What's new

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Booyakasha, I will get some weights tonight guys and thanks for the inputs. I haven't smoked any yet - I'm a connoisseur, haha, it's gotta be cured some! :cool:

Will harvest plant #4 tonight probably, and then the last one still has a ways to go.

There's a pest on the last one - some kind of tiny hard black blob on the stem with a patch of small black ants gathered around it. I'll post pics at some point. Cheers :)

ScrubNinja

Veteran
There's a pest on the last one - some kind of tiny hard black blob on the stem with a patch of small black ants gathered around it. I'll post pics at some point. Cheers :)

Well here it is - I think it's some kind of coccoon or casing? It looked soft but it was quite hard, and stuck quite well to the branch. I kind of lost it as I pulled it off, it was tiny. Those ants are the tiny black/brown ones. I could only see the one "blob" on a lower branch and most of the ants were around it. There is also those smaller yellowy sort of blobby looking things around the area. I scraped them off with my fingers and they sort of flake off.

Leaving only one question - what is it? :tumbleweed:

I got 21.7 g's from the first three plants. Might pull #4 tonight. Peace.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yeah wow! Thanks a LOT Cheese! That looks like what I have! Wow, seems pretty heavy so I will dab any sign of them with alcohol (methylated spirits) tonight when the lights come on. Mega thanks for the quick answer :respect:

I may pull both plants tonight and dry them outside in light of this happening. Won't bother revegging them.

PK is doing not too bad btw.

oldbootz

Veteran
motherfuckers !!! thats what i got like 2-3 weeks ago... those blobs are the eggs and the little scale crawlers come out of that when its ready to hatch .... dammit i hate freakin pests now i have those and mites to worry about........ never ending pain of insects

thanks cheese i didnt know what they were before you linked those pages, i was just observing them carefully.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
The strangest bit is if you search the infirmary there is ONE thread that even mentions scale, and it's Cheese's from today or yesterday. It's like there's a worldwide epidemic of scale!!!

onoz.gif

:hide:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Well they are all chopped now!

#4 on left, #5 on right

DSCF3998.JPG

Scraggly bastids. My training plan didn't work at all like I wanted.

I'll probably let this thread die off when these are dried/weighed and start a new thread when everything is in full swing and grown/revegged. It's been epic, for real. Don't worry Hydrosun, I'll keep you up to speed on how the baby is developing in the meantime :)

Like this:

:smoweed:
(and eat cannabutter)

mad librettist

Veteran
Scale - treat it almost the same. Again these are moderately easy pests according to most guides. Try regular oil and soap, then neem oil, and if those don't work start using pyrethrin (or tobacco if boiled might be worth a shot).

Scrub, I doubt predators would work for you as long as you have those ants. The ants will kick the shit out of the predators.

Check maryjohn's neem oil secret in the organic section (EDIT: it's been hidden by mods, but cached on google. He gave a recipe too heavy on soap for most cases anyway. I'll make a new one) to see how to prepare raw oils for spraying. And make a boric acid/honey trap to keep around for the ants always. Put a bait laced cotton ball inside an old spice jar with holes in the lid. leave those everywhere, even outside around your home. I use them to fight ants trying to take over territory in the garden. The fuckers will actually cut down all my seedlings in an area to make room for the nest. Not in my garden!

hope that helps!

from http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7408.html

Inspect plants to determine whether female scales, nymphs, honeydew, or sooty mold are present. When assessing whether scales or their damage are abundant enough to prompt you to manage them, distinguish live scales from dead or parasitized ones by flipping over the female scale body or cover using a sharp tool. The dead scales from previous generations can remain on plants, and sometimes a large proportion of scales are dead or parasitized by natural enemies. During the growing season, inspect trunks for ants. If the descending ants have swollen, almost translucent abdomens, they are probably feeding on honeydew produced by scales or other insects that suck plant juices. Tracing back trail-making ants can lead you to colonies of the honeydew-producing insects.

Tape traps for crawlers discussed in the Foliage Sprays section and honeydew monitoring are useful in certain situations. Honeydew dropping from plants can be efficiently monitored using water-sensitive paper, which is commonly used for monitoring insecticide droplets and calibrating sprayers. Products include bright yellow cards that produce distinct blue dots upon contact with honeydew or water. Regularly monitoring honeydew beneath plants (such as the number of drops during four hours, once a week) can help to develop thresholds and evaluate effectiveness of the treatment. Honeydew monitoring is useful where there is a low tolerance for dripping honeydew, when managing many trees (such as along city streets or in parks), and on tall trees where the honeydew-producing insects may be located too high to easily observe. For more information on monitoring honeydew, see the Aphids section in Pests of Landscape Trees and Shrubs listed in References.

