What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$200 DIY Greenhouse

Cappy

Wow bro, this thread has come a long way since last season. So has the greenhouse! Beautiful work and it's all paying off already. Love it.

I have an attached garage and we just stuck a 12' x 6' greenhouse coming off the garage door to the backyard. In addition to our raised bed cold frames, I think we're fully set for zone 5. Finally. Can't wait to put the greenhouse to use this fall. I can set a heater on my garage floor aiming into the greenhouse and not worry about condensation drips or anything.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks much Cappy...

on the condensation topic, i'm glad you mentioned it. after having my greenhouse operational for 9 months or so this is something i had not considered.

i am more than convinced in my zone i can run a couple of tent heaters on very cold nights or very cold streaks (that may last 2 or 3 nights or a couple days in a row) and grow cool weather plants (possibly our beloved plant also) all winter with little issues.

will have to prevent condensation from dripping into the heater as condensation occurs rather easily... especially since the coleman heaters i was looking into are open up top for water to drip in... wouldn't want to do that.

thanks for the headsup or at least the bringing up the topic so i can plan for winter :tiphat:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
cool FiD... glad to have helped inspire you... now build it !!! show the woman this thread !!! the link below also has a link to hail-proofing your GH. mine will need that where i live. had some hail last night, but i'm good...

here's another cool build link proved by dekab247...

http://www.albertahomegardening.com/how-to-build-an-inexpensive-hoop-style-greenhouse/

another home built hoop house ^^^

im gonna try and post pics of it when i get it up and running. went bumping around the garage and found some pvc 45's/T's/ELBOWS'S, enough to cover the 4x8 area that we are using for the garden.

gonna have to find a "water barrel" of some sort and will plumb the gutters water to it.

damned blackberry got chomped on by my 15month old so that slows down my pic taking tremendously!

Cappy

thanks much Cappy...

on the condensation topic, i'm glad you mentioned it. after having my greenhouse operational for 9 months or so this is something i had not considered.

i am more than convinced in my zone i can run a couple of tent heaters on very cold nights or very cold streaks (that may last 2 or 3 nights or a couple days in a row) and grow cool weather plants (possibly our beloved plant also) all winter with little issues.

will have to prevent condensation from dripping into the heater as condensation occurs rather easily... especially since the coleman heaters i was looking into are open up top for water to drip in... wouldn't want to do that.

thanks for the headsup or at least the bringing up the topic so i can plan for winter :tiphat:

Yeah buddy, I learned these lessons the hard way. Tried to heat my cold frames last year with a forced air element heater. Condensation took it out at the extention cord. So I tried again with the oil heater, with the connection is a plastic bag. Yeah, no. It burned out inside the plastic from condensation. So I tried agin with the connection outside the cold frame altogether. Morning dew took it out. And if it had rained...

With another mild winter like last one, I could see keeping plants through the winter in the new greenhouse. Wow.

GP73LPC

Veteran
im gonna try and post pics of it when i get it up and running. went bumping around the garage and found some pvc 45's/T's/ELBOWS'S, enough to cover the 4x8 area that we are using for the garden.

gonna have to find a "water barrel" of some sort and will plumb the gutters water to it.

damned blackberry got chomped on by my 15month old so that slows down my pic taking tremendously!

very cool !!!! :good: look forward to some pics :dance013:

Awesome! My new favorite thread!

wow, thanks man... it's a honor...

GP73LPC

Veteran
a nice little harvest yesterday...

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks funk...

the Azoychka tomato plant is really starting to put out now !!!! About 40-50 tomatoes on that baby as i type... pulled off 4 more this morning...

elune

MaddaFakka great work GP! Simple AMAZING build! I love it. Thank you for share.
The hearvest is nice but u have to pomp it up to luxury :p
Countdown to hemp seeding?

GP73LPC

Veteran
MaddaFakka great work GP! Simple AMAZING build! I love it. Thank you for share.
The hearvest is nice but u have to pomp it up to luxury :p
Countdown to hemp seeding?

thanks.... i am hoping in the spring...

Dude... AWESOME thread! LOVE the DIY greenhouse. A+...

thanks...

btw, i kinda let this thread slip off the radar because of a stupid mistake i made in the summer.

i sprayed a pesticide that i later found out could not be used on veggies (after someone told me it was ok). needless to say after speaking to the company that makes the product i decided to let it go and kill everything, so fall harvest was ZIP, ZERO, NADA !!! :cry:

and not only that but the plastic on the greenhouse finally gave way and subcombed to the wind and mostly the sun. UV rays kill everything... i expected it to last a year, it made it about 10.5 months...

so in the last couple weeks i have replaced the plastic roof and purchased broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, romaine lettuce, head lettuce, sweet jumbo onions and lake green onion seedlings/sets. all cool weather plants. should be ready in Dec or Jan....

they will be planted today or this weekend at the latest...

pics to follow later :tiphat: