What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

42w CFL Vertical Screen

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
So what would be the minimum gap you'd want between bulb and screen for a low wattage grow like this? I've never done a c-scrog but I would guess something like 6"?

I'm hoping to do a similar thing with a 24w pll, where the glass bulb is 11" long.

mjconfid

SN - I am using 4 of those 24w pll and the distance from the screens to bulb is 6".
I wouldn't want less, but I admit to being pretty lazy with tying the plant to the screens. In a c scrog with a 6" gap, the area of the screen would be just over 3 square feet( I think). Are you planning on over-driving the bulb?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
MJ, thanks bro. No I wouldn't have a clue how to overdrive it, haha. It's just an aquarium thing I picked up cheap. It seems to me like the power adapter is the ballast, so it may be a tricky thing to overdrive. I'm just a nerd so I wanna see what kind of yield I could pull off 24w. I'm really sad that you are doing this but don't have pics! Any chance of that?

mjconfid

SN,

Ah, i get it re the not being able to overdrive. Sorry - no camera & no cash to buy one. Plus I have not treated the plants well and the cab looks rough and ready - to be honest I would be embarrassed to show.

However, (and it's easy for me to say with no proof of success and little experience!!), I think the concept is a good use of both my cab (15"w x 15"d x20"h) and PLLs. Hopefully some ASCII art can give you an idea of what I am attempting:
(from the front of the cab)

*I** O **I*
*I** O **I*
*I** O **I*
XXX......XXX
XXX......XXX

* = plants (2)
0 = 4 x vert 24w PLL, lined up along their narrow edge.
I = Screens, each is 1 sq ft
X = 5l water bottles, laid on their sides

I am thinking of growing church next, and I will def have a camera by then and start a journal, so I can reference back for future grows and also get input from the more experienced growers here.

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to get a consistent yield of 2oz+ from 96w.

grouchy

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to get a consistent yield of 2oz+ from 96w.

This is the reason I love micro grows. If we want 2 ounces we are going to get it the hard way. Others just keep buying more equipment and lights till they get the desired amount.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks for that MJ. One thing though, aren't you losing any benefit that you would have been getting by going vertical in the first place? The back side of the bulbs are shining into each other, if I understand right?

pulse

i like your setup a lot!

actually im growing with the TubeOfGreen method using a single 200w CFLamp and i plan to a use a single CFL with a lower wattage for my next grow but still using the TOG method.
I think about a 65w cfl and to make an octogon cab so my setup will almost look like your's

i wish you good luck
keep this trade up to date
and enjoy the TOGs !!

(great plant-bad cab, unfortunatly the pics dont give honor to the plant)

mjconfid

Grouchy: Exactly, It's like a challenge to overcome limitations of space and light.

SN: The bulbs spaced out and are side on, if that makes any sense. e.g . 00 00 00 00, so I think that there is still an advantage over horiz., due to the elimination of bulb re-strike caused by light bouncing back into the bulbs from a reflector.

Pulse: Looking good! What strain is that please? I am growing two bagseed plants. One is a runt and the other is stretchy and has massive leaves, so I want to go for a vert. scrog friendly strain the next time around.

grouchy

Grouchy: Exactly, It's like a challenge to overcome limitations of space and light.

SN: The bulbs spaced out and are side on, if that makes any sense. e.g . 00 00 00 00, so I think that there is still an advantage over horiz., due to the elimination of bulb re-strike caused by light bouncing back into the bulbs from a reflector.

Pulse: Looking good! What strain is that please? I am growing two bagseed plants. One is a runt and the other is stretchy and has massive leaves, so I want to go for a vert. scrog friendly strain the next time around.

Do you have a grow journal going?

pulse

i'll give my point about some thing asked in the thread:

about the distance between the lamp and the leaves/buds: using a big 200w cfl-lamp, the leaves are only 1inch away from the leaves; i tryed to keep the buds and the grill away a bit more (1.5/2inch)
anyway, the insteresting fact about this is that althought the temps rise up to 32°C at the leaves, they still growed and didn burnt (only the leaves touching the bulb burned).

i'm using a computer fan (a quality fan from noctua) just below the bulb and i guess this fan does a lot to the heahtness of the plant as it bring fresh air to the leaves and etc.
My setup was quick built and so it isnt optimised neither well planned, but the resistant plant did good results so far, some leaves burned but buds are healthy and well growing, i intentionnally jumped quick to 12/12 because of odors but this give a harvest date at around december 10.

