What's new

220w pl-l coco scrog cupboard

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Hey Strangely! I think I worked it out, man. It just came unlevel, it had all sorts of dodgy propping implements - tent pegs, wood, bits of folded carpet, plastic conatainers... Anyway, I plonked it back in tonight after changing bulb and got her a lot better. It does penetrate quite well out the edges, as long as the bud isn't above the shade angle. It's starting to foxtail a bit on the tallest buds, I think due to the heat like you say. It gets up to 85º occasionally, and today the rh was also 85. By the way that is with the thermal thing tucked up in the dark gap beside the hood and the front bit with the sticker. I don't measure the heat at bud height because it would just make me sad. But I keep the tallest ones pretty much touching, and some of them grow up between the bulbs - these foxtailed first.

Thanks Cork, you should see it now man :cool: Behold!

picture.php

(the lighter is in the low patch.)

picture.php
picture.php

Giving her a flush with molasses and biobugs tonight. Here is what I rigged up since I repotted the Leda Unos:

picture.php

I may not have room for the vertical scrog thing. :chin: but I am just happy to finally have my groove on with seedlings now! Remember all that shit back at the start? Jiffy pots saved the day!

:smoweed:

Oh I have some pics of it from every angle, I'll resize later. It smelt pretty rank'n'dank. Like skunk vomit, lol. Can't get enough of that skunk vomit!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
hahahah I thought I was funny making my DIY air pot I never showed it though lol I tried with a 18oz party cup a lighter and phillips screw driver hahaha I'll post a pic later if I find it of course I never used it cuz I kept fucking up on em and burning holes in the cup haha

Helis

Scrub I like the looks of the results you are getting with your DIY airpots and may have to try doing an Airpot/Hempy redux once I am starting from clone. Would be interesting to see a side-by side of this sort of change, I know it would definitely help establish a "smarter" root system in my 20oz containers. I'm gonna have to pull up a chair and watch how they do for you.

You have quite a wonderful setup going and I am inspired by your PL-L pulls. Lighting is on my list of things to revise once a few cycles are finished and these look like a seriously viable option.

Also I love Jiffy pucks, though I suppose mine are coir not peat. I don't know if there is a vernacular difference as to what "jiffy pucks" are made of but that's that. Mine are from Burpee, they come with a dome and I tend to soak mine in HOT ph'd water with veg ferts not exceeding 100 µs/70ppm.7 (EC of water not included) and my seedlings love life with very little other than ph'd water for 2 weeks.

Mmm, skunk vomit.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Hey bro I never answered you properly. This is what will happen: :D

picture.php
picture.php

There's those two showing so far :woohoo: You can see them dieing/browning. Pretty quick eh! So now since those ones can't grow further, more get shot out from the plant. It's a similar concept to pinching/tipping a plant - it gets thicker and bushier. Normally those roots would be on their way to circling at this point. If you ever used jiffy style pots, or even used a hessian bag as a pot outside, you've enjoyed the benefits of air pruning. The Ledas had mad thick root prunage in the jiffies. Oh that's another thing - you can just use net pots too.

I now have 5 Leda's in diy airpots that size and dosed up with biobugs :pimp3: Gotta rearrange the lights now - things got busy!

That's awesome! Congrats I didn't notice this pic earlier, I had a air pot come apart when rotating I guess I didn't fasten it proper on that one but I took pics of the root system at 5 days of flowering be sure to check it out :joint: Nice buds by the way those are some frosty lil fuckers and look like they are getting chunky! What do you think you harvest is going to be?

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Scrub:-
I may not have room for the vertical scrog thing. but I am just happy to finally have my groove on with seedlings now! Remember all that shit back at the start? Jiffy pots saved the day!
:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:
Looking sweet as bruz.
Happy Gardening All.
Peace

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Helis, nice system. Yeah I think a big part of my problem also was feeding when they're seedlings. They would take so long to dry out that if they needed feeding, I couldn't give it to them. Now my soil pots and system is more like a hydro system :D The jiffy things are (probably an oz product) Mr Fothergill's Jiffy-7 Peat Pellets. Minimum 50% sphagnum peat, wood fibre and lime. Sounds terrible to me but it works! I saw a diy on here about making your own coco pucks, may do that one day. Self sufficiency :)

Thund, haha that's funny, man. I'd love to see your diy, I can picture you angling the pots just right when taking pictures so noone would see your freaky handywork, haha! and I'll check out those roots - awesome.

I'm no good with yields, lol. When I had that 18ozer outside (it looked much like this but 1m x 1m) me and my pal were looking at it asking this same question and we guessed like 6 - 8 oz, maybe 10 if we're way off...and it ended as 18 :D So shit bro, I'm just gonna play it low and say 3, but could be 4 or more, I'm no good at guessing! It has another 25 days to what would normally be harvest, so I guess it'll fatten up a bit :woohoo:

Boom, big up yo'self! :rasta:

Here's those pics from the angles you don't get to see normally:

This is looking from the fan side:
picture.php

This is looking from the rear: (was hungry, sorry!)
picture.php

Everyone likes a closeup of the rear:
picture.php

This is looking from the right side of cab:
picture.php

I woke up in a really good mood :yeahthats

b00m

~No Guts~ ~No Glory~
Mentor
Veteran
Put me down for 5 oz harvest total, most of your nugs look (to me) like they will be at least between 8 -12 grams each dry, then look at how many top cola nugs you have bro then it's simple maths :woohoo:
Youse is going to have a bumper harvest off 1 plant. :nanana: You little fucking ripper. Inspiring stuff broski.
Happy Gardening All.
Peace.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
OOOOOOOOOO I so wanna thouse buds to try. Ill trade u buds at the christmas office party. lol lol

that plant looks jucy jays....

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha cheese! Yeah looking fantastic I must say! When I plugged in the 10,000k bulb all the buds under it got that bright green vibrant look of your buds instead of the normal dark green I get. It looks very nice in there now.

Here is my chilli plant if you remember - I LSTd it a while back:

picture.php
picture.php

I have tomatoes forming on my big trees. I also have a dr bud style tomato in a 1 litre pot the same size as my diy APs. It must be close to 2.5' tall! Gotta get pics of it :)

R

riverrat7

Hey ScrubNinja. The pure is looking better every update. Not much resemblance to a cfl grow there. Cross our fingers for a good yield. Nice bruz. Also cant wait too see how the leda uno's do. Whats the plan for them?

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Hey RR! No idea bro. I have 15 seedlings all up of the 2 strains, and once I take out the carbon filter, I can fit them all in those 950ml diy air pots. Hoping I can get them sexed, then pot up and veg a little more, then hopefully the cupboard will be free. Next grow might be a sog by neccessity, hehe.

Rapscallion Lad

Gday Ninja... I followed the link in your signature from the post you left on my Aussie Blue thread.

Shit me!!! This micro-cab is soooo f'n cool!!!! ... I just read thru and my jaw dropped lower and lower with each page!!!

Now Im totally inspired... I did my first grow (last season) in a wardrobe (see pics)... and looking back at it now, it was a total hack job!!! I didnt know what the crap I was doing (still dont :rolleyes:). I had a 600W HPS in that wardrobe and nearly burned my house down!!! :wallbash:
So then I swapped over to a 250 MH and that did the job. I did manage to get a bagfull of seed off 3 plants, which is what i set out to do :)

I still have the 250 MH, with an airflow tube reflector... do you reckon that would work in a small cabinet like you constructed here? Or would it be too hot or something???

Cheers for the informative thread!!! Im off to Bunnings!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
G'day Lad! Thanks for such a cool post :) Glad my little old cupboard caused that reaction!

I was thinking of throwing a 250 hps in a cooltube in this cupboard and my hid pal said it should work, so I can only say: Go for it!! I would probably only run it in winter but I don't really know.

