What's new

3 plus 3=?

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
cool, it looks almost like you've ended up silver plating the inside of that jar.
I didnt realise that it was so localised, that makes it very controllable. It looks like you got a really healthy concentration of your water. That maybe the key as I've seen a lot of reports that say the pollen was hard to collect from the male flowers. I'm gonna start gathering materials in the week, and next weekend I'm gonna have a go at making my own brew. Make sure to check in at some point around then will ya, I may need guidance on something I havent thought of yet.

terry the trich

Yeah no problem mate, i'll keep an eye on this thread and try to answer any questions you have.
The first time i tried it was with an old broken silver ring that was 925 silver and thinking back, it did cause deformed male flowers inside the bud but with no pollen. The 999 silver worked like a dream and the male flowers were fully formed and gave off pollen, which i used to self that plant and its sisters (fellow clones). Those seeds got mixed up with some others though which is a pain, but it was only an experiment anyway at that time.

I hope my BB cuttings root soon so i can make some fem seeds from them. The one im flowering at the moment smells lovely; bubblegum sort of aroma.

Peace

Tel...

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I'd also like to try this with a male, and see if it creates all male seeds or mixed male female seeds. In theory I guess 25% would be female, but 25% would be super males that when bred to a female would create 100% male plants. It would be nice to be able to guarantee a male when planting.

edit, for that matter if a super male were to be selfed, everyone of the offspring would in theory be supermale.

terry the trich

It only works to convert female to male because of the way it works. It basically stops the flow of ethylene to that branch which makes it throw out male flowers but with only female genes. But i have seen some posts that talk about turning a male plant female. I get lost in the threads on here sometimes but i will try to find the ones i was looking at recently. I'll get back to you on that one and hopefully come up with a link or two.

I never thought it was possible to turn a male female but it is, and i think its to do with light stressing the male.. I'll have to re-read it too as i sometimes take a little while to digest what i read. Read something about being able to use one of these males to make seeds that will be mostly female but as i said i'll get back to you on that..

Tel..:wave:

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
ive bred mine to be resistent to light poisoning. that doesnt work regardless of what you do to the lighting schedule now.

terry the trich

I think this was the one i was reading about reversing males
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=99597&highlight=reversing+male by sam skunkman. He talks about supermales there, i think on page 2.

Definately an interesting read.

Thats good that your plants dont hermi with light stress. The unknown strain that i have growing doesnt seem to hermi either, and i havent been carefull at all with light etc. Theres been times when the grow room door has been open and light has got in during the dark cycle and no hermis apart from the C.silver branches.

Tel...:wave:

EDIT: Got to love this site, so much interesting stuff to read if you can find it. I seem to stumble across some great threads but im no good at using the search lol. ...And my brain is like a sieve at times

EXTRA EDIT: C.silver must do the same thing to hops and kiwi plants which are also seperate sex plants. I found a hop plant over the local park and they have seeds in them, so that could be a non-cannabis project for me to try in the spring.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
This is one of my best photos, although at 5.9mb it looks a lot better than it does at 147kb

picture.php

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
Heya GMT. Check out this girl I've got running right now. There's her baby shot and one taken today, about a week into flowering. She's in the stretch and still - as you can see - putting out tri nodes. You won't be surprised by her heritage at all... she's White Widow x [Blueberry x F-13].

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i have a couple for ya. Deep Chunk from the same seed batch...

we have a quadrifoliate DC - and i think it's going to be a girl too. could be interesting and perhaps yield well. it started as a regular plant and became quad after a few nodes... not sure if that is 'normal' for these phenomena or not :D
also another from the same seed batch (DC5) developed trifoliate leaves after a few nodes too.
heres the quad.
picture.php

bigger pic - note the lower leaves are in twos
picture.php

and this one has just turned tri - they seem to be doing it on or near maturity
picture.php

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
they're from the seeds i made from the plants i grew from the seeds released last year. i used all 5 males and pollenated 4 girls. these plants grown from seed off one of the girls (DC5) there was no tri or quads in the original batch so perhaps some recessives at work here ??

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hey Strain and VG, very nice plants you both have here. It seems this evolution of the plant is becoming more prevelant as times goes by. I hope you'll both be considering breeding with your special ladies or gents. Its interesting to see the DC as I'm not aware of any blue being in the DC line. I actually have a DC seed in soak at the moment, I just wanted to try one out. I have just harvested one batch of tri seeds and have around a week left on another batch of tri seeds from the same generation of seeds, (but diff tri parents). My plan being to find a parent from each batch and breed the cousins. I also have a clone that I plan to self. I've been spending a little time away from the site recently, I've been sulking about being made mod for a night then being fired lol. Still shit happens and I'm sure I'll be posting my pics again soon.

Strainbrain

Veteran
I certainly hope so, GMT, I for one enjoy your updates. My trifoliate girl is coming along very nicely, starting to put on resin now and smelling very much like her mother - which is a completely positive thing. (Her mother is one of the very best plants I've ever seen.)

I'll bring more pics soon. :smoke:

As for breeding, I dunno. She's part of a breeding project of mine and I have no idea what the cross will be like - these are the first testers.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Oh yeah one quick note while I think on, I found that crossing a quad to a tri seems to reduce the tri numbers in the offspring significantly without producing any quads in the offspring. Whereas crossing 2 tris together will increase the tris in the offspring and create a few quads. No idea what thats all about. And I've never crossed 2 quads together or selfed anything. I'd love to know the effect of selfing a quad though. I'd do it but I havent seen any for a while. But saying that, I get the same ratios of tris in tri x bi as I do in tri x quad so using a quad to breed with a tri is no worse than a tri x normal. Just an observation, make of it what ya will. Plus its only one guys notes, so more input into that would be very usefull as my exp may be an anomoly. The numbers of trials arent high enough yet to draw any real conclusions.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey GMT, i was wondering about cloning my Quad DC, the cloning material is from below (younger) than the quad trait manifested itself - i was wondering if the clones would definitely act the same? i guess there is only one way to find out...
have you seen that before GMT? - a plant starting as normal and turning quad? - im pretty sure it's not fasciation

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
p.s. the DC is a pure line so no blue in it - but the blueberry does have afghan in afaik...

Strainbrain

Veteran
have you seen that before GMT? - a plant starting as normal and turning quad? - im pretty sure it's not fasciation

I've had a plant do that - actually it started normal, grew normally, spit out a couple of very unmistakable quad nodes, then went back to normal growth in the stretch and through flowering. Again, though... blue line. That was one of RM's Grom x Grape Krush.