What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2015 on the Chernozem - Panama, Zamaldelica, Thai, Nepal Jam, Sweet Tooth, Stardawg

yoss33

Veteran
Thank you for the nice words, people!

Pragma, I'll leave the Stardawg untopped - it needs to be tall because of the tall grasses growing around it. And besides, I like to see the natural structure of the strains, they all look the same when trained as a bush.

Gemuse, I like your description of Nepal Jam. It seems liked by everybody for its warm smooth high, that's why I took the chance to try it, thanks for re-assuring my expectations.

yoss33

Veteran
A quick weekly update:

Panama #4
picture.php

Panama #5
picture.php

Zamaldelicas
picture.php

Thai
picture.php

The SSSDH cut, which will be transplanted outdoors soon
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The indicas in the bush:
picture.php

And from a little closer,

Nepal Jam
picture.php

Sweet Tooth #3
picture.php

Stardawg
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
Here comes the slightly-delayed weekly update.

I removed P#5 and Zam#2 from the Panamas+Zams plot because of safety reasons - I want 2 plants at most at that place. The spot is 2 meters away from my property but within the fence surrounding the property because the fence is not correctly placed. So, now I have 3 plants on my property, which is a more reasonable count than 5.
P#5 was transplanted near the ruins of a house in a neighbouring deserted property.
I initially inteneded to kill Zam #2, but after I unplugged it from the ground I felt pity for the beautiful plant which started smelling very tropical and sweet dying in my hands. And so I gave it a chance to survive - it was transplanted in the bushes nearby. Lets see if it will survive with almost no roots left.

Panama #4
picture.php

Panama #5
picture.php

By the way, my friend who gave me the Panama cuts now harvested his Panamas and gave me a small just-chopped bud from each of Panama #1, #4 and #5. I quickly dried the buds, tried them on a few occasions and decided to continue growing #4 and transplant #5 in the bushes. #5 actually had a more interesting high - more mental and thinking, but I need the Panama to mix with the Zamaldelica and Thai, which should be both mental enough. And so I selected #4, which has very clear, funny, easy and relaxed effect, too calm for my liking on its own, but perfect to mellow down trippy strains in a mix.

Zamaldelica #1, which had its roots eaten by something (mole or mole cricket, we have lots of both of them) and has its top drooping in the heats. I got scared when I saw it like this but the top restored its upright position in the evening.
picture.php

The Ojd's SSSDH, which got transplanted outdoors on the 12th of May in the bushes just outside my fence:
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
The Thai is picking up momentum. Huge leaves, rigid stems.
picture.php

It is attacked by all kinds of bugs, I can count at least 6-7 different types of bugs on it. I know the lady bugs are good and a very small black beetle is bad (chews on young leaves) but I have no idea if the other bugs are good or bad. Unfortunately, the plant is attacked by a stem borer that has dug into the main stem but it seems the plant is big enough to not mind the damage done to its fibers by the small caterpillar.
picture.php

A branch top:
picture.php

And here's a group shot of the Nepal Jam, Sweet Tooth and Stardawg. I don't want to step closer for better photos in order not to leave traces in the grasses.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
I had no intention to top Panama #4 (as well as any other of the plants) but oh, well, a stem borer thought otherwise - on my visit today I found P#4's top freshly chopped at a node roughly in the middle of the main stem. These pests seem hungrier this year.
picture.php

B

Baron Greenback

Wow, horrible little critter - has it done any lasting damage?

yoss33

Veteran
Yep, I didn't want to spray but I had to, as each of the sativas had at least 2 borers in it. P#4, Zam #1 and the Thai got sprayed with a pyrethroid mixed with worm castings extract. The indicas/hybrids in the bush seem fine from my fence. In order to go to them, I have to pass through nettles tall to my chest. So, they were not sprayed.

Wow, horrible little critter - has it done any lasting damage?
Well, the upper half of the plant is gone, but this will only slow it a bit and make it a bush. Christmas tree is better, but I won't return a bush, heh.

Here're Panama #4 and Zamaldelica #1:
picture.php

Panama #4 from closer:
picture.php

And from even closer, in the sunshine... I like the leaf shape of this plant, it looks much more like a proper Mexican sativa when grown outdoors. The mother of the clone had quite fatter hybrid-shaped leaves indoor.
picture.php

Zam #1, which has delicious tropical smell of the rubbed stem.
picture.php

Thai, which is like on steroids. It's just slightly taller than Zam#1 but has about 2-3 times its mass. Its fat but still young and flexible stems are sticky when rubbed. Smell is sweet, like some syrup made of pine resin.
picture.php

yoss33

Veteran
A group shot of the fatties in the bush:
picture.php

I like a lot the following photo of Nepal Jam's top. The top seems to be shaded most time of the day and I'll have to cut the branch of the plum tree above it. By the way, I've been smoking NepJam and Bangi Haze the last week, samples from indoor-grown 4 NepJams and 1 Bangi Haze gifted by my friend. Nepal Jam has nice smooth effect, which is relaxing yet fresh, clear and happy, especially on the longer-flowering phenos (Jamaican?). Effect is not as strong/heavy as Panama but both have a somewhat similar dreamy high. I liked a lot smoking half a joint of Nepal Jam on a sunny hot day in the garden, I relaxed on a chair and listened to the many birds with my eyes closed. Half an hour of perfect sunshine meditation.
picture.php

Sweet Tooth #3 from close:
picture.php

Stardawg, which has strange deformities making some of its leaves "rough". Is this some virus, I don't know, but the plant is in perfect health otherwise and seems to be outgrowing the 2 plants next to it.
picture.php

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Hi Yoss,

I'm in. Thanks for posting the link to your new grow on last year's grown. I'm subbed. Your grows are inspiring. Loving your choices.
:tiphat:

B.T.W., I'm glad you are trying Panama again. Many South American strains, and I'm thinking Colombians here, have what I call dreamy narcotic effects, but they do so without couch-lock effect. They are not my favorites, but I still like them. The thing that has attracted me to Panama are reports of euphoria and a "floaty" feeling. I have not had much experience with Panama, I believe I have tried Panama Red, but it didn't make a huge impression. I believe I was significantly drunk when I tried it. Someone gave me a joint on my birthday, which I lit and shared at a party. It wasn't a fair test. However, one can't discount the influence of Jamaican ganja in Central America, which is a highly energetic strain that I think you would like. Colombia and Jamaica used to be two main influences in Central American genetics. I hope the one you are growing has enough energetic vibe for your tastes.

I am currently growing Green Haze x Panama. Dubi says the Panama in this is the purple one that he likes, but considers it of the green Panama side. I believe he wrote "green/purple" in his note. It is also an amazingly aromatic plant. Like you described, I can't stop rubbing the stems and smelling my fingers. The aroma brings back good memories.

I don't think I need to say anything about what I think of Thai.
:biggrin:

Best of Luck this Year,

ThaiBliss

yoss33

Veteran
You are most welcome, man! :)
Haze x Panama sounds very interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on your progress and crossing fingers. Panama itself hasn't managed to impress me so far, it's too calm and dreamy, but otherwise is very nice. I guess the cross to Haze can bring great individuals that have the Haze high just slightly more dreamy.

And since you are here, I have the excuse to post more photos of the Thai plant, he he.
It's so vigorous that it's going to be the biggest plant that I've grown. But unfortunately it seems to not be prepared to be so big - its branches are not connected well to the main stem and today I found its first broken branch. We had some strong winds but this plant is still small and I can't imagine what support it will need when big and flowering in September. I fixed all bottom branches with strings to the main stem so that they can't fall away from it. We'll see if (or rather till when) this will be enough.

And now some Thai leaf madness..

A fan leaf that still hasn't stopped growing but I removed it for the shot and because it was in a dense spot, deformed between emerging branches.
picture.php

And a still very young leaf on a branch:
picture.php

Pragma

Throw a net around her maybe ?
Ive had the stardawg make crinkle leafs like that when the temperature shifts a lot but nothing bad should come of it.

Cheers

wingdings

Veteran
Should have some big ladies on your hands soon. Nice start yoss I'm excited to see what the season will bring you!

yoss33

Veteran
Thanks, wingdings! Indeed, a good start it is.

Throw a net around her maybe ?
Ive had the stardawg make crinkle leafs like that when the temperature shifts a lot but nothing bad should come of it.
Cheers
Hey, a net would be perfect, but it would attract too much attention as it is something unusual. I want this plant to look like a usual decorative bush when looked from far.

Here's a quick photo update from yesterday:

Panama #4
picture.php

picture.php

Panama #5
picture.php

BruceBanner

Superb! :)
I think that iron rod has much to do with plants thriving at that spot, so the plant can take amount of iron that she needs with a part of root system, what's not the case when you feed the plant with iron diluted in water, because then the whole root system is going to absorb it, and so you can overfeed, maybe I'm just talking jibberish but that came to my mind :)

Greetings from Futog- the green cabbage universe :D

yoss33

Veteran
Hey, Bruce, I have also pondered on whether and how much the plant can benefit from the iron rod. My soil has high pH - about 7.5, I have even measured up to 7.9 at that particular spot. At this high pH, it is said that plants have difficulty extracting iron from soil. Three years ago when I measured pH 7.9 at this spot, wondering why my Haze plant has only some of its branches yellowing, I poured a solution of FeSO4 and since then the pH has been about 7.5. So it looks there's still enough iron in the soil, but the iron rod won't hurt :)