What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd Build-DIY COB with Vero 29's x 6

I would do 4 vero 29's at 1400mA and make sure to get a dimmable driver. You'll need at least 1 foot clearance above canopy unless you can dim it down. I haven't gone over 130w with my 3 veros at 1 foot away. So if you have the height you can run more, but it's more efficient to drive at lower currents.
I'd run 4 cobs on a hlg-240h-c1400b and space them about 8 to 12 inches apart in a str8 line. Don't use the pico EZ-mate if putting 4 cobs on 1 driver as you'll exceed the max voltage of the EZ-mate's. You'll have to solder your wires to the chips. Passive cooling is the best route, but spendy. I use arctic 64+ and drive the pc fans with a Mean Well apv-12-12, up to 4 fans wired in parallel.

Arf

36x20x62"
currently have a 400 watt hps

You can run 4 down the middle, 4 x (9" x"20") rectangles but it would mean one axis gets way more light than the other, not so even.

However, if you divide your space into 6 x (12" x 10") rectangles and stick a COB in the center of each it's a pretty easy to visualize spread wise without factoring in wall reflections etc.

So I would do 6 x Vero29 (2 rows of 3), running off two drivers, probably the dimmable 1400mA ones Roasty suggested, and dim them down to about 1,000mA (36W each COB) you should get a better yield than the 400HPS with noticeably less power consumption.

Nice suggestions Arf! That would be a much more efficient and more even coverage. Definatly yield better. Then you could also use the Pico EZ-mate's, glad I used them. I enjoy your posts Arf, I learn a lot from you.

To save a few bucks on drivers you could almost max out this driver with six vero 29's. Near 320w max, but you'd want to dim her down to ~1050 mA like Arf recommended.

i see at the start of this thread you used the 2100ma. was it hard to cool? or any other drawbacks besides efficiency? i am going to put the drivers outside the tent. i already purchased 4 vero 29 before i made any post here. i was more concerned with cost than efficiency or i would have bought the 3590 72v

Yes i used 2100mA, but i have yet to use more than around 1100mA for my grow. If your not worried about efficiency, go ahead and do 2100mA. But you can only fit 3 on the driver i used. The 320w 2100mA driver would fit 4.

i am going to use two 2100mA drivers so i can use the ezmates. this what i have so far. i made this purchase before i asked any questions in here that is why it might look like i didnt take any of yalls advice. i am going to purchase the rest of what i need next week. the heatsink is 24"

jubsp0.jpg

Thanks for this, will this basic setup be sufficient to push 4 cobs as well?

You would need a driver to handle 152 volts to do 4 cobs on 1 driver. And you could not use the pico EZ-mates as they have a 130 volt max. But you could solder to the cobs instead. A 1400 mA driver may fit the 4 cobs.

C

CannaBuilding

Great thread mate, Thanks for taking the time to post up all the info.

Im using vero29's and i've harvested the dankiest bud from these lights, COBS really are in a league of their own, hoping others jump on the bandwagon.

Peace.

Uncle77

So a 100k pot will dim the setup? Meaning that the pot will rotate? Just googled what is a 100k pot didn't know electrical stuff, just researching about a DiY lamp and found your thread. Very nice setup!