It's hard to get rid of those fuckers from a Tetranychus family. They love high humidity and high temperature.

In my experience and from study, spidermites prefer dry conditions. And they are easy to control. Try squash bugs sometime! Or vine-borers. Ack!

The key to controlling mites is using their life cycle against them. A control schedule is required, which you can set by observing to figure out their life cycle in your grow, or just guess 3 days for hot, 5 days for less hot temps. You can't just do it willy-nilly. Set reminders on your computer or calendar, and stick to the schedule. Missing just one application puts you back at square one.

Now you need to spray something like an oil (neem oil works but save it for tough to beat colonies), or just plain soap. If your temps are like scrubs right now, you need to do it every 3 days for 2 weeks at least. In between treatments, you can mist your soil and canopy to keep things moist.

Spidermites hate moist conditions. I get them in winter, when indoor humidity plummets. Once you have control, remove as many affected leaves as you can, or mark them. You want to watch the bottom leaves especially for the second round or third round. Look for the white spots.

Last edited:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Thanks dude although seriously guys, why all the spider mite info? I'm not seeing the relevance at all.

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Damn bro they still look good from over down here, betcha she be real nice smoke. Got a good pile of Dyna x PD f2s to play with, so stoked I really like this smoke, so smooth yet strong and a good mood lifter as well as helps with my chronic back pain :biggrin: Can't wait to run about 10 plants of this :smokeit: also the KQR finally fucking landed :dance013: can't wait to get this strain going, Camelot Kush and DSD on the way too :yay: it's going to be a good year for pheno hunting of keeper mums :biggrin:
Be a shame too let this thread close bro, it's been an awesome trip for sure :smokey:, here's hoping ya let me hang and troll up some pics in ya new one :whistling: :hide:
Peace Bruz.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Ahhhh no worries ironcell! I thought I had spidermites for a while there! :D

Boom, haha, always welcome to bro! I am honoured you would post here or the new one. That's great the mail came through! Yeah I'll tuck into this tomorrow - it's smelling nice in the jars. Going to make some more butter with the trim and some Pure buds. I still have a pile of Pure jarred up.

I'll try to clean out and sterilize the cupboard tomorrow and veg in there. I still have all this glycerine sitting around too - I may as well use it I guess but I've gone off the idea of glycerine tincture. I should have researched it more :dunno:

mad librettist

Veteran
Thanks dude although seriously guys, why all the spider mite info? I'm not seeing the relevance at all.

This is the burden of being popular scrub. :dunno:

I should have talked about scale first, you're right. (he's getting sensitive!)

I reordered the post to talk about scale first. lol

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha, I think it was just a grumpy moment between butter dosages - I had to ration down. No need to go editing but thanks. Ya know, I've never heard of anyone in this area getting spider mites. Just lucky I guess. I think if I got infested, I would spring for a co2 setup. I suspect it would be great for controlling a whole lot of above ground pests. Anything that breathes oxygen, at a guess. :chin: Plus you can use it for the grow itself.

Hey so when you activate the EM in a plastic bottle, you never let the pressure out until it's finished? :eek: I've been cracking the lid a little and squeezing the air out anytime it gets full. I try to do it in one smooth motion so air is only travelling out of the bottle, not in. And I've been doing that 3 or 4 times per brew. Should I just not do that? Cheers.

superpedro

Veteran
OMG Haven't seen "the blob" pest before - looks freaky. Burn your house and run, be aware of crocodiles, snakes, spiders on your way to the airport. Australia is the country assigned to give nature it's revenge on people.
:D

Nice harvest!

mad librettist

Veteran
Hey so when you activate the EM in a plastic bottle, you never let the pressure out until it's finished? :eek: I've been cracking the lid a little and squeezing the air out anytime it gets full. I try to do it in one smooth motion so air is only travelling out of the bottle, not in. And I've been doing that 3 or 4 times per brew. Should I just not do that? Cheers.

I do the same thing you do scrub... :dunno: do the same thing?

You know hard a soda bottle is at the store? They can take more than that. That's why they are great for bottle fermented beer. So if you leave enough headspace you are good. Little bit of air won't hurt, according to the secret ninja advanced brewing guide pdf I had to pay for.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Ah thanks, I think I have less air space - maybe that's what's freaking me out. I do 1.1 litres in a 1.25 litre bottle. I looked up the PDF but I think I will pass on it for now, being a nooby and financially challenged.

Heh Pedro, I've had it before outdoors I think, but it never took over. My friend just mentioned he's had it before but I forgot to ask what he did about it or if it was a problem. I discarded that plant and haven't seen any sign of them on the others so I'm hoping it's not a problem I have to deal with. :)

*cue massive Scale outbreak* :whistling:

Latest posts

Latest posts