What's new

2007 Oregon Guerrilla Outdoor, with BACKCOUNTRY

elevate

Hey BACKCOUNTRY - nice idea to post the last months weather totals... good luck with your water situation up there in oregon BC, I feel you down here in California....we of course will be experiencing a drought this summer as well. I couldn't find the measurement for may in my area... but the avergae is half an inch in may, which I doubt was reached this year. We will all find a way, we are guerrillas.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I made a run out to two plots this afternoon.....

HM#4

OR95-

C99xOR95, this is the plant that had some mutant leaves, it seems to have outgrown it-

OR95-

All and all, this plot seems to be doing well, despite this dry spring that has me worried, rain may be in the forcast, keeping my fingers crossed....

HM#5

This plot has been wiped out, only short stumps remain-

It seems to be the work of my old nemisis, the Woodrat(AKA Packrat). They usually don't attack this early, but I think our dry weather has them scrambling for tender morsels to eat on this dry hillside.
Whether this was the work of Rats or Humans doesn't matter, cuz I won't replant at this plot either way. Rats that start working on your plants this early are unstopable, I would have to build cages completely around the plants and deal with too much B.S. Its best I just avoid this spot in the future.

I hope to get 2 more HM plots planted, and maybe a few LM plots, I keep plugging away. Sure wish I could have done all this prep work in Winter, its just that the hills held snow more than usual this year. I mean damnit! Four times the snow we usually get in winter, and then BAM, freaking summer in May! LOL!!

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
Sorry to hear that BC. You aren't alone. Someone's been munching on a few of my plants, too.

My weather looks about the same as yours, pretty unique environments, except that here, if it rained in May or June, it would be a miracle.

Have fun out there and be safe.

NOKUY

Veteran
ok... how the fuk do i miss this thread?

k+ man ....makes my cab. look "boring" now.

just beautiful bro!

I'll be along for the ride for sho!

cyburnt

Hey Digs

Hey Digs

I sprayed all my girls down with some taste/odor deer repellent I got at home depot. I sprayed em before during and after they went outside plus used up a can of the granular repellent also.
Let me 1st say that I planted most of my guerrilla in a deer bed :yoinks: Only 3 casualties so far outta 27. Haven't checked in a few daze but I suspect the majority are OK. The interesting thing is, that when I first planted the deer actually dug up the plants but didn't eat them, kinda like they were pissed off or something. A couple died and a couple went back in the ground and made it, but as far as I know they havn't fucked with them since :sasmokin:

Last edited:

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey BACKCOUNTRY, sorry to see the rat damage, breaks your heart, no doubt after all that work.
Did you get those temp/rain figures from Weather Underground? I really dig that site, tip 'o the hat to you for turning me on to it. Couldn't figure out the monthly totals like you, but I'll never complain about hauling water when I see what you guys out west have to go thru. Global warming in affect?
Finished hauling out my last plants and soil thru the course of last night. Full moon didn't help, as I had rolling thunder and lightning to contend with. and rain :D
Be careful w/ those snakes! :respect:

Last edited:

Fast_Pine

BACKCOUNTRY said:
I will have to address and prepare for drought, oh fun!! :woohoo:
Maby its not too late to pull out the homelite and have some fun in the remote valleys pumping guerilla water:confused:..Are any of yer plots near enough to any streams already?

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
cyburnt said:
I sprayed all my girls down with some taste/odor deer repellent I got at home depot. I sprayed em before during and after they went outside plus used up a can of the granular repellent also.
Let me 1st say that I planted most of my guerrilla in a deer bed :yoinks: Only 3 casualties so far outta 27. Haven't checked in a few daze but I suspect the majority are OK. The interesting thing is, that when I first planted the deer actually dug up the plants but didn't eat them, kinda like they were pissed off or something. A couple died and a couple went back in the ground and made it, but as far as I know they havn't fucked with them since :sasmokin:

Thanks bro. I eyeball that stuff now and then, but it's just too expensive for my budget.
:pointlaugh:
I'd also like to buy some of that Noma stuff that infect grasshopper populations cuz I battle those bastards, too... but that stuff is like $25 and I'm too cheap.

Back to our regularly scheduled program... :bat:

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey BC , things are looking good for the most part. sad to come to a stump, its happened many times to me, all is fair game though with mother nature. were having a major problem with water this year as well. the streams that are usually rivers are gone. down to a muddy trickle. and its only going to get hotter.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Hey guys!
Good to see you found it nokuy!

First thing I have to say, this Rat situation is part of the reason you plant multiple plots in Guerrilla growing, so that when mother nature takes a swipe, you still have backup, besides, even if you don't sell it, its still good to have extra bud.
This plot was a unknown anyways, the plants were not sexed, and there were only 3 of them, it was a mild sting, no biggee!

