What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

400W HPS Scrog - 1Plant - 450gr Harvest

i am truly inspired to attempt a scrog, would any of you gentleman guide me please.
how much space does each plant need?
can it be done under a 1000w?
any usefull information, or a point in the right direction would be appreciaited

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
Yea there was some sort of upgrade and things were SLOW as watching grass grow... lol

I like, I think I'll watch what you have to show!

F

flat5th

NBG. I can't believe this thread is still alive!!!

I've had a few grows. In the middle of my first scrog. It's going ok, but nothing much.

Seeing that you replied yesterday...i was wondering if you could give just a quick rundown of your technique?

Do you top/FIM your plants?
How much of the screen is filled when you flip to 12/12?
what's your training process?
when do you stop training and just let them grow up?
Distance between tops and bulb?
A quick description of your feeding system (DWC?)

thanks man, this is the biggest inspiration i've had in a while.

-Fifth

F

flat5th

couple more questions:

Do you trim leaves that are blocking light or just leave them all intact?
Do you cut off everything below the screen?

thanks
-Fifth

could scrog potentially yield more than sog?

nbg, what was the dimensions of the scrog that started this thread

do you mess with Co2 ?

trueblu8

That depends on how big your grow is. I think SCROG is better if you want to yield big from a limited number of plants. It is advantageous to use this method if for legal reasons you want to keep your number of plants down without having to sacrifice yield. If however, plant numbers are not an issue, SOG I believe would be the best method to use.

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
nag-champa said:
My guess would be ScROG in any one grow. ScROG uses fewer plants meaning more space for pots/tubs. The bigger the pot, the bigger the roots, the bigger the buds. When I SOGged I had 50-100 plants at a time in various stages of growth. ScROGging I have 2-4 plants and produce more with a single plant than I did with a 24-36 plant SOG.

However, SOG usually harvests faster as there's no waiting to fill a screen. This may allow SOG to out produce ScROG over time. SOG is also better for multi-strain grows. You'd want multiple screens in a ScROG and moving them and plants together can be a pain.

trueblu8

Holy smokes! Great info. So would you say that 4 plants in SCROG would be equal to 100 plants in SOG? Wow. How much could you yield from 100 plants SOG vs. 4 plants SCROG respectively? Do you prefer to grow SCROG now?

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
I think sog is more efficient for a few reasons. With sog you are constantly flowering and not waiting for roots to grow or a screen to fill in.

Each plant is in its own pot doing its own thing with its own root mass (added up lots of roots), so if one plant bites the dust or gets sick with mites you pull it and still have the litany of other plants to average out your losses. With scog if your one big ass plant gets sick and is going to die you have to start over and veg again!

That said I think scrog and low numbers or even just bushy topped/lst plants is the way to go because getting busted with 5 plants is a lot better on paper than getting busted with 50. Plus for personal use who needs super efficient production.

trueblu8

Deft said:
I think sog is more efficient for a few reasons. With sog you are constantly flowering and not waiting for roots to grow or a screen to fill in.

Each plant is in its own pot doing its own thing with its own root mass (added up lots of roots), so if one plant bites the dust or gets sick with mites you pull it and still have the litany of other plants to average out your losses. With scog if your one big ass plant gets sick and is going to die you have to start over and veg again!

That said I think scrog and low numbers or even just bushy topped/lst plants is the way to go because getting busted with 5 plants is a lot better on paper than getting busted with 50. Plus for personal use who needs super efficient production.
Hmmm... Very good points! Five plants and under here is still a misdemeanor.

Last edited:

NBG

FreezerBoy said:
:)

Chiefsmokingbud said:
NBG, wow bro I left you for dead...or in jail LOL. Glad to see yer back. I see you haven't gotten that rusty
DEAD? IN JAIL? What kind of good for nothing young hoodlum do you take me for lol. Nah, i've never been in trouble with the law - only trouble i had was when i got jacked, and that sure as fuck won't happen again. I've learned to keep my mouth shut now. No-one knows about this except you guys lol.

nag-champa said:
i am truly inspired to attempt a scrog, would any of you gentleman guide me please.
how much space does each plant need?
can it be done under a 1000w?
any usefull information, or a point in the right direction would be appreciaited
I'm sure most of us here will be happy to help you, just fire away with specific questions. How much space does a plant need? Well how much space have you got? And you are god damn right it can be done under a 1K lamp.

