What's new

24 hour darkness before switching to 12/12

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
6 years aint shit . when you hit 30 let me know
Time is like seniority... worthless if it's just a bag of air.

I don't care how long anyone has been growing. I've run into 20+ year growers that grow shit. I've run into 1 year growers (that actually grow intelligently) that have done awesome on grow one.

Come talk to me when you've spent a great deal of time applying a great deal of research in your gardens. That's what counts in this game.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

supermanlives

Veteran
ok here i am .i have spent the last 18 extensively researching everything about cannabis. i read way more than i post. and my weed will hold its own against anyone elses. he made 6 years sound like a big deal .and i didnt like his dispespect to a led grower. ya i caught his attitude in his post .i dont plan on using led anytime soon but dont mock led growers. to each their own.

Neo 420

Veteran
Time is like seniority... worthless if it's just a bag of air.

I don't care how long anyone has been growing. I've run into 20+ year growers that grow shit. I've run into 1 year growers (that actually grow intelligently) that have done awesome on grow one.

Come talk to me when you've spent a great deal of time applying a great deal of research in your gardens. That's what counts in this game.

I hear all that but you should not knock people who use LED. I don't prefer them but I would never use that as a inferior point. That's what the little snaggle was about....

R.E.S.P.E.C.T

BTW...

What is your thoughts on 24 hours of darkness before flowering? Everything else in this thread is a tangent.. :dance013:

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Where, in my post, am I knocking LEDs? WTF?

I merely commented on one statement... clarifying it for those who're stuck on 'time' being worth something without something behind it. That's all.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

be.pro

Ok I apologize for the smart ass comment about LEDs, I felt insulted and reacted wih emotion, perfectly human. 6 years is 25% of my life time so yeah that's a big chunk. And maybe pumping is the wrong word, perhaps feed is correct as we all know you canT force feed anything in nature. I feel as if people on here think they have it all down because of seniority which is untrue. Follow my log and judge the quality yourself in 2 months.
Verdant green I did feel as if you were singling me out thanks for the apology. Sorry for slapping the LEDs they just aren't my thing.

Neo 420

Veteran
Where, in my post, am I knocking LEDs? WTF?

I merely commented on one statement... clarifying it for those who're stuck on 'time' being worth something without something behind it. That's all.

Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

My bad...Now that I read what I wrote, I understand your confusion. (Saturday is when I can usually smoke all day...)
It should have stated "I hear all that but be.pro should not knock people who use LED."

Be.pro statement on LED's was said in a condescending manner. Showed a real lack of class. You then coined your statement (for which I agree). Not sure but it seemed like you were defending be.pro. If that is not the case, I apologize....

be.pro

disrespecting a member cause they use led lighting is immature .sp? and ahole i bet i pull way more than you . i dont need to brag tho and i only show enough to let people know i am serious. fuck off. 6 years aint shit . when you hit 30 let me know

I was purely implying the fact that i shave time off flowering when i use a dark period to induce flowering, not gpw or any of that sort. and disrespect from "goodluck with your LEDs"? this feels like high school all over again. and fuck off? geeze man really taking things to a whole new level. call me immature? if you have 30 years plus experience i would expect some more maturity considering your age.

time shows nothing, its the amount absorbed in the time, which varies from person to person.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wow...it amazes me how very silly such threads become. You can't really expect much more when the premise of the conversation is fallacy in the first place...

No light = no photosynthesis, ie the process through which a plant converts light energy to viable energy for growth. This is scientific fact for ALL plants.

Here, read this thread - and LEARN to demystify cannabis.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=242587

See, had you searched the site - you wouldn't even have made this silly newb post.

And time is relevant to ones passion. Keep thinking you know all - you only limit yourself. Don't always have to toy and tinker about when sooooo much of this non-sense is already tried and tested by folks who are doing it 100x the scale you or I can comprehend - and this applies to horticulture in general, plants - not just "weed".

What is the saying about knowing history - lest you be doomed to repeat the same mistakes...

But tinker away junior - lol.

dank.Frank

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
For grower looking to "shave time" - ppppppppffffftttt.

I'll continue learning how to increase quality...(medicinal effect)

Gimmicks and followers of such only make it easier for those doing it proper to succeed. Thanks for that!

dank.Frank

T

TribalSeeds

If this worked you would see commercial agricultural operations using it and there would be studies to back it up.
My plants seem to need the light to deal with the moisture.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok I apologize for the smart ass comment about LEDs, I felt insulted and reacted wih emotion, perfectly human. 6 years is 25% of my life time so yeah that's a big chunk. And maybe pumping is the wrong word, perhaps feed is correct as we all know you canT force feed anything in nature. I feel as if people on here think they have it all down because of seniority which is untrue. Follow my log and judge the quality yourself in 2 months.
Verdant green I did feel as if you were singling me out thanks for the apology. Sorry for slapping the LEDs they just aren't my thing.

no worries, one thing about LED's that is relevant to this discussion is that flowering response can be sped up considerably by a spectrum rich in far red... taking about a week off the flowering time.
like i said ive used HID for years - HPS, MH and CMH, and done pretty well with all of them - but LED's for me give that bit more control over spectrum and im happy to be an early adopter of a technology that is bound to be the future of growing.

what we all as growers need to avoid is getting into any 'us and them' arguments. we are all growers and we all have stuff to learn irrespective of how long we've been growing for.

