower wattage bulb in.
picture.php

:joint: