What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 pounds per 1000 watt... organic?

Are there any organic growers out there pulling 3+ pounds per light? I've been arguing whether this is possible all day.

The other question: Is it a good idea financially to "dial" past 2.5 pounds per light? or does the law of diminishing returns come in?

whodair

Veteran
diminishing return because of excessive vegg time for trees ... or due to complexity of multi sites with small plants??

if ya can pull 2 1/2 with buckets on the floor why muck it all up for another few oz perhaps ??

zenoonez

Veteran
Only strain I have ever heard hitting 3# per light that was of true medical quality/connoisseur quality was the JoeSchmoe cut of Casey Jones.

NOKUY

Veteran
most peeps consider 1 gram/watt being a respectable mark.

if you can pull that then your doing good to get a lil over 2 pounds per 1k

i'm sure w/ the right strain and right pheno that 3lbs isn't out the question.

diminishing return because of excessive vegg time for trees ... or due to complexity of multi sites with small plants??

Diminishing returns because of veg time, the added hours of training, and the higher risk for molds/mildew with so many buds packed under each light.

whodair

Veteran
Diminishing returns because of veg time, the added hours of training, and the higher risk for molds/mildew with so many buds packed under each light.

well there ya go...grow healthy well spaced plants that are very productive not stressed to the max !!

rize up !!

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
With everything dialed in perfect I've indeed got 2.5 before. Type depending and no doubt it could get even better.

!!!

Now in technicolor
Veteran
Your best bet would be going vertical, bare bulb, with a lot of plants. On TCC Heath Robinson pulled 1.8 GPW off a 600w (that's 38 oz) - Was I there? No. Does Heath lie? I don't know. But your best best is going vertical.

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
brother, if you could get 2.5 per light, where would the diminished returns begin...wtf, push as hard as you're able. if it's just to say 'i hit the mark' then just say it and be chill with 2.5, minus my advisory tax of .5 to be sure.

whodair

Veteran
Your best bet would be going vertical, bare bulb, with a lot of plants. On TCC Heath Robinson pulled 1.8 GPW off a 600w (that's 38 oz) - Was I there? No. Does Heath lie? I don't know. But your best best is going vertical.

i think fiddling around with small plants high numbers is a diminshing return to my garden experience

brother, if you could get 2.5 per light, where would the diminished returns begin...wtf, push as hard as you're able. if it's just to say 'i hit the mark' then just say it and be chill with 2.5, minus my advisory tax of .5 to be sure.

I'll give some more details. I am consulting for some folks in NJ applying for a MMj grow. No one has been accepted yet, although many have applied.

We are thinking about maximum efficiency over the long run on a 30+ light operation. What I am considering:
1) is it more cost effective to add more lights, or try to push past 2.5 lbs per light?

of note: we are on commercial electric, and space is not an issue. the only limit is 99 plants or 99 kilos per harvest.

also of note: organic is a state requirement :)

MadBuddhaAbuser

Kush, Sour Diesel, Puday boys
Veteran
I'll give some more details. I am consulting for some folks in NJ applying for a MMj grow. No one has been accepted yet, although many have applied.
of note: we are on commercial electric, and space is not an issue. the only limit is 99 plants or 99 kilos per harvest.

also of note: organic is a state requirement :)

hey thomkal. where did you get these numbers from?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
is it more cost effective to add more lights, or try to push past 2.5 lbs per light?

Well in terms of cost effectiveness I would have to say it would be best to try to tweak your way past 2.5lbs. It's fairly cheap to add more plants or to adjust what you already have as there is little if any added cost. Adding more lights however will definately increase your overhead.

Well in terms of cost effectiveness I would have to say it would be best to try to tweak your way past 2.5lbs. It's fairly cheap to add more plants or to adjust what you already have as there is little if any added cost. Adding more lights however will definately increase your overhead.

Plants are stuck at 99. Lights are unlimited.

The tweaking that I am referring to is physical labor, ie low stress training. This is hourly work, and will add expense to each cycle.

What I am trying to figure out is if the added hours of labor will outweigh the added yield, from increased LST techniques.

And if the LST techniques will slow down the overall life cycle, will that extra couple days of growth outweigh the added yield?

I thought you were some kind of professor, Thomkal?

This is an unprecedented situation, as the client is applying with the state government and is business first. My usual consultant work is older people who need to grow XX pounds per year to pay their mortgage. These guys need to grow XXX pounds per year because it is a business model.

I've never thought about the cost effectiveness of paying employees to ALL of the gardening as that is usually not an option.

Maybe I should ask admin if its okay upload the NJ rules and regulations, only 114 pages of extremely restrictive MMj law. :)