What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 x 400w stacked multi-strain gimmick with blumats & sexy soil

2 x 400w stacked multi-strain gimmick with blumats & sexy soil

• Purple Peyote x Querkle [Hammerhead]

Votes: 41 51.9%
  • Blubonic [SOL]

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Blue Satellite 2.2 [SOL]

Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Hashberry [Mandala]

Votes: 21 26.6%

• Total voters

Bonzo

Veteran
i was lookin at ProMix first #4? or is the Sunshine #4? arent they kinda the same thing?

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ha! You know me BB - 've got a line of bullshit a mile long..

:friends:

I'll be going with one 600, one 400. May start a new thread - I think everyone's bailed on this party. Sucks, because I didn't even get to break out the 8-year-old Stone barleywine. Losers.

I took the base off of one of the sockets last time, to shorten up the distance between the two lamps, .. But now that I need it back on there (makes hanging much easier -- read: safer), I can't seem to get the f*cking thing back on. Almost like the screws are JUST short enough to basically self-destruct once disassembled.

Here's the challenge - how many failed attempts (measured in minutes, mind you) before I just say "Fuck it, it's worth $20 on a new socket to not have to dick with this thing?"

I'm taking odds..

My life - this is it.

Serves you right you lieing bastard. I hope it does not go together and you stick yourself with a screw for lieing.

Two 400's my big fat hairy ass.

JK

silver hawaiian

Veteran
I think they're probably similar - competing products, I think it's fair to say.

I've only got experience with the ProMix HP - though I can't imagine there's a world of difference (cue: someone smarter than I to come educate me)..

Dig around, you'll find some killer soil mix recipes.. I posted mine at the beginning of the thread, and again fairly recently.. I've made some recent additions that weren't on the initial mix at the start of the thread:

Blood meal
Indonesian guano
Neem seed meal
Crab shell meal

Beats mixin' and measuring and pHing and all that stuff any way, IMO. :dance:

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Silver, if I may.....look up subcools super soil. Follow the directions to a "T" and never look back. I have no experience with other mixes but I can say that his is very easy to make and works like a charm. Just add water. Fuck bottles

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Silver, if I may.....look up subcools super soil. Follow the directions to a "T" and never look back. I have no experience with other mixes but I can say that his is very easy to make and works like a charm. Just add water. Fuck bottles

Hmm. I've taken a look at the mix before, and though I don't remember anything specific about it, I do remember being kind of underwhelmed by it. I oughtta go look again. Since mine's been a work in progress, I suppose I'm a bit partial to mine. :)

cool cab silver, gonna be nice!!!

Thanks kw! This'll be the second run in the cab, but the first run with the two levels.

Also, I think I may've found an opening for another cut of the Goat. One of the Blue Satellite 2.2 seedlings is definitely a mutant. But like, an "I don't think it's going to grow out of this" mutant. Not a "Let's see how it smokes" mutant.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Serves you right you lieing bastard. I hope it does not go together and you stick yourself with a screw for lieing.

Two 400's my big fat hairy ass.

JK

Ha! I'll have y'all know, I did stop by the Depot and pick up some #6 1/2" machine screws, and some #6 3/4"ers.

This - this is the excitement in my days.

:blowbubbles:

Thanks for joinin' us IC - soon enough, we'll have some sexiness to ogle..

:watchplant:

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
Ha! I'll have y'all know, I did stop by the Depot and pick up some #6 1/2" machine screws, and some #6 3/4"ers.

This - this is the excitement in my days.

Thanks for joinin' us IC - soon enough, we'll have some sexiness to ogle..

:watchplant:

Well shuck's you can't stab yourself with machine screws.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Question for you vertsters. Or smart 'lectrical folk, too.

I took the base off of the socket last time, to shorten up the distance between bulbs. Here's what it looked like afterwards:

picture.php

Took off the white base deal. I'm going to put it back on (makes it much easier to hang the bulb in this application), but the wires barely reach. I'm able to connect the two, but the ground just plain won't reach. Should I be concerned? :dunno:

G

greenmatter

i would leave it the way it is. (with the ground connected)

the bulb will run without the ground connected (the white wire runs to ground too) but if something goes south and you actually need that ground you are going to have issues

i would not want to get zapped by a ballast, it aint 120 on the way out of the box

looking good in there !!!! BTW

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Thanks greenmatter! Just to clarify, .. Right now, the ground wire is still in the base of the socket, just not connected to anything.

Ought I be good with that?

(FWIW, the black and white wires are amply joined by/covered with wirenuts - so I think there's zero chance of the ground touching any exposed wires).

??

Honestly, if I'd just commit to spending an hour in there, tidying up and moving, I'm ready to flip the switch, .. Then, I think, "Well, hmm, the only consequence of waiting longer is a longer veg and therefore a [presumably] higher yield.."

Then I'm all, "F*ck it, let's get this show on the road, Jack."