Highlighter said:
Did you get those temp/rain figures from Weather Underground? I really dig that site, tip 'o the hat to you for turning me on to it. Couldn't figure out the monthly totals like you...
Hey man! Yes weather underground is the site. You can get to your weather totals by using the "History and Almanac" box on your areas weather page.
Start by entering a date in the date box...on the history screen select Daily, Weekly, Monthly ,or Custom date totals(for multiple months, or any custom history), enter the history you are looking for. There ya go!

Here is a link to Weather underground- Weather underground.com

Highlighter said:
....but I'll never complain about hauling water when I see what you guys out west have to go thru. Global warming in affect?...
Its not that abnormal for our weather to fluctuate alot, this kind of Spring happens like every 5 years, then we might have a cool wet summer. My climate doesn't need global warming to act weird, its all according to how the Pacific ocean is flowing that year.

Fast_Pine said:
Maby its not too late to pull out the homelite and have some fun in the remote valleys pumping guerilla water..Are any of yer plots near enough to any streams already?
Hey Fast pine. So far the temps are down enough so that occasisional light watering by hand is enough. The plan is to start setting up systems and resivours as soon as I plant the last 8 HM plants, the water supplies aren't gone yet, but it is time to get moving on it soon. For now, we have cooler, moister weather coming in to relieve the whole situation. It will be nice for the plants, and very nice for me, I still have a bit of hand and foot work to do in the hills, sweat man, sweat!!

WAMEN

Joint Date: Today.
Veteran
im sorry bro.. shit happens you know.. that is part of the sport we're praticeing.. :D

be well and good luck with the rest of the babes.. peace :wave:

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
Yep yep! Its OK! More where they came from, even just harvesting 1/4 of my plants this year should supply a good surplus over what I need, its all part of the stratagy.

I need to get over and see how you guys are doing WAMEN/esbe, see how things are in Europe.

BACKCOUNTRY

Veteran
I decided to plant 7 more babies at HM#3, I like its location and water supplies so I feel good about loading that plot up.
I also decided to try plastic Deer netting at this plot, and after installing it I was suprised at just how invisable it is. I want to work on tightening and shoring it up a bit, but it looks like it may be a winner, I have become aware of a better quality(heavier) plastic netting that I will use next time.

The bad news is it started raining as I was finishing digging the holes, so no pics of the changes, the good news is its raining!! We have already had nearly as much rain today as we had for all of May, needless to say, I'm feeling better about things.

HM#3 will probably be the plot to recieve the fully automated irrigation system, due to its size and availability of water. The rest I will experiment with other soaking systems, all will be visited often so I can monitor progress, and insure the systems work.

R

randude

You know if you could somehow attract snakes that may take care of the rats. That is why I said they were your friend. No rat in it's right mind would take up housekeeping in an area with snakes.
That deer bit sounds like the worst. If you are watering plants in the summer time they will be the only thing green to eat. I imagine lots of things wanting to chew on them. I have never done what you are doing so I can just dream about it. I love nature and what you do puts you in very intimate touch with it. Quite the workout too.
Great fun watching you grow, great reading.

Highlighter

ring that bell
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I also decided to try plastic Deer netting at this plot, and after installing it I was suprised at just how invisable it is. I want to work on tightening and shoring it up a bit, but it looks like it may be a winner, I have become aware of a better quality(heavier) plastic netting that I will use next time.
Yeah, I'm using the thin deer netting @ one plot, and it damn IS near invisible! You're supposed to put streamers on it so the deer CAN see it, but not a good idea for our type of gardening. :wink:
I have a fear of finding my plot trampled after a deer got entangled in that stuff!:biglaugh:
Peace, HL

Last edited:

PHL8T ME

'Hola BC, I just lost a Beautiful female seeds purple power plant to what I think is a rat or a rabbit. Yesterday I noticed a few branches chewed off, starting at the bottom of the plant. Today, all the other branches were chewed off and the main stalk was gnawed off about 8 inches up. This F%@$#'n stalk was almost 3/4 of an inch across. There were two other plants in pots along with this one, hiding alongside some maple trees-south facing of course-and the other plants were not touched. Thinking ahead, I moved them about 100 yards tpo a new location, hopefully that little bastard won't find them.

I FEEL your loss, but like you said 25% of whats put out harvested? That equals success!

Right on man, stay safe. Hay by the way, no one liked my other idea in the M W outdoors thread?

Fast_Pine

Highlighter said:
Yeah, I'm using the thin deer netting @ one plot, and it damn IS near invisible! You're supposed to put streamers on it so the deer CAN see it, but not a good idea for our type of gardening. :wink:
I have a fear of finding my plot trampled after a deer got entangled in that stuff!:biglaugh:
Peace, HL
I use deer netting too. Ive had deer and elk bust through the fences quite a fiew times, and its still very early in the season:confused:...

Latest posts

Latest posts