What's new

24 hour darkness before switching to 12/12

izzybud

i agree with you bajangreen. we can go back n forth all day with info on this and that. what happens and doesnt. but like i said ...if someone can point out the scientific book or reading material (whatever it may be) it would be WORTH READING!

until further information becomes available, personally, ill agree to disagree.

Neo 420

Veteran
its funny how you guys put something down but never tried it yourself, " only researched it" , ive done it myself many times , and ive just changed the timer also, and i saw with my eyes that the extra dark helps start the internal clock or plants decision to flower faster,

I have tried it...No conclusive results.

like the myth that frost kills plants , lolol, ive had plants frozen solid as a motherfucker, thaw out and finish like normal , so all you fags that chimed in with no experience pls dont post unless ya tried it ok

Was this a MJ plant that froze solid, thawed and then competed flowering??

be.pro

There are many valid points made here going both ways, however there doesnt have to be scientific proof for this to be correct, or written in any book, especially with a topic that is is effected by genetics and we all know there are wayyyyy to many genetics out there to determine a specific answer. do a run trying it, and not trying it, do a run with 24 hours darkness, 48 hours, and 72 hours. I personally have tried this many times on a multiple strain room and each strain is different. But i will say that in MY experience, with my own two eyesss i have seen plants that start flowering quicker after elongated periods of darkness prior to flowering. every strain ive ran shows faster flip time with more than 12 hours darkness to start, shaves off at least 3 to 4 days.

Another note, indoor growers do not try to mimic natural environments, if you are, move somewhere else and grow outdoors. Indoor growers are creating an ENHANCED environment for plants, using different bulbs to find the perfect spectrum, AC units to control temps, dehumidifiers for stable humidity, high quality nutrients for high quality flowers, soils, hydro, etc.. i could go on and on about the elements indoor growers control to make insane buds.

I do not have a degree in botany but hell, 24 hour veg time isnt natural? neither is 18 hour days? neither is perfect 12 hours on 12 hours off for weeks on end. i couldnt tell you what the internal hormones are doing but i do know my plants are as happy as ever, and produce super stinky glassed over flowers that i wish i could bite into lol i could, but food wouldnt taste the same for a while.

Good luck with your studies, my advice DIY and follow the results you prefer. +~~ to all, no need to step on anyones toes we're all in the same boat here

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
such practices will stress your plants imo. they start to produce massive amounts of gibberellins in the dark and stretch (ever seen what happens to potatoes that sprout in a dark cupboard? )

if you want them to start flowering quicker then veg them for a few says less and flip them a few days earlier. its quite easy to take into account that week or so of growth after flipping them rather than stressing them with extra dark periods.

VG

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
its typical stoner law this stuff, you wont find it advised in real horticulture, just like you wont see advice telling you to sprout seeds in paper towels before planting them. stoners just dream this stuff up and because they're all hiding nobody told them it was bad practice.

VG

Neo 420

Veteran
Another note, indoor growers do not try to mimic natural environments, if you are, move somewhere else and grow outdoors. Indoor growers are creating an ENHANCED environment for plants, using different bulbs to find the perfect spectrum, AC units to control temps, dehumidifiers for stable humidity, high quality nutrients for high quality flowers, soils, hydro, etc..

I would of used the word OPTIMAL. And I do try to mimic nature and legit horticulture.

I do not have a degree in botany but hell, 24 hour veg time isnt natural? neither is 18 hour days? neither is perfect 12 hours on 12 hours off for weeks on end.

24 hour photoperiods may not be natural but it is documented. And some locations in this world does receive 18 hours of light. The perfect 12 hours is a tangent....

But to each his own.........

A gardener is a person that tends to a garden and is therefore a horticulturist. However, not all horticulturists are gardeners.

be.pro

I would of used the word OPTIMAL. And I do try to mimic nature and legit horticulture.

Ok, an enhanced environment to create optimal conditions, better?

and thats beside the point, we're determining whether a dark period before flip is worth the time and stress on plants. for me i say it is, others dont... I have never experienced lack of quality nor yield when i create an elongated dark period. toot your own horn. +~~

Also, cannabis has the fastest recovery time out of any type of plant (if you know what youre doing) that i have experience with. which is a lot.

Those of you against this due to stressing out the plant, are you also against topping? super cropping? fimming? these techniques also stress plants out yet are used to benefit the grower/gardener/botanist/horticulturist using them. just curious

Perhaps some growers like to take advantage of the longer flip time by pumping the plants with veg nutes for the first 2 weeks while they transition into flower for the extra growth. On the other hand i know people who use a dark period and then pump them up with high phosphorus bloom nutes to prevent stretch and get flowers forming faster. I agree with neither, no one is right here, there are literally millions of ways to grow plants, its what works for you.

Yikesy

a friend of mine put it best IMO

"I always plce my plants into darkness for 24 hours, this is equal to 4 days 12/12 as already stated the flowering hormone builds up during the dark period and is reduced by the subsequent 12 hours of light, it builds up faster than it is deteriorated by the light period so it usually gradually builds up after say 10 or so 12 hour dark periods to trigger a full flowering response, placing your plants into 24 hours dark alllows the hormone levels to constantly increase so the levels of hormone are dramatically increased by the time you start your usual 12 /12 cycle if given the 24 hours uninterrupted dark period.."

personally i find it DOES cut about a week off the flowering time due to that first week... the hormone is built up much quicker than usual and triggers flowering a few days earlier.
:laughing: I love the Internet.

señorsloth

Veteran
lol! i started on page one just reamin' the OP for his lack of effort in writing a decent question...personally it just bothers me how all of these growing forums have gone from a bunch of growers discussing idea's as in the overgrow days when the internet wasn't so big, to at least half the members being most likely underage kids pretending that they grow to get some kinda thrill, collecting post counts and karma points like it's a game...but of course they flood every forum with EVERY single stoner myth in the world, many that were put down years ago get brought back...and of course there is no way to know who is telling the truth, unless they are willing to risk security to post pics...and probably my biggest pet peeve is that these kids have terrible grammar, and ask the same question over and over and over and over and over, instead of googling...then you answer them and they complain that they don't want to take the time to read your entire reply, or they say you are wrong and just go with what they originally planned to do.

