What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2k Perpetual Mineral-Rich Living Soil

C

c-ray

the cheapest source of sproutable barley in my area is malt barley seed for planting 11 bucks a bushel
mumms is decent for online and organic sprouting seed

C

c-ray

the spreadsheet says high K, S and Fe.. lots of Ca but low B

too much K-mag I'd say, and not enough B.. need more P in the meantime to balance out P:K ratio I'd say, and some borax

for instance 2-3g 20 mule team brand borax in 1 litre distilled water plus some humic acid to keep it from being leachable is enough for 100 gallons of your medium (relative to it's Ca levels and CEC) for around 2 months growth, can divide the boron applications for once every few weeks until the solution is used up.. B is best applied to the roots..

C

c-ray

either that or I am full of shit lol.. curious how many folks will find this post helpful..

S

SeaMaiden

C-ray, what's the source of the malt barley? Been reading about that court case regarding the farmer who planted GMO seed second hand, and while I haven't a clue as to whether or not barley is one of our GMO'd crops, neither would I be surprised to learn it has been GMOd.
I just thought i might say some thing about the power of sprouts. DAMN they kick ass.

My plants love sprout teas. I have been using alfalfa sometimes and a mix of alfalfa mung, broccoli, pea and some thing else. My plants are cranking.

Not only my little ladies but all of my house plants as well. I have been using the rinse water to hit my house plants and they have never looked so good. 3 out of 5 Orchids now blooming, had a couple of sick plants, not anymore, better then ever and throwing off new growth in unexpected places.

Most of the time the day after I hit something the growth is just jaw dropping.

Some of my friends ask what i would use as a bloom booster or growth enhancer I would say spouts all the way. I have some between 3 days and 2 weeks out and they are the frostiest most aromatic I have seen these strains since I have been running them.

I have been searching High and low for barley but cant seen to find any, so I got some hard red wheat to try.

I have a question. I know most sprouts grow a long tap root and then the first leaves but these have narley roots8.

I was wondering at what point I should start my soak to make the tea?

Normal I wait till the first leaves just break out of the shell, then soak for 24 hours.

I just checked the sprouts and they have about 1/4 to 1/2 inch roots I thing tomm I will start my soak.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Timbuktu

Northern Brewer, my friend. I've been using malted barley extract for years now. It's very handy being prepackaged, if not a little on the expensive side. However, a little goes a very, very long way. Consider using something like that if you can't find barley that will actually sprout for you.

I can't speak to how you should make the tea. I save my sprouts for cover cropping and green manuring. :)

Apache123

Spouted chia seeds

Spouted chia seeds

Great ideas!!!!!! Iam going to sprout some chia seeds and soak them. How long do you soak the sprouts? Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Cheers

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
Great ideas!!!!!! Iam going to sprout some chia seeds and soak them. How long do you soak the sprouts? Thank you in advance for any help provided!

Cheers
You'll want to check on the best ways to sprout chia seeds or you'll end up with a mass (mess) not unlike Jello

You can't use the methods that you use for Barley seeds for example...

VortexPower420

Veteran
Apache- just started to play with Chia for sprouting. I used the jar method and it was a flop.

Then I found out that you need to do a "dry sprout". which is just putting the seeds in a paper towel or in a sprouter. Something where you can keep them constantly moist but not sitting in water.

Its my first time dry sprouting and I used paper towel. 2 days roots like crazy but... now they are all stuck to the paper towel..

Oh the joys of experimentation. Live and learn.

I'm not sure what I will use next time but I will report back when I find something that works.

Awesome C-ray, What spreed sheet are you using?

I always felt I need more B and after going back and reading alot of Hugh Lovels articles in various place I know I need more.
I have been foliar spraing with Photomag which is Micronized Humates,Mg sulfate, Dextrose, Boron, Cobalt and Mo.

I notice a nice deeping of the leaves every time I use it (once a week). They get a nice glossy look and really just look excellent 24 hours after a spray.

I know It does nothing to increase soil B but helps in the plant, or so I have been advised. I did take your advice and added about 1 gram of borax to my mix today.

My mix- 4 gal water
5 sprout mix
1 tsp ful-humix
4 Tbls Organic Nep fish
1 gram borax
1 tlbs Pro tekt
4 oz aloe
2 oz Sea-crop

I reallly need to get a soil test. I will get one after I chop in 4 weeks or so. Then I will have all the answers.
Thanks All

Timbuktu

C

c-ray

made my own spreadsheet to help with the ratios when building soils and composts

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Apache- just started to play with Chia for sprouting. I used the jar method and it was a flop.

Then I found out that you need to do a "dry sprout". which is just putting the seeds in a paper towel or in a sprouter. Something where you can keep them constantly moist but not sitting in water.

Its my first time dry sprouting and I used paper towel. 2 days roots like crazy but... now they are all stuck to the paper towel..

Oh the joys of experimentation. Live and learn.

I'm not sure what I will use next time but I will report back when I find something that works.

Awesome C-ray, What spreed sheet are you using?

