What's new

35 Years in Prison for 1/4 pound of Cannabis in Texas

NHMI

Part of it is the 3 strikes law is not right, as we see here. I don't know what his 2 priors were but if they were all pot he surely doesn't deserve 35yrs. The judge asked for 99yrs, which is sickening...the judge should be hanged publically.

This is why I stress we need to forget party affiliation and vote for whoever vows to uphold the Constitution as a solid construct, an absolute that all laws must conform too. If it were liquid or changing then it wouldn't be law, nor would it protect us from tyrany synce those in power would re-write it as they see fit. If our country was still a Constitutional Republic, pot couldn't be illegal cuz it is unconstitutional to legislate personal choices. Their purpose is to protect us from threats both forein and domestic.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Wow, thats harsh. deserves 35 years for a pound of coke and a gun? I disagree.. Someon should have to lose half thier life for trafficing cocaine. And if somone was in possesion of that much coke, i'd expect them to be armed.
I'm not sayin its right.. but I dont think its deserving of 35 years in jail. lol whats that gonna solve. Is it gonna make him a better person? help his kids? Okay so maybe it takes danger out of society.. but danger to whom? some crackheaded thief? lOlolol

it doesnt take any danger out of society, there are others like him free.

but this is his 3rd strike(i dont believe in strikes) but at some point he needs to be tought a lession.

im not sure what to do but i dont want people like that running around.

H

HippyJohnny

Texas is just ahead of the curve.

Why the surprise at this? Until someone actually engages a system it appears a belief exist that everything is all good or at least not that bad. It is that bad.

Have a serious ongoing medical issue and engage the system and tell me it is working well?
Get popped for possession any amount and engage the system... did you get justice?
( Oh look I found baggies and over here on the counter is a weight watchers drug scale... oh and a roll of aluminum foil.... ah ha... we have a dealer here)
Get asked to an appointment with the IRS and they ask to see your books and records (they aren't talking about the Beatles and Tolstoy)... were you treated fairly and innocent until proven guilty? ( try to exercise your 5th amendment rights if you really want to see them laugh)

The bright side is now this man has provided jobs for jail employees, court clerks, legal staff, medical staff... and the DA can show why he needs to be elected again because he is "tough on crime"

Orwell was an optimist.
:fsu:

ninesix

Prison is big business. May cost 30K a year to keep him in prison. But its nothing compared to the 30 cents an hour he's gonna work for making prison goods. Once more....fuck the police.

HydroManiac

Time for another civil war the only way were ever going to get our rights back and stop this from happening is to fight for it they will never change unless they have to

HydroManiac

if this guy appeals past the tyler court, to a texas state court he will a little better off. The sentence would be reduced to about 3 months to a year, and some probation.

This story surprised me until I read which town. have cousins that used to live in tyler so I am very familiar with the racist, meth head town. They were the only 5 jews in the whole county, and they knew it because they were treated like shit.

Less then 5% cases appealed are overturned he has a snowballs chance in hell for a appeal to get him off he is going to prison for the rest of his life and nothing is going to stop that now

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
It seems like a moment out of the Twilight Zone that someone could get 35 years in prison for Cannabis when it was medical and about 1/4 pound.

We really have nothing better to do than keep the Texas prison industry running smoothly.
That quarter pound bust will cost over $100,000 to punish Wooten or was that over $1,000,000 for 35 years of imprisonment.

http://rawstory.com/2010/03/texas-jury-jails-man-35-years-marijuana-possession/

Can you imagine this in our day and age.. 35 years for less than a pound of cannabis? Doesn't that fall under cruel and unusual punishment?

Ernst

I didn't read anything about the drugs being medical. Texas has no medical marijuana laws. The drugs couldn't have been medical.

What about the three strikes laws? Are we all against putting habituals away for good?

facelift

This is the money you could be saving if you grow
Veteran
I'm sorry. There are no excuses for grwon men to be busted for possession, dealing, cultivation anymore. No excuses at all. The men have had their entire lives to figure it out and they still don't get it. They get what they deserve, it's better this way for the family they leave behind.

grow up and take it like a man.

R

rocky5

anyway of supporting this man directley?
letters of support or funding him in prison?
a real shame he must feel like the world is upside down.

RetroGrow

Veteran
Hunt Judges and DA's

They'll quit prosecuting eventually by hook or by crook

Smiley

My feelings, exactly.
Read yesterday that the Mexican cartels are about the to target American law enforcement. I suggest they start with Tyler, Texas...maybe that DA & judge?