I'm also jealous that i can have a legitimate question, take the time to research the hell out of it, and write it up nicely and neatly with proper English, only to get a limited response, then these kids come in and intentionally misspell half their words because it's sooooo important to them that we know they talk in slang, they write a 2 sentence question with only 3 correctly spelled words, for a question that's already been answered a dozen times on this same site...and half the time people take them seriously and take the time out of their day to educate these kids! i feel like there aught to be a way to get like a little badge for your profile, saying your a confirmed grower, like you send a pic to a moderator of your grow with your screen name in the background...so that people can know who is an actual grower with experience, and who is just a poser with a ridiculous post count...

honestly im a little stunned, that there are 2 full pages of people wholeheartedly debating this question. of course i don't know the answer, and that's why i didn't pretend i did, i devoted my reply to childishly ripping on the original posters lack of effort...lol

it does interest me slightly, yikesy has the best point if you ask me, his quote has a solid logic to it...i don't know if this will help me at all, i grow perpetual sog, have been for a good while now with the same one plant, cloned hundreds of times over the last 8 months or so(c99) so i am getting really really really in tune with how this one plant grows...it is a very fast flowering plant, i pick at 56 days every time, and with the exception of the first run, my clones always start flowering within the first 7 days...

i will give it a shot, because i believe i know this plant so well that if it does begin flowering early, i'll definitely know it...i am harvesting half my crop next friday, so next Thursday i'll plant my clones in my grow-bed, and lock it in my closet for 24 hours, then stick it in my flowering cab 24 hours later...

i mean what have i got to lose? it doesn't take any space in my grow room to do it, and i'll know if it worked within a week from that day...i guess i'll post my results in 2 weeks on this thread...even though i don't think the thread starter worked hard enough to deserve a real answer...i do think the community aught to be constantly working to dispel these black market myths and weed out anything that might actually be good for growers...prohibition has set us back so much compared to legitimate crops...

Bobbo4200

Veteran
I've tried the 36 hour before flip, and 36 up to about a week before chop because I no longer had room in my tent, and it sure does seem to work. Gives them a boost before flowering, and increases aroma, trichome's and I hear potency before the chop. All I do to achieve this is by putting a large box over her. Do what you like, you keep growing ragweed-I'll keep growing top-shelf, killer bud!!

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Also, cannabis has the fastest recovery time out of any type of plant (if you know what youre doing) that i have experience with. which is a lot.

is that a fact or an opinion? do you have a citation for it?

Those of you against this due to stressing out the plant, are you also against topping? super cropping? fimming? these techniques also stress plants out yet are used to benefit the grower/gardener/botanist/horticulturist using them. just curious

most growers know that light stress is likely to lead to herms in cannabis growing, your comparison to topping/training is a poor one.

Perhaps some growers like to take advantage of the longer flip time by pumping the plants with veg nutes for the first 2 weeks while they transition into flower for the extra growth. On the other hand i know people who use a dark period and then pump them up with high phosphorus bloom nutes to prevent stretch and get flowers forming faster. I agree with neither, no one is right here, there are literally millions of ways to grow plants, its what works for you.

all this 'pump them with this/that' is bs really and again just stoner law. if you give them 24hrs dark then you are losing a day's photosynthesis, thats how i think about it. just plan ahead and flip them at the right time for your setup.

i dont like to mess with my timers as it introduces possibility for error.

VG

Neo 420

Veteran
Look...I am going to keep this plain and simple.... When you put several years under your belt and decide to stop experimenting you will start to run discipline routines and regiments. I only change for proven tactics. I cant play any more...

Out..

kongbud

Look...I am going to keep this plain and simple.... When you put several years under your belt and decide to stop experimenting you will start to run discipline routines and regiments. I only change for proven tactics. I cant play any more...

Out..

BINGO I almost never vary from whats tried and true to me. There is no magic bullet and no trickery. Ive found most "gimmicks" to be way way over rated to the point where they are imperceptible. In other words they don't really do anything. JMHO

be.pro

Verdant green you're just contemplating everything I'm saying. Read and research all you want, I've been studying cannabis for 6 years and the only way to truly learn the The plant is to have experience with it. This back and forth is bs, do what you will I'm sure I'll be pulling more harvests per year than you, goodluck with your LEDs . +~~ all

supermanlives

Veteran
disrespecting a member cause they use led lighting is immature .sp? and ahole i bet i pull way more than you . i dont need to brag tho and i only show enough to let people know i am serious. fuck off. 6 years aint shit . when you hit 30 let me know

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
yeah 25+ years here too, i prefer LED's to HID, and they are affordable for a small grow like mine.

be.pro sorry if you think i'm getting at you. i'm just trying to get you away from the thinking that plants are some kind of machine that you are in complete control of. thats not the way it is at all. look into plant growth regulators, the way roots work (largely they choose what nutrients to uptake despite what you 'pump' them with), and the way red/far red controls flowering response.

GL

VG