What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

$200 DIY Greenhouse

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Looking GREAT GP! I think I may build a cold frame soon - maybe that'll satisfy my itch to build a whole house like you've got, .. For now, at least.

About what latitude are you at? Just wondering where you're at to be able to have this goin' so early..

:respect:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
thanks SH...

it has really given me quite a jump on spring, easily a month, maybe more considering some were seedlings.

it has been a fairly mild Jan/Feb, but we have had plenty of nights below freezing. And definitely no days below freezing, which can occur here...

its just warmer in the greenhouse. some night i will creep out there when the temps are below freezing to see what it is in the greenhouse. i suspect it's easily 5 degrees warmer inside the greenhouse even in the dark just from residual eat built up inside.

condensation occurs easily on the inside of the plastic too, which just creates a more humid environment. that can really help around here as things heat up outside... btw, as far as latitude, let's just say around 32°-33° N.

after having this for some time now i don't believe it will be useable in the heat of summer (we'll see !!!, maybe some melons or something :dunno:) but it has already proved during a fairly mild winter it can grow cool weather plants year round... can't beat that !!!

i even believe with a couple of propane tent heaters i could run for 3-5 days if need be to save an entire crop ;)

i'm glad i built this thing. :tiphat:

GP73LPC

Veteran
i just realized 3 photo's i thought got posted were not in my post... her ya go...

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
been a while since i updated...

onions, carrots and two types of lettuce... and lots of weeds :cry: even the walkway, i need to weedwack and put some rocks or something down...

picture.php

lettuce, cabbage, califlower, brussel sprouts and broccoli...

picture.php

on the new side of the greenhouse we have bush beans and snap peas off to a good start...

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
been a while, all hell has broken loose and is under control again...

heat and bugs...

first i had fire-ants, in both beds. a total of ten mounds before i finally killed or ran them off.

then i had a caterpillar infestation... nearly killed my brussel sprouts. anyway, i sprayed those with sevin and they are adios...

the heat inside the greenhouse when temps outdoors are 80-85 are about 95-100. not good for lettuce. the romaine flowered and the leaf lettuce is about to follow. i will re-plant these in september.

and of course my broccoli did flower. note to self, don't keep broccoli over the winter, get new seedlings for each planting.

anyway here we go... still need some weeding done. that's a never ending battle. also pics taken after sevin spraying. little white spots on the leaves is the residue.

cucumbers and bush beans

picture.php

snap peas

picture.php

strawberries

picture.php

spinach

picture.php

tomato's. the monster is an azoychka. note to self, plant next to walkway for more headroom next time...

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
okra...

picture.php

that side of the greenhouse...

picture.php

picture.php

the other side, we have...

onions

picture.php

carrots

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
lettuce, about to be culled, romaine on the right flowered and the other is about to follow

picture.php

mostly damaged by caterpillars, brussel sprouts(far right), cauliflower and cabbage

picture.php

open spots and broccoli culled...

picture.php

this side of the GH...

picture.php

picture.php

GP73LPC

Veteran
the whole shebang !!!

picture.php

picture.php

you may notice in the first pic, i added a small shelf, just below the fan. just for small things, because i can...

you also will see the black plastic. the weeds here were outta of control :eek: no more. rocks or wood chips or something will be added eventually...

i like where this is going :dance013:

GP73LPC

Veteran
i still need to add some peppers; jalapeno, bell, banana...

a couple more tomato plants, cloning a celebrity as we speak... early girl, sweet hybrid clone and azoychka GIANT !!!

i have a catnip seedling i might put in here. i have another okra seedling :dunno:

my outdoor garden is unfortunately still in planing stages :cry: good thing is the GH runs about two months early. :tiphat:

FRIENDinDEED

A FRIEND WITH WEED IS A . . .
Veteran
dude . . . . im so fucking envious of you right now, you just have no clue.

this is EXACTLY what i was explaining to my wife that we need BUT "as usual" (shakes his hands in the air) she wants to do shit her way

" no no no hun, i dont need all of that, i just want a planter bed, right in the back of the garage do it can get sun an be watered by teh rain water that pours off of the roof, i dont want any thing elaborate"

the aftermath is a planter bed that is now a weed bed that gets entirely toooo much water and has no true support system for the plants in it, subject to all manner of wildlife creature that just happens by and wants to take a nibble.

i dont understand this woman, she sees me build the cab from scratch, take cuts and have them root, popped her damned seeds for her and the whole 9 yards right? complete DIY, wiring and all!!! and she just wouldn't take my advice. smh (sigh)

sorry for the rant bruh, but yeah, thats how inspired i am.

i recently told her that for this season im going to build the goddamn thing the way its supposed to be for our area so we can save a few bucks here and there, and you sir have just given me the frame work that i need to get things together.

i got the farmers almanac link already saved (SOOOOO NEEDED THAT ONE!!!) so i'll be coming back for more info, really and truly great damned thread man, seriously

GP73LPC

Veteran
damn, i mean it, leave the greenhouse alone a few days and shit happens.

my Azoychka tomato plant has turned into an absolute beast !!!!

look at the stem sizes...

in the pic you see two tomato cages, neither belong to the beast, it's real hard to see hers... those smaller tomato's, god help them are early girl and sweet hybrid 100's...

on the right two 1 foot tall okra plants are covered. may have to transplant...

largest tomato is about 1 inch in diameter, tons of flowers...

picture.php

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:respect:

F*ckin' A, I can't ever figure out how this thread slips off my radar from time to time. Definitely glad I tuned back in!

GP73LPC

Veteran
thanks, that particular tomato plant is about 5 feet wide, 4.5 foot tall and about 2.5 feet deep...

btw, these tomato's are yellow and it looks if she stays healthy i'm gonna have way too many...

also, i've eaten a few onions, both raw and sauteed in a skillet. awesome, but small. biggest diameter was about an inch...

have eaten about 6 strawberries (as they ripen)

:wave:

GP73LPC

Veteran
well the greenhouse has been SUMMER-IZED !!!!!! temps have already dropped at least 10 degrees....

picture.php

picture.php

The Beast has been tied up, giving the sweet 100's and early girl plants a chance for some light, lol !!!

picture.php

Of all the various and exotic pepper seeds i planted earlier, none came up. they were old, so that's ok... anyway, i just added a jalapeno, bell, anaheim, hot banana and sweet banana seedlings...

picture.php

picture.php

more pics in the next post...

GP73LPC

Veteran
got a celebrity tomato plant in recently, she's a clone from last years plant... pepper plant in pic too... not to mention a few weeds :cry:

picture.php

and finally, harvested a few green beans and snap peas.... cooking them up for dinner tonight...

picture.php