What's new

205w LED vs 400w HID Let the battle begin!

LEDGirl

Veteran
Now, IMHO, a 400 is far from a good choice as at best you're looking at 50K lumens, whereas a 600 outputs 90K lumens, which is closer to the ideal spectrum our girls thrive on.

I think you are mistaken here Pet, as an increase in lumens doesn't change the spectral output of the bulb. A HPS from Hortilux (regardless of wattage) emits the same spectrum as the next, the only difference is how much light it puts out in that spectrum. So perhaps you meant "the ideal intensity", but even then you're going to have a very hard time coming up with any data to support your claim. Plenty of people do amazing things with 250W and 400W HPS lights. Take VerdantGreen for example...

Maybe a 205 is not sufficient to compare to a top-of-the-line 600, but whatever wattage LED that is, is the LED v HID/HPS test I want to see.

It's rated to compare to a 400W HID, although for some our 205W could likely replace their 600W HID. Either way, if there is a test you want to see (if you feel this one isn't good enough), then DO IT! Don't just sit around and complain waiting for someone else to take up the cause. It's not like you weren't talking with me about getting LED's in the past, but because I wouldn't go as cheap as your eBay UFO you went elsewhere... It's easy to see via our side by side grow comparisons, that when purchasing a LED you get what you pay for, or we wouldn't have smashed Haight Solid State, beaten ProSource, or made HIDHut look underdeveloped... So please stop the speculation unless you're going to "put your money where your mouth is" and show us the grow you want to see with the lights you want to test.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
When the bulb, hood, and ballast are not top of the line. There is as 20-30% light gain just having the best hood, and ballast to go along with the best bulb, which may be a 10-20% increase as well. Add all that up and maybe the comparison shots from today (4/27) would be a lot closer.

I looked on the first page here, but did not see where the bulb, hood, or ballast were referenced.

If your assuming I am using some noname equipment with a crap bulb your mistaken.

I am using a pro ultralight hood with a 400w agrosun gold bulb using a sunsystem 400w switchable ballast. IMHO its a good bulb for this comparison. Come flower I will be switching the bulb out and running a 400w hps hortilux bulb for flower.

The way I see it the LEDS holding its own against one of my favorite bulbs, I dont know how you feel but for veg I think the agrosun gold bulbs are top of the food chain for HID bulbs. I prefer it over hortilux for veg.

For me its always been ideal to veg under MH with agrosun gold bulbs and switch to hps with hortilux bulb for flower. In no way shape or form would it be fair to compare a 600w hps to a 183w LED light, thats over 3x the output wattage of this LED and to me that would be very unfair.

I'm just as impressed as you guys with the results of the LEDS so far. I mean it's obvious at this point the older bulb used at the start didn't really change anything, If it did we would have seen the HID side catch back up this past couple weeks. Clearly replacing the bulb has not made the plants start growing faster. Which means the older bulb wasnt really a problem.

The fact is the 205w hydro gro LED light is spanking a 400w HID with agrosun gold bulb. Suprising as it may be It's a fair and honest outcome. I'm not doing this grow to make LEDGirls lights look good or bad, I am merely putting on a fair test grow and thats the bottom line.

If this isnt the outcome some expected well all I can say is neither did I but it is what it is, I honestly never thought the LEDS were bad, But I sure didnt expect it to be surpassing the 400w HID with the agrosun gold bulb. I'm as blown away as anyone else, maybe even more because I know this is a fair trial.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
Wow... I'm impressed. This may be the most convincing argument for LED that I've seen... and they haven't even started flowering! :yes:

picture.php

+5 weeks
picture.php

lipsmcgee

Wow, all I've got to say is Wow! If a 205w Led even makes half as much dried bud as a 400 watt hps then it's already a better choice , cause of less heat , less power usage. The fact that it's keeping up or surpassing hid growth is awesome! I'll have to wait for prices to come down a bit though. I wish I had a little savings somewhere, I'd probably go for the next step up (325watts? something like that). Well, I'm mighty impressed.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Wow... I'm impressed. This may be the most convincing argument for LED that I've seen... and they haven't even started flowering! :yes:

Yeah those little yellow unhealthy clones come a long way lol...

I'm impressed myself man, I was not expecting this outcome when I started this grow.

MeanBean

Just to chime in here,

I got my 80 CFM 4" inline fan hooked up to a "Dial-A-Temp" fan control and it's the whole way down, cabs sitting at 72 with 3 led pannels on. I'd like to turn it down a bit more so it would get hotter in there buuut seriously; LED's make Stealth grows a reality. Not the old "cover noise" deal.....

Even if you grow with a 1000 Watt Bulb 1 or 2 led panels can Easily replace that and still be vented with the same 4" inline pipe as me! Then your grow will kinda sound like aahhhh????? nothing.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
Just to chime in here,

I got my 80 CFM 4" inline fan hooked up to a "Dial-A-Temp" fan control and it's the whole way down, cabs sitting at 72 with 3 led pannels on. I'd like to turn it down a bit more so it would get hotter in there buuut seriously; LED's make Stealth grows a reality. Not the old "cover noise" deal.....

Even if you grow with a 1000 Watt Bulb 1 or 2 led panels can Easily replace that and still be vented with the same 4" inline pipe as me! Then your grow will kinda sound like aahhhh????? nothing.

Yeah I know it cost me a fortune and lot of work to get my 2k perpetual silent from outside the room, It's silent outside but sounds like a jet engine inside!

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
probably shouldnt start the thread out saying the LEDs were broken....

Why not? It's a small part of a completely honest review of the product, and the customer service regarding the matter was top notch. It was a simple fix, and the product is performing fantastically.

blazeoneup

The Helpful One
Chat Moderator
Veteran
probably shouldnt start the thread out saying the LEDs were broken....

Well I know your not being a hater or any of that just posting your opinion and I have no problems with that at all.

However I dont see eye to eye with you on that subject, I believe I should have posted that, I was posting my experience as a whole, I done a simple product review and also a customer service review and posted my experience in full.

I believe in being honest and upfront about my experience with hydro gro and their 205w LED unit and all my grows on here, What's to lie about? People don't want to see lies and cover ups they want honest unbiased opinions and experience.

I intend to keep everything in the open here nothing to hide. However I appreciate your post and respect your opinion and appreciate you respecting mine.

DIGITALHIPPY

Veteran
Well I know your not being a hater or any of that just posting your opinion and I have no problems with that at all.

However I dont see eye to eye with you on that subject, I believe I should have posted that, I was posting my experience as a whole, I done a simple product review and also a customer service review and posted my experience in full.

I believe in being honest and upfront about my experience with hydro gro and their 205w LED unit and all my grows on here, What's to lie about? People don't want to see lies and cover ups they want honest unbiased opinions and experience.

I intend to keep everything in the open here nothing to hide. However I appreciate your post and respect your opinion and appreciate you respecting mine.

i think you misunderstood me.

im not saying lie, or DONT say it was broken.
all im thinking is "hi this is my led vs 400w grow, my leds were broken, so they fixed it real fast before i could start"
isnt exactly the best intro.

maybe state the mission/goals of the grow. review the equipment,
inventory the greenies, then mention there was a mis-hap with the LED's
its also good to see the manufacturer support there product.
ive had alot of issues with equipment(not just grow) and am willing to spend more for a better supported product.

im still digging this, one of the best threads ive seen in a while.
your straightforward with the test and im utterly amazed with the LED's sofar.

Last edited:

lokes

~Pollinator~
Veteran
Blaze, just came back to the boards a week ago. Nice to see you're still putting it down with style and class. Bravo!

Can't wait to see the flower period.

kava

Blaze I would like to say that you are doing a bang up job and the progress is great. The whole thing is so good to see and someone that is honest and up front is uplifting. I am glad that you also find it is doing better then you thought it would. I am glad to be able to take in you how you see it from you expierances with other grows. Thank you and rock on

Cali_Boss

Hell yeah, thats what i call a solid stoner experiment. great experiment, especially since im looking into getting an LED for stealth closet grows. good to know they can keep up with the big dogs.

icdude

if ledgirl gave you bad service it was probably because your a dick..

Shes answered multiple of my pm's and posts within hours if not that day. Shipping was on time and ive never had a problem. Personally i dont know her, but i do know that shes a legitimate provider of a legit product.

GrnMtnGrwr

Veteran
i can say the least for LEDgirls service skills.
what a bitch. i wont buy from them, and recomend you not to aswell.

I have had a lot of exchanges with her, and I have found the complete opposite. She has been happy to answer all questions, in a very timely fashion. She has to deal with the multitude of idiotic LED haters that can't be bothered to do some actual research and look into the product they continuously talk shit about.

Damn, I want me an LED. I have had some heated debates about LEDs being better than HID...and I still stand my ground when I say LEDs Rule. They are the future....Nuff said!!

Yo you seriously need to check yourself Bro. That was not Cool at all, to speak that way about someone that you don't even know personally.

You should be thanking her for taking the time to open the closed minds that patrol these forums..

Even in the face of ignorant people like yourself she maintains her composure and answers pretty much every question thrown her way. When I buy an LED within the next few months, I will surely buy hers...

Anyone that can stand up to morons like you, is worthy of my business...

LEDgirl is awesome...Nuff said!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Latest posts