H

HippyJohnny

Facelift says:
Are we all against putting habituals away for good?

Facelift, if you accept that pot laws are valid then I can understand why you think giving a human being a life sentence for weed is a good idea. If not, then wtf are you trying to say?

Do you think an 18 year old boy that receives a nude picture of his 17 year old girlfriend on his cell phone is a "Sex Offender"? Thats how it works now in some cases.

Aren't we all for locking up "sex offenders"? Of course we are, but lets be careful about what we accept as labeled a "sex offense"

Is a case of this type really what the Habitual Offender law should be used for? If justice was actually meted our properly do we even need a habitual law? Sounds like more brainwashing about how we all need to be protected from the "bad" people... and create more prisoners.

How amazing it would be if we actually made a criminal be accountable for restitution instead of paying no one with "time".
:ying:

This is an example of complete injustice and has created another casualty of the drug war

Peace:joint:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Time for another civil war the only way were ever going to get our rights back and stop this from happening is to fight for it they will never change unless they have to

How are you going to get people to fight back nowadays when they are content to sit in front of their TVs and be hypnotized on a daily basis? There are so many outrageous things going on in the world now, with globalization, overpopulation, destruction of the environment, the diminishing of our rights. Seems as though the feds, and the people in power-the rich, the corporate chiefs, our politicians-they have complete control, and we, the masses, are the means to their power. Hard to know who to lash out against when the offenders are so powerful and numerous and their "subjects" are so anesthetized. I'm with you though.
Now, if only the rest of the people were a bit more uncomfortable.

J

JackTheGrower

Keep talking about things is the way to reach them.

The best example is the layer after layer of activity in this forum.

We all share here and the threads age and fall to back pages and still we re-share the same ideas again later in new threads.
Nothing bad about it. It shows how the information reaches different people at different times but their response is the same as many before!

Keep telling folks.

That's all we can do..

How are you going to get people to fight back nowadays when they are content to sit in front of their TVs and be hypnotized on a daily basis? There are so many outrageous things going on in the world now, with globalization, overpopulation, destruction of the environment, the diminishing of our rights. Seems as though the feds, and the people in power-the rich, the corporate chiefs, our politicians-they have complete control, and we, the masses, are the means to their power. Hard to know who to lash out against when the offenders are so powerful and numerous and their "subjects" are so anesthetized. I'm with you though.

good post

HydroManiac

Because people need to man up get some backbone fight for their rights I am willing to die for my rights but your right most people sit in front of their big screen tv's not giving a fuck what goes on around them. A good way to start would be to refuse to send in your tax money when the time comes if everybody would do that the government would be broke in a few months. I am so tired of these lowlife scum politicians throwing away trillions of our money and not accounting for cent of it. It's time to step it up people it's time to fight!

2Lazy

Here's my take on it. This dude is a career criminal. He's 54 years old and he's dealing dope from his truck. Not just that, but his stupid ass has been caught twice before on felony charges, and had already been caught in a "drug free zone" a year prior. He OBVIOUSLY wasn't a benefit to society, especially if you consider the cost of human life the Mexican drug trade carries into Texas. Borders mean nothing to these scum.

If this was a grandmother who just didn't know any better then I would think it was ridiculous. But this guy deserves neither support nor sympathy from the cannabis community. He is everything that is wrong with people in general, but more importantly, his case only goes to support the judgment in that state when you look at the facts.

I swear, this thread it RIDDLED with people who didn't even read the article. Hell, I accuse the OP of some blatant FOX newsesque propaganda editorial in order to get people to think the same way he does. Grow a brain people! This dumbass got himself caught a FOURTH time! He deserves his fate if he couldn't learn how to act in 54 years of life.

Absolutely ridiculous. The war on drugs is a war to enslave us further. Its almost time for revolution be it peaceful or hmm?? You tell me if you'll be ready if the time comes!!

maxibiogreen

Veteran

Absolutely ridiculous. The war on drugs is a war to enslave us further. Its almost time for revolution be it peaceful or hmm?? You tell me if you'll be ready if the time comes!!

Are you ready to "revolution time yourself". Think it over cos revolution does change things, many of them and I often hear people talking about it and not much is done after these talks.

In case you really are ready count me in and let me know about your plan cos you might have a plan. Don t you?

Latest posts

Latest posts