IC attracts all types of people, and you'll have to forgive some of the older members for being sceptical of new members that are 'giving it the large one' until they have shown that they can walk the walk as well as talk the talk ;)

good luck with your grow, i'll be checking it out

VG

Floridian

Veteran
dark time

dark time

In the same way that a plant flowered with 6 weeks veg will flower faster than the same flowered at 3 weeks,losing a day of photosythesis and putting the plant into hibernation for 24 hours only means you lost some vegtime

be.pro

Nice VG, ill take that into account, i too looked into LEDs when i lived in a non-med state but the technology just wasnt there yet. i hope it comes around for use in larger operations. prices are through the roof right now unless you make your own.

one thing someone said on here mentioning a transitional period from 24hr veg to 18/6 for a few days then to 12/12. Im going to try this out seeing how the timing is perfect for me and most of my room is a 7week strain right now anyways. been in 24hr veg for 4 weeks, just flipped them to 18/6 for the next 3 days then going to 12/12. Hoping for a good reaction/fast flip time considering VGs point that light stress can cause herms. also considering an old partner of mine tried a 72 hour dark period (which is far too long IMO) and there were nuts all over the place during his run of pineapple express. Ill keep you all posted over the next two weeks on the reaction time. bless, +~~

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
sounds like a good plan this time around.

if you are using strong lights to veg your plants, they are actually happier having some kind of dark period - because they have certain processes that happen when the light are off.

so if you run your veg lights 20/4 or 18/6 - you can have them off during the hottest part of the day, they will start flowering a bit quicker when you flip them, they'll be happier in veg and you save a bit of money on the electricity!
also it means that if you have to spray them in veg, you have a lights off period to do it in.

VG

señorsloth

Veteran
well my bed of clones went in the dark today at 6pm, tomorrow at 6pm when the light turns on in my flowering chamber they will go in there...

i'm dubious, i must admit, but at worst it's not going to cost me anything, and at best who knows, i guess in 4-6 days i'll know because this is an 8 day clone i'm using, every single month it's 8 days so any deviation in that and i'll know if it's helpful, i guess i'll be back here in 7 days to put this to rest, well as far as i'm concerned anyway...you can accept my results or try it yourself, but people who speak from experience tend to be right a lot more often than people who speak from theory...so im going this route, i'll feel more confident either way.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
oh i imagine it will speed up the flowering response, but that doesnt mean it's a good idea in the long run - especially when a bit of forward planning can get your plants where you want them without introducing unnecessary stress and complication, imo.

VG

Maj.PotHead

End Cannibis Prohibition Now Realize Legalize !!
Mentor
Veteran
i veg 18/6 under cfls

1st day of flower is

plants start day off in veg @6am lights on, around 4pm on day of harvest i chop and hang plants in flower and clean up closet.
flower dept comes alive @6pm i place next run into flower n let them rock n roll. 1st day is 24 hrs light my pics and grow logs show it all

BuddahLova

learn to speak English you tool, nobody will respect anything you say enough to reply if you can't respect us by at least pretending you aren't some kinda 16 year old dropout...you will find this goes equally in the real world...are you still wondering why you didn't get that job you interviewed for at kfc? LEARN ENGLISH!

Agreed. English is on its way to becoming a language of abbreviations and slang.

BuddahLova

I love Threads like this hahaha and seen many 24 hours , 48 hours, 72 hours off before flipping to flower.
Where do people get these things from :) anyway's here is my thought on this subject.
growers that grow indoor try to mimic mother nature as best as they can in order to have good results, Where on earth is it 24 hour lighting other then the poles ??? or opposite darkness , and really nothing grows there on the poles right.
So to give plants 24, 48 hours of darkness prior to 12 / 12 is only stopping growth that would of occurred. don't mess with this just flip to 12 / 12 and be done with it, Won't make a bit of difference its the shortage of light hours that trigger flowering phase all to do with the light being plant is photosynthetic response to light not darkness

Your opinion on Photoperiodism is flawed at best. Show me proof of what you've just said. Your concept of the day/night cycle is wrong. Read up on cucumbers. FYI temperature can also affect flowering cycles.