What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd Build-DIY COB with Vero 29's x 6

Sup Roasty? Here is a few pics of the passive heatsink from heatsinkled sorry about the quality of pics I'm still trying to figure this site out lol.

Attachments

• 1121162311.jpg
    1121162311.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 13
  • 1121162159b.jpg
    1121162159b.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 1130162225b.jpg
    1130162225b.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 11
That one is rated at 80 thermal watts. I have a Cxa 3070 on there that's being ran at 50 watts. The biggest they have fits the 3590 but they make them for any size chip. I highly recommend you make the plunge and get ya 1! They are designed to keep the chip at an optimum temperature for performance. If a chip is too hot or too cold the efficiency will be less than ideal.

Sante

In DoPa
Not 1.4? I don't understand, about what?

i alreay see the molex datasheet but i took some informations from another forum and read it

"Cobs have a "contact to contact" voltage rating so in series each brand/model of chip will have a limit on how many should be used to stay within the manufacturers operating limits. Gen6 Veros have a 150v limit and gen7 have a 500v limit. Specifications for gen6 don't allow for more than 5 Vero18s in series.Vero18 gen7 D will allow about 15 in series. That will place the weak link at standard 300v wire and the Pico connectors. High voltage wire and soldering the contact points will allow a circuit voltage up to 500"

jikko77

i told you, once, that the ezmate could support up to 1400mA, well the spec said max 2.8A (2800mA).
from the spec you see that it can be run at 2800mA and max 130v per single cob.

Sante

In DoPa
i told you, once, that the ezmate could support up to 1400mA, well the spec said max 2.8A (2800mA).
from the spec you see that it can be run at 2800mA and max 130v per single cob.

Ok, i got it! The user from the other forum made some confusion with other ezmate type.
I'll try to solder! What about the driver? Would be a good choide for 5 veros? Seems good with a good efficiency, isn't it? 250w for a 70x70cm tent should be more than enought

bosgrower

Hi all.
Kudus Roasty (and others) ... nice thread.
I'm in the final planning stage for 2 new 4x4 tents and I'm looking at the Vero 29s, CXB 3070s, and cxb 3590s.
I'm still deciding between a 3 bar 9 COB fixture or a 3 bar 12 COB fixture. Cost is an issue since I'll be building 2 of them, but I really want to maximize yield. Either way I plan to give the fixture a 3x3 footprint to try to get even distribution over the canopy from overlap and side reflectivity.
One thing I noticed was the voltage restriction you mention for the Molex connectors for the Vero 29s. I think you my have an old spec ... what I found is that they presently have a 300v limitation. I may be misreading this, but here's a link to the documentation
http://www.molex.com/pdm_docs/sd/688014229_sd.pdf
I know that more is better when it comes to lights, but if anyone has experience with a 9 COB setup I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Hi all.
Kudus Roasty (and others) ... nice thread.
I'm in the final planning stage for 2 new 4x4 tents and I'm looking at the Vero 29s, CXB 3070s, and cxb 3590s.
I'm still deciding between a 3 bar 9 COB fixture or a 3 bar 12 COB fixture. Cost is an issue since I'll be building 2 of them, but I really want to maximize yield. Either way I plan to give the fixture a 3x3 footprint to try to get even distribution over the canopy from overlap and side reflectivity.
One thing I noticed was the voltage restriction you mention for the Molex connectors for the Vero 29s. I think you my have an old spec ... what I found is that they presently have a 300v limitation. I may be misreading this, but here's a link to the documentation
I know that more is better when it comes to lights, but if anyone has experience with a 9 COB setup I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Ya man the pico ez mates i used were rated at 130v, the wires on them that connect to the cob are super small, like 24 guage. The one you linked looks like 18 awg so ya 300v is probably good. There is always the solder option as well.

C

CannaBuilding

Ya man the pico ez mates i used were rated at 130v, the wires on them that connect to the cob are super small, like 24 guage. The one you linked looks like 18 awg so ya 300v is probably good. There is always the solder option as well.

I'd go with Solder option, The pico Ezmate plugs are crap, they degraded after 6 months (tried to install Lenses and had to remove them, but they just broke off, the plastic went all brittle). Well thats my experience, maybe others have had good experiences with them, but why pay extra for something when you can just solder a wire (very easy and straight forward, higher contact area, and able to use thicker gauge wires).

peace.

gmanwho

Veteran

the pico ezmate connecters use a 18awg wire connector first, then soldered an drops down to 28 awg just before the connector. rated for 300v ....atleast this model

What up Roasty? Day 8 bloom. 5 cxa 3050's @50 watts each. Coco, air pots, blumat maxi drip irrigation. Advanced Nutrients Sensi coco line.

Attachments

• 0118172306.jpg
    0118172306.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 0118172307.jpg
    0118172307.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 13

thewhat77

Roasty,

Thanks for a great thread. Pretty damn clear build and just wow, what a great way to get into COB LEDs.

The LED market has hugely matured over the last few years and this is an amazing way to get the most bang for your buck. Forget all those crappy eBay specials and overpriced blurple LED grow lights. This project comes out to about $200 for 240w of LEDs. And it probably pays for itself in a couple of grows.

Previously I was considering upgrading to a 400w CMH but you helped changed my mind.

I've replicated your 3x Vero29 COB array to supplement my little 150w CMH...the girls vegged for too long and are 5' monsters now.

Do you have any details on how you wired your dimming pot?

Roasty,

Thanks for a great thread. Pretty damn clear build and just wow, what a great way to get into COB LEDs.

The LED market has hugely matured over the last few years and this is an amazing way to get the most bang for your buck. Forget all those crappy eBay specials and overpriced blurple LED grow lights. This project comes out to about $200 for 240w of LEDs. And it probably pays for itself in a couple of grows.

Previously I was considering upgrading to a 400w CMH but you helped changed my mind.

I've replicated your 3x Vero29 COB array to supplement my little 150w CMH...the girls vegged for too long and are 5' monsters now.

Do you have any details on how you wired your dimming pot?

Right on man, glad this was useful for you.

On the pot, I just took the dim out + to the center pin on pot, and the dim - to one of the side pins on the pot. The difference would be which way you want to turn the pot for dimming.