Edit: greenmatter, thanks for the kudos, but that last photo is ooooold - was just to show how I'd rigged the socket. :)

Hopefully we'll have some good pr0n soon though

G

greenmatter

i'm not an electrician silver, but i work around some good ones and take their advice on everything having anything to do with electricity.

one of the rules they pound into your head is ALWAYS MAKE SURE A CICUIT IS GROUNDED!!!!

before i started working with these guys i feared electricity, i have learned enough to just respect the hell out of it. one shortcut can fuck your whole world up brudda! electric codes are there because someone somewhere learned the hard way.

CYA silver! CYA

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Dude - I appreciate the response, but pardon my ig'nance. I'm still not any closer to "Am I OK as I am?"

:)

..lemme think out aloud again here: The ground wire in this socket is supposed to connect to the another screw on the ceramic base.

The challenge is that it physically won't reach back to the base to its old home.

So, if ground I must, what's the best way to work around the shortage in length? :chin:

G

greenmatter

you will be fine ......... AS LONG AS THE WHITE RETURN WIRE DOES WHAT IT IS THERE TO DO ........ something goes wrong with that wire and all bets are off. thats why the ground is there ..... redundant, redundant,redundant.

i'm not sure exactly what you are dealing with. you might have to strip some insulation so the ground is long enough and put some new connectors on or you could solder some wire on to what is there ...... or something completely different. it's hard to tell from where i'm sitting :biggrin: got a pic?

FWIW if you don't ground the bulb, and for some reason the bulb does not light >>>> don't assume the bulb is the problem and start grabbing wires and sockets! with no ground, if the return gets broken, all those volts start looking for a new way to find a way home. you don't want to be the path of least resistance.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:thank you:

Perfect - confirmed what I was barely understanding. ;)

When I ran it last time (no base), the ground was just hangin' out, I do reckon. :dunno:

Ig'nance = bliss

House burned down = :wallbash:

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
subcools mix is ok. i remember thinking that it could have much more love in it. unless hes changed it this year. i found my own mix to be an improvement over his, and silvers tweaking and addition of neem and crab improve it more.

ok so ive gone and read the 2010 revision.
edit*
ok i dunno. says he uses for a year. but it sounds like it just sits around for a year, not recycled. cant really tell. anyway, why pay all that money for bagged soil that we know is a ripoff (ive read many of cootz posts about the soil companies and their practices and ingredients, he lives right down the road from where many of the major brands are made) when you can control every aspect yourself and have more ingredients for longer? its really not that hard, it just takes time. but, after a couple years of experimenting, silver will have a living soil that no 60 day old batch of beefed up roots organic would EVER compare to. and he will know it inside and out. the relationship he will have (and does already) will be one of understanding and respect. which is proper, imo.

soil is life.

i applaud silvers efforts to create a stable long term recyclable soil.
i also personally think its important to add teas to your living soil, and can understand having to rely on bottles because we dont all live in an area where we can access the ingredients year round. i use bottled organic nutes to brew teas for a vegan living organic soil. its a pretty decent method.
just wanted to add my two cents for the opposing point of view, budman :)

Last edited:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
:yeahthats

The concept itself of organic growing to me is appealing on many levels, .. Simplicity, sustainability, simplicity, cost, simplicity..

Here's how I rock it -- A while back, I made a shitton of fresh mix. I'm still chipping away at that for new runs. Here and there, as I get turned on to this-or-that, I'll go back and add more/other amendments to the fresh mix. That's been sitting since February or so.

At the end of my runs, I just cut the stalk at the base, maybe dig out the "stump," and just throw the whole mess of "spent" dirt into a big trash can. .. That accumulates as more plants finish up, and it's occasionally stirred & re-amended (though not to the same full-strength that the freshy is), ..

Lather, rinse, repeat. Mix, use, re-mix, use, re-mix, use.

When I started this, I was hoping to soup up the mix so much that I could get away with straight water throughout. ..and I'm sure I'd have decent amounts of decent buds that way, but I've found that supplementing with teas throughout is a really, really good idea. A difference-maker, for sure.

(So then I start going, "Hey, self, why is it that plants & trees can thrive in nature just fine without anyone making a tea out of wormshit or pouring from a bottle of EJ?" .. And it occurred to me that while we can soup up our mix with all kinds of goodies, the reality is that what's going on in our pots and tents is still a fairly "controlled" environment. There are no birds shitting on the floor of the forest. No critters dying and decaying. Lots of other sorts of beneficial symbiotic shit that goes on outside. We're missing out on all that..)

So, in my dinosaur brain, it makes sense to me that even with a killer mix it's still a good idea to continually (at least periodically) add even more goodness back in to our pots..

(I think I have no idea what that has to do with this recipe or that, but to me, the concept is still the same. I think WuTang Financial said it best - "Diversify yo bonds, nigga.")

My two cents - if we all keep this up, we might can make a phone call pretty soon. Anyone know where there's a pay phone these days?

Latest posts

Latest posts