Deft said:
Yea there was some sort of upgrade and things were SLOW as watching grass grow... lol
Still is a bit slow for me actually! Some times i check in, watch the page hang and then leave lol.

Flat5th said:
NBG. I can't believe this thread is still alive!!!

I've had a few grows. In the middle of my first scrog. It's going ok, but nothing much.

Seeing that you replied yesterday...i was wondering if you could give just a quick rundown of your technique?

1 Do you top/FIM your plants?
2 How much of the screen is filled when you flip to 12/12?
3 what's your training process?
4 when do you stop training and just let them grow up?
5 Distance between tops and bulb?
6 A quick description of your feeding system (DWC?)
7 Do you trim leaves that are blocking light or just leave them all intact?
8 Do you cut off everything below the screen?

thanks man, this is the biggest inspiration i've had in a while.

Lol yeah this thread is almost retro now. Still life in it left though, good to see some civilised and informative discussion going on too! OK your Q's,

1 I pinch the to off at the 5th or 6th node
2 50%
3 When the tops grow through the screen, i tie them back down - in the direction of empty space (outwards towards the sides usually). At the start i don't tie down much but just pull the branch back under the screen and poke the top through a hole further away.
4 About 2 weeks into flower
5 As close as i can get it with out causing bleaching/leaf curl. I use a cool tube so its approx 1ft-1.5ft i reckon.
6 Rockwool and hydroton in a big tub handfed once a day. Exactly like a soil grow but with a hydro medium. Nothing fancy about this style and i get good results with it. I'm surprised more people don't do it to be honest.
7 If a leaf is blocking a budsite, i take it off. If it isn't, then it can stay.
8 I try to but on this grow it kindof grew back throughout flowering and now theres quite a lot of resinous lettuce under there lol.

Trueblu8 said:
Wow. Very nice!
Thanks buddy!

Nag-champa said:

nbg, what was the dimensions of the scrog that started this thread

do you mess with Co2
I've never done a SOG so i have no idea. Really not keen on having loads of plants. In the original scrog the dimensions were 1.5ft x 3.5ft if i remember correctly. Did i mess with CO2? No, but i was sleeping in the same room so they had some of mine in the night i suppose?

NBG

Whoops hit 'reply' there....
Forgot tonights pics. They are a bit shit but i didn't want to stick around for a decent snap because the room stinks!

This is the powerplant scrog at 7.5 weeks approx and i've just hit it with some GH ripen as i am getting impatient and need to harvest asap. Seems to be a reasonable amount of bud in that little cupboard now so i'm happy enough with it. Thanks for the positive comments chaps, hope you had a good NYE and may we all prosper in 2009 :)

C u in a few days perhaps with harvest shots?

NBG

PS: if anyone is wondering what the black thing is curved around my pot, its a snake heater mat i put there to keep the rootzone warm as it is a tad chilly in that room at times!

Last edited:

icough2getoff

NBG, awesome grows man, I love your scrogs. Canopys look killer as do your buds and yields. I love big plants. Keep up the good work :yes:

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
glad to see this revived. let us know what your ending up with for sure. peace and smoke.

little-soldier

very nice inspiring scrog nbg im proud of you, lol ;)
its good to know your back and safe so you can continue to entertain us hehe.
I have one simple question for u if you dont mind. Maybe Im wrong but I can see on your picture that your oscilating fan is on an angle pointing towards the plant and Im really wondering why not just put it straight in between the top of the plant and the hood? I see so many people do it your way and im seriously wondering why.

Latest posts

Latest posts