To be honest though, I'd probably feel a bit safer with a smaller bulb/s and using CFLs or PLLs as supplementary lighting so if it gets too hot, it's sort of adjustable. 250 is pushing it in this size cab, from what I read. But where there's a will... Bit of a hassle finding >250w hps here too.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Ok Scrub, the root dies, we get it!

Ok Scrub, the root dies, we get it!

picture.php

Am I allowed to eat my soil?

picture.php

grow1620

Man those buds are looking awesome, and that pepper plant kicks ass....I wish I liked peppers...let's see that tomato!

superpedro

Veteran
Thanks man, you mean baby cab? Yeah it rocks! It looks tiny and square in those pics but it's quite roomy and rectangular. 4.3 sq ft (!) and 80cm high.

It's a good reason!

I got some BioBugs today, I didn't have my scales so I had to guess 0.05 grams :yoinks:

Hey Scrubs, always something cool to show us.:woohoo:
Thats some nice frosty bud's you got there!
Is that a 10.000K bulb placed in the front? Looks like the color of one I use on a saltwater aquarium setup :)

BioBugs rules :)
Bio products have changed the environment where I work. We rarely need anything nasty to deal with pests. Another new thing is fighting mold and mildew with UV-c protection. I'm building a small handheld lamp for my own plants, to protect against bud root. :)

See ya!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Pedro, awesome dude! Yeah, I'm fully on the living soil/microbe/fungal bandwagon :cool: I still haven't activated any EM but I'll get there. I wish I had a microscope.

I'm trying to find out the exact strains of stuff the Biobugs has in it but can't find much other than several species of trichoderma and plenty of other good stuff and enzymes which remain unnamed for now. I think I finally found a source of worm castings too. I looked under W in the yellow pages, who knew? :biglaugh:

Yup that's an aquarium bulb - nothing special but I takes what I can gets! It's a Catalina 10,000k. They have the charts on the box for the other bulbs and the ultra-actinic looks interesting. Are you familiar with the actinic bulbs? Lots of blue, little green and red. Your uv-c thing sounds very cool. Hope it works :yes: How long/often do you think you would you have to shine it over your buds?

Grow, here is my tomato. It's not actual dr bud style, it just looks it.

picture.php

Here's some tomatoes on the main plants in big pots, what is the black rot stuff? Anyone know? Only one fruit had it. There's also little black mite-like spots appearing on leaves - gah!!!!

picture.php
picture.php

Also, I'm almost certain that the "perlite" stuff I had was beneficial stuff from the organics, lol. Check this out:

picture.php

:abduct:

superpedro

Veteran
Hey scrubs.
The black spot on your tomato is caused by unbalance with the calcium uptake, it's pretty common. The problem often shows at temps above 26 degrees C, not enough/too much water(tomato dosn't like to dry out like canna does during fruit development) and to much N.

Don't know that brand of light, I'll look it up. :)

Cheers!

Edit: Found an english term for your tomato syndrome: "Blossom End Rot"

hilbie

hey scrub sorry if i got in your face before, your harvest looks terrific, i remember your last 250cfl grow in the same cab i believe, u have the magic touch, would be great to get a weight in, but i respect if your just not bothered to do it, nice to see u maxing out the potential of your cabs space, great grow and i hope u enjoy your sweet tastein organi nuggs to the fullest. :joint:

i think those 5k bulbs are like the floro version of a cmh bulb, reds n blues, weight + frost

DankHank

you guys call these bulbs pl-l? arent these power compacts? i have used hps, twist t-5-t12 and 42w-23wcfls and these power compacts are way better and throw out so much more light and come with options of throwing in a MH bulb/LEDs etc.

i got a 36" dual bulb setup
Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 1 x 96 watt
Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 1 x 96 watt
No. of Switches: 2
Fan: Yes
Lunar Light Moon White LED : 1
Product Dimensions : 36.75" x 7.25" x 2.5"
Total Watts : 192 watt