What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

3 plus 3=?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
You've had tri's before strain, so I'm guessing this one is a relative in one way or another?

To be honest VG, there aren't any rules set in concrete on these issues. I've had a normal turn into a quad (my very first), (which I failed to clone no matter what I tried), I've had a branch from a tri be quad from the start, (so I topped and removed the other branches to turn that one into the main stem), and I've had quads born that way. I haven't taken a normal clone from a tri or quad, and had it trun into a tri or quad later in life. But I have bred from a branch from a tri (which itself was normal (bi)) and gained tri seeds from it. The only thing I would say, ( and this is more my personal superstition that being based on known facts) is that I'd rather take the clone that I intended to breed with from a node that itself exhibbitted the trait I was looking to reproduce. I do have a basis for that, but can't point to any online sources to back it up. But saying that, I wouldnt throw existing clones away either. I'm afraid its all trial and error (apart from the successes lol).
Yeah that an interesting observation you make about the DC and Blue. Its fairly commonly accepted these days that the tri/quad trait that comes from the blues is passed down from the OPT (oregon purple thai) side, however given that I've never seen a tri/quad OPT and I have now seen the trait in the DC line (ie yours), I could be persuaded to accept that its either more likey to be passed down from the Afghani or is a natural mutation that can happen in any line. I prefer the theory of mutation rather than recessiveness. Its either the doubling of a gene sequence or a failure to split the double helix (diploid cells into haploid cells) at the time of breeding. Without a big magnifying glass (really mean pro microscope and lab equipment) its something that I have to just wonder about. I would like to think the former, but either is as likely truth be told.

Hey Mr Corpsey, I suspect the answer will be no I'm afraid.

ericcalif

Off topic from the thread but this girl has me scratching my head...

I had a lemon haze fem seed that turned out really good and took some cuttings from her, only one made it but she's really odd.

Same genetics since she is a cutting, but all she's grown so far is mostly single and triple leaflets, with one double. I figure she's bound to produce the same awesome budz, but in veg she's pretty goofy so far.

M

mugenbao

One of my Mandala Sadhu beans that I just popped is a trifoliate. Until I read this thread I had been intending to cull it to keep within mmj plant limits, but now I'm strongly considering culling something else so I can keep it. I've seen a lot of mixed "conventional wisdom" about trifoliates, so I'll be following this thread with some interest.

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
You've had tri's before strain, so I'm guessing this one is a relative in one way or another?

I have indeed, but there is no relation between the two. The previous trifoliate was a mystery bagseed, a male, and long-since dead. This new one is part of a breeding project I'm doing here, matching my 'local elite' White Widow cut with the mixed pollen from 4 of purcellville's Blueberry [outkastt cut] x F-13.

Here's a few shots of her beginning to bud up. Still tri:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hi everyone, sorry I havent been keeping this thread up to date. I'm not really interested in running the thread anymore to be honest, and have deleted my pics from my gallery.
There are a couple of updates that some will be interested in hearing though.
1. Someone else on these boards is now using my pollen to do a cross of their MYOG clone, not sure what will happen there. Either way other than supplying the pollen I have no interest in the cross and anything they do with the seeds is their call.
2. My numbers on the last round have taken a leap forward. I have now moved from a steady 15:1 ratio to a 5:1 ratio. That may not be a stable number and I imagine will move once more rounds of testing have been carried out, but its by far the best ratio I have seen so far. I now have to do backcrosses and incrosses gallore to identify the best breeding parents, and thats gonna take time and numbers which I'm not happy about posting details or pics of online. Hope you all understand, I'll try to keep you up to date with whats going on, but running a thread and posting pics of what I'm up to isn't something I'm happy doing right now.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
hey Tree, sorry mate, only just returned to this thread, good to see ya, give me a shout sometime if you come back.

Just a quick update, ratio is now at 3:1.

Just starting the next round, I may even put up some pics at some point lol.
Got let down with some clones I was expecting, so I have an empty wardrobe and some seedlings at the mo with my long term mother going into flower and new cuts (hopefully) rooting.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
been a while since I threw a hissy fit and deleted my gallery, so thought I'd start throwing a few pics around the place again :)

picture.php

picture.php

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
lol not that old, those buds are either drying or being smoked at this moment :)

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Tri's, Trippers, Quads...Whorled phyllotaxis...whatever its called it does some interesting things to a plant..
GMT just gettin to know ya and only now looking thru this...
But to add Ive seen a few and heres my bloom result..I have not tried f-gens yet but I did use this mother to make them..It was motarebs BubbaOkush and started to show about 4th node in veg..it was not topped or even super cropped..
By wk 3 in Bloom 2 of the main stalks started to dom the plant..By wk 6 the main 2 colas were so heavy it split the stalk like a twig..I splinted and finished the plant at 10-11ws..
Out of all th4 herb Ive ever smokes in my 24yrs growing and over 30yrs smokin..It was in my top 5 power wise of all time...
I consider it "whorled phyllotaxy cannabis" as Foliate refers to Finger or Blades..Whorled to me is more Shoot and Node relative..
Don't want to rabble over that tho..Lets talk plants and what were learning here...If theres 3 Tri's work for me..Diploid, Haploid and Triploid talk to lets let the plants talk to us...hope you dont mind the intrusion and its taken as openly as meant...keep rollin

btw the first showing of this I noted them as Rushmans but later came to understand that the orig work may of been motarebel with Rush only selling the seed of it...Either way it was a stand out hybrid of the 2 lines..
The last pic I have of it trimmed is wicked but I cant find the image atm...It look exactly like a hand making a Peace sign...go figure...
FOE20

Attachments

• BubbaOGBub1wkBlmV2_10-18.jpg
    BubbaOGBub1wkBlmV2_10-18.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 24
  • BubOGfullViewPic1v2_12-18-06.jpg
    BubOGfullViewPic1v2_12-18-06.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 26
  • BubbaKOGBubbaV2_10-9.jpg
    BubbaKOGBubbaV2_10-9.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BubOGcolorsV2_12-14-06.jpg
    BubOGcolorsV2_12-14-06.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 36
  • BubOGsidePic2v2_12-18-06.jpg
    BubOGsidePic2v2_12-18-06.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 25
  • BubbaKOGBtriploidPic10-9.JPG
    BubbaKOGBtriploidPic10-9.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Foe, thanks for keeping the thread alive. She looks like a real beauty. Tell me one more thing about her please, lets piss Tom Hill off completely ;) how was the yield on her compared to the "normal" pheno's from those seeds?

Jay, lol I like that, If I ever did do a release, I may well nick it and call em Tribal.

FOE20

Parthenocarpe Diem
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey GMT......about 1/3rd heavier...the line was well done tho and had quite a bit of vigor compared to other Bubba or OG hybrids...not sure why but they are like the best of both worlds being a mix of 2 well ladies in their prime...But that was done with PBP in a DWC non-recyc 2gal bucket and pulled a qp dried...some very fine herb indeed ad 1 of the best plants I ever grew....

Tri-bal is kewl...nice twist!...
FOE20

Jaymer

Back-9-Guerrilla☠
Veteran
thats the triball Tri-B.L. IBL tri-bee-L, i thought i had a tri here for a minute with the mm, nope just two fans at the node, steady bursting at the core there GMT!

Latest posts

Latest posts