I always felt I need more B and after going back and reading alot of Hugh Lovels articles in various place I know I need more.
I have been foliar spraing with Photomag which is Micronized Humates,Mg sulfate, Dextrose, Boron, Cobalt and Mo.

I notice a nice deeping of the leaves every time I use it (once a week). They get a nice glossy look and really just look excellent 24 hours after a spray.

I know It does nothing to increase soil B but helps in the plant, or so I have been advised. I did take your advice and added about 1 gram of borax to my mix today.

My mix- 4 gal water
5 sprout mix
1 tsp ful-humix
4 Tbls Organic Nep fish
1 gram borax
1 tlbs Pro tekt
4 oz aloe
2 oz Sea-crop

I reallly need to get a soil test. I will get one after I chop in 4 weeks or so. Then I will have all the answers.
Thanks All

Timbuktu

Try a Handy Pantry. They are awesome!

http://www.handypantry.com/?gclid=CPaJ6pz5yrUCFSNqMgodumYAnw

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
MHG

Hemp bags and even a hemp pillow case. You can use flax cloth as well.

I bought some hemp bags (used) from a sprout shop (mung beans) and these are made in China and are designed specifically for sprouting seeds.

You want raw cloth if you decide to make your own bags......

CC

VortexPower420

Veteran
Carbonatite

Carbonatite

So I said I would speak more on Carbonatite. It is a Ca based Ultramafic alkalic rock.
In a nut shell it mean a highly reactive rock which breaks down on contact with oxygen.

It contains the following-
65% Magmatic Calcite
15% Primary and secondary clays (Biotite, vermiculite, pyroxene and others)
12% Apatite (rock Phosphate)
8% Trace minerals (including catalytic rare earths)

I have got it through the conference i went to and spoke to a rep. Nice guy and they run a good company. Sustainable mining practices, well as good as any mining operation can get.

I have been researching Carbonatite and have found there are a few deposits around the world but the make up only 0.1% of all igneous rocks but contain the most complex make up.

I can't say I have used more then a top dress but the literature and the other looking around I have done this seems like a great addition to a recycled soil situation.

Here is their handouts, very interesting we cited. While I do support them I do recommend you try and source Carbonatite local but I think it would be hard because of it being so rare.
http://www.borealagrominerals.com/handouts.html

I would be interested in what all you guys who have been around a while think about this. While I would not exclude anything from my mix (except maybe k-mag) I feel this would be a great bit of diversity. I touches upon almost all of the important inputs in a living soil.

It seems to me once you have a good balanced mix a top dressing of lets say VC or compost and Carbonatite along with a nice Compfrey, horsetail, alfalfa mulch and you have got yourself all you could possibly need to sustain plant for a run.

I could be wrong just spewing my thoughts I could be very wrong, I would like to hear what you all think

Thanks
Timbuktu

VortexPower420

Veteran
I love that website, I plan on buying a load of the brix blend for my container garden I am doing this year.

I have meet the dude who runs it, cool guy.

I very fortunately live in right in the center to all of these sources but they are still about 3 hours for most. Unfortunately I am going to be too busy this spring to run around to all of these different quarry s around, so I will just use these guys who mix many fines together already.

Timbuktu

C

c-ray

I just moved that link over to the brix thread so more folks can find it / in case anyone's wondering what VP is talking about

ghostmade

Veteran
Awsome thread im really putting things in proper perpestive.organics is wheres It at that feel good na mean chems have there place but not in the dirt or any media for the fact of he matter(strictly hydro no dumping of the rez.for nutrient and boimass) any ways rant off jus wuted to let yall known u are striking cords in a epic fashing.Lol

VortexPower420

Veteran
Ghostmade- Thanks for stopping by glad to have another fighting the good fight, growing great medicine and not polluting the world.

VortexPower420

Veteran
HEy folks just thought I would through up a up date.
I chopped 2 Agent oranges, 2 ChemD and 2 Daywreaker diesel

I have to say some of the finest smoke I have helped make so far and my yields are right up to par with my old methods and they were not the healthiest plants towards the end. I used bottled organic nutes for the first two weeks of flower the switched to the methods above and my soil mix was different. All in all very happy. I will post pictures later when I get the camera back.

The rest of my garden is rocking and rolling. Ive got some Agent oranges and and The flavs 2 weeks out and More ChemD and DWD coming in about a month. The last round the ChemD and DWD only made it to 60 days these are going to go 70 or longer. I can't wait to see what they do.

A few words on TGA genetics...THey suck... All of the flavs are herming on me. I don't know why but they are, My ChemD which tend to throw sterile bannans are clean of male flowers but the Flavs got dicks everywhere. Im pissed.

The Agent Oranges are quite nice though and I have a Jack the ripper that is showing promise as well. They just have the problem of extreme stretch and they don't support themselves.

I can't be happier with my garden right now, this next round is picture perfect greasy, stinky sticky gnarly nuggets that just get juicer by the day.

I will post my refined water/sprout/tea schedule tomm. with pictures.

I
m still recovering from Melvin And JGB. They rocked the house down, but I 'm getting to old for all nighters back to back.

Timbuktu

Latest posts

Latest posts