On another word, the tube of green seem like a easy to manage technique; i want to say just give it a fast try, think a bit, make a quick cab and it should do results (you basically just need a bulb, a grill and to be able to grow a healtly plant, youll also need some time to train the plant =p)

the varierty i used, is doublegum from withlab but it doesnt seems my plant is designed for scrog and compared to the WW-WL, it doesnt seems like very healthy variety (only 2/10 seeds germeds, were not mutants, or unhealthly), anyway the strain i kept did good results, i grow a mother and the plant you see in the pics is a revege. So it seems like vertical tube of green isnt hard to manage and that about any correct variety can do the job.

lastly, i dont run a grow-journal, i would have likeed to but i have some problems with the comptuer and camera.
ill try to post pics but not sure how it'll go.

hope this post can help anyway and good luck to curious and vertical'growers

grouchy

i'll give my point about some thing asked in the thread:

about the distance between the lamp and the leaves/buds: using a big 200w cfl-lamp, the leaves are only 1inch away from the leaves; i tryed to keep the buds and the grill away a bit more (1.5/2inch)
anyway, the insteresting fact about this is that althought the temps rise up to 32°C at the leaves, they still growed and didn burnt (only the leaves touching the bulb burned).

i'm using a computer fan (a quality fan from noctua) just below the bulb and i guess this fan does a lot to the heahtness of the plant as it bring fresh air to the leaves and etc.
My setup was quick built and so it isnt optimised neither well planned, but the resistant plant did good results so far, some leaves burned but buds are healthy and well growing, i intentionnally jumped quick to 12/12 because of odors but this give a harvest date at around december 10.

On another word, the tube of green seem like a easy to manage technique; i want to say just give it a fast try, think a bit, make a quick cab and it should do results (you basically just need a bulb, a grill and to be able to grow a healtly plant, youll also need some time to train the plant =p)

the varierty i used, is doublegum from withlab but it doesnt seems my plant is designed for scrog and compared to the WW-WL, it doesnt seems like very healthy variety (only 2/10 seeds germeds, were not mutants, or unhealthly), anyway the strain i kept did good results, i grow a mother and the plant you see in the pics is a revege. So it seems like vertical tube of green isnt hard to manage and that about any correct variety can do the job.

lastly, i dont run a grow-journal, i would have likeed to but i have some problems with the comptuer and camera.
ill try to post pics but not sure how it'll go.

hope this post can help anyway and good luck to curious and vertical'growers

How did you hang your fan? I was thinking of just using some kind of wire to string it from the screen.

pulse

How did you hang your fan? I was thinking of just using some kind of wire to string it from the screen.

this is just how i did it :p
not very "pro" but it works very well as you can position the fan exactly where you want (thus the air flow also goes where you want)

if i could give you my experience: my setup looked like your 's, anyway i had difficulties to get the plant out and getting the plant out is very usefull to water the plant (i prefer to water outside the cab) and more, it's usefull to train à la scrog method. i worked the cab a bit and it was easier but in the process i had to cut 2inch of grill, so it was 2inch of cfl not really used and 2inch of plant not used either :(

can you get your plant out with ease ?
as i said already, my setup was quick designed so may be your setup is better designed

keep this thread updated mate :)

grouchy

this is just how i did it :p
not very "pro" but it works very well as you can position the fan exactly where you want (thus the air flow also goes where you want)

if i could give you my experience: my setup looked like your 's, anyway i had difficulties to get the plant out and getting the plant out is very usefull to water the plant (i prefer to water outside the cab) and more, it's usefull to train à la scrog method. i worked the cab a bit and it was easier but in the process i had to cut 2inch of grill, so it was 2inch of cfl not really used and 2inch of plant not used either :(

can you get your plant out with ease ?
as i said already, my setup was quick designed so may be your setup is better designed

keep this thread updated mate :)

Yes the screen and container come out easily. I was hoping to pull the air up over the bulb so that I could use the light coming off the bottom of the bulb to grow even more along the bottom. I am trying to fashion something to effectively pull the air and maintain the cool temps and I will update when I can. Check out my thread on DIY remote ballast 42w cfls if you want to see some other stuff I have been working on. I put a link in this thread somewhere already.

I thought about going vertical, but couldn't get my head around a decent design. Ended up with this:

picture.php

Nice thread by the way!

grouchy

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for the compliments. I can't wait to get this grow going to see what happens.

jdmramon

wow it threw me for a loop when I first saw it. I love the simplicity of it and how effective it is. I think a trash can stealth grow could easily be pulled off with great yield.