What's new

24 hour darkness before switching to 12/12

kez

Hey guys just wondering want you gud ppl was finkin on the topic of 24 hour darkness b4 switching to 12/12......... I've never done it but I'm bein told that it helps the plant flower better........any thoughts would b gr8

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
if it wasn't bred in like conditions or didn't experience it in its optimal natural environment it is not a good idea

if you run your veg in a 24 hour light cycle is suggest you transition into flower transition with a 18.6 light schedule

this will give you the result you are looking for

a friend of mine put it best IMO

"I always plce my plants into darkness for 24 hours, this is equal to 4 days 12/12 as already stated the flowering hormone builds up during the dark period and is reduced by the subsequent 12 hours of light, it builds up faster than it is deteriorated by the light period so it usually gradually builds up after say 10 or so 12 hour dark periods to trigger a full flowering response, placing your plants into 24 hours dark alllows the hormone levels to constantly increase so the levels of hormone are dramatically increased by the time you start your usual 12 /12 cycle if given the 24 hours uninterrupted dark period.."

personally i find it DOES cut about a week off the flowering time due to that first week... the hormone is built up much quicker than usual and triggers flowering a few days earlier.

kez

Fanks for the reply........I do keep my plants on 18/6 in veg......it's diffo sum fink worth finkin about......

señorsloth

Veteran
Hey guys just wondering want you gud ppl was finkin on the topic of 24 hour darkness b4 switching to 12/12......... I've never done it but I'm bein told that it helps the plant flower better........any thoughts would b gr8
learn to speak English you tool, nobody will respect anything you say enough to reply if you can't respect us by at least pretending you aren't some kinda 16 year old dropout...you will find this goes equally in the real world...are you still wondering why you didn't get that job you interviewed for at kfc? LEARN ENGLISH!

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
i say try it and put results in a thread, i personaly like the 24 to 48 hours dark before flip and before chop
i saw with my own eyes the results wich were faster flowers by the long dark period, it some how resets the internal clock or or whatever , i cant explain it , but it does work

Neo 420

Veteran
@kez

Do not let your plants sit in darkness for 24 hours or any other myth based photoperiod. Go directly to 12/12. I have seen no science to back up such claims and I have looked. Don't get caught up in tales trying gain more buds, shortening flowering times or whatever your trying to do.

freak420

24h darkness = stress the plants, Long time in the darkness- the only thing - Chlorophyll Production goes down (1week darkness all plants yellow and grow roots everywhere!)

DONT make those shitty things like 36h darkness or sumthin

No more Crop no more trichomes.. nothing.. only deseases and bla..

sry 4 my bad english 2 stoned

DrFever

Veteran
I love Threads like this hahaha and seen many 24 hours , 48 hours, 72 hours off before flipping to flower.
Where do people get these things from :) anyway's here is my thought on this subject.
growers that grow indoor try to mimic mother nature as best as they can in order to have good results, Where on earth is it 24 hour lighting other then the poles ??? or opposite darkness , and really nothing grows there on the poles right.
So to give plants 24, 48 hours of darkness prior to 12 / 12 is only stopping growth that would of occurred. don't mess with this just flip to 12 / 12 and be done with it, Won't make a bit of difference its the shortage of light hours that trigger flowering phase all to do with the light being plant is photosynthetic response to light not darkness

kez

Hi every1 sum top advice here......señor sloth ......get a grip pickle dick.....just chill......it's tread it's not ur life.......lbitch

shawkmon

Pleasantly dissociated
Veteran
its funny how you guys put something down but never tried it yourself, " only researched it" , ive done it myself many times , and ive just changed the timer also, and i saw with my eyes that the extra dark helps start the internal clock or plants decision to flower faster,

like the myth that frost kills plants , lolol, ive had plants frozen solid as a motherfucker, thaw out and finish like normal , so all you fags that chimed in with no experience pls dont post unless ya tried it ok

izzybud

lol is it necessary to call someone a derogatory remark to get ur point across? apparently for u it is. the sad thing is you have no scientific proof. now by all means if they have a botany book that explains the benefits it might be worth READING. but ive never seen the sun "go out" for 24-36-48 hours. have you?

on another note. y call people names? you clearly wouldnt speak in that manner to someone you dont know in person would you? let me guess tough guy you "would" huh? lol

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
personally i find it DOES cut about a week off the flowering time due to that first week....

Depending on the strain.... I've seen either nothing or a big improvement in flowering time.

Most notable was a Skunk #1 clone I picked up in L.A. 24hrs of dark and it would be spitting white hairs by day 4. Normal switch to 12/12 would take 8 days to do the same thing.

The more sativa (or longer flowering) the strain, the less noticeable the effect is.

Everyone talking out their butts with no/limited experience... :moon: :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

FEDOR24

I have tried the 24hr darkness before the flip and have noticed that most hybrids and indicas start flowering almost immediately after the first 1 or 2 12/12 cycles. Without the 24hr dark period the onset of flowering takes 1-2 weeks. My malawi and haze plants don't react at all. I know it does not seem "natural" but neither is going from 18hr to 12 hours of light in a single day. I don't know anywhere in nature where this happens but most people here advocate it. We try to mimic natural growing conditions indoors but we all manipulate the conditions to arrive at a goal that we desire. Give it a try on a couple plants and see for yourself. Good luck..

i have to agree, the first pistils usually show within that first week versus the usual week and a half.

you folks would know better than I with sativa's... i mainly run sativa/indica hybrids or 8 week indica's.

B

bajangreen

lol is it necessary to call someone a derogatory remark to get ur point across? apparently for u it is. the sad thing is you have no scientific proof. now by all means if they have a botany book that explains the benefits it might be worth READING. but ive never seen the sun "go out" for 24-36-48 hours. have you?

on another note. y call people names? you clearly wouldnt speak in that manner to someone you dont know in person would you? let me guess tough guy you "would" huh? lol

I don't want to get into the Ego show or what ever,

But izzybud you made a statement i want you to think about, you said you never seen the sun go out for 24-36-48 hours this is true, me neither, but i never seen the sun up for 18 hours (live in the tropics its 12.5>11.5 hours for me)or seen the photo-period change from 18/6 to 12/12 over night, in nature that process takes weeks. but this is standard practice in indoor MJ growing. flipping photo-periods. My point is that because something doesn't happen in nature does not mean that we cant take advantage of a plants response to it. So don't close your mind so fast.

Not saying the other guys right either.