What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2.64w CCFL nano vert cab

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
Rock on :)

Well for the first time in my life, I picked up some real foil tape, instead of that stupid see-thru stuff. It's such great stuff, damn.

Pretty rad huh? :D The shroud over the exhaust is an old PSU casing and metal, so I mounted the inverters on that.

I don't have a door yet. The container didn't have one, but I had a thought to use aluminium angle around 3 edges, and a sheet of thin ply as the door, so the door slides/slots in to place.

I had to lay it on it's front to simulate a door, but the temp was non existant even on minimum fan. The airflow is really good - the angle vent was designed in size for a tiny blower output, but it works great. Very free flow - I changed the fan grill for a much less restrictive one. If you look directly into the fins of the intake vent, there's quite obvious light. This shouldn't be an issue I think, when run in the correct orientation, with pots inside. I didn't run it in pitch black yet, I want to wait for the door.

There is just one wire supplying all the power from a 12v adapter (like Stealth uses). 1.5 amp and the fan is .48 amp but run on minimum. Note there's a spare molex there to run a small 120mm fan on the floor to get any hot air away if required. You never know, lol.

I'm really happy with it so far. :)

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran
wow looks pretty cool Scrubs, welcome to the foiltape fan club. I swear I could build anything out of that stuff.

lol I hooked up 2 white ccfl strips in my pc for some additional light yesterday. Worked hours on it. I was soooo proud of myself, looked all cool and shit! Then today I noticed light bleeding out of the case during "lights out". Yeh my dumb ass forgot to rig them to a timer with my cfl light! rofl...amazed me at first that I forgot something so obvious like that, but now it's just one of those funny stoner mistakes. hahah worked all that time and forgot that the lights needed to be on a timer.

still working on borrowing a camera, I've asked 3 ppl now and they all have cameras but no one know where their cord is to plug it into a pc to DL the pics. lol!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Haha sheeeit, well at least they're only early in flower... Happens to the best of us. I blame the drugs! :)

Btw, in the last pic you can see the speed control dial at the rear external of the cab. It fitted in so well to the little indentation at the traditional bottom of the bucket. I have some flat white spray I'll do the inside with before it's finished. Woah, I just had an idea for the door. Panda and velcro. It's on like donkey kong tonight. Good thing I have 3000 useless bits of ccfl velcro. :biglaugh:

Helis

This looks awesome! I'll pull up a chair and follow along.
The only :2cents: I have is be careful careful careful with those "bare" CCFL tubes. I had some years ago in a PC case that I took out of the tubing, as I remember a sneeze would make them break, especially around the ends of tube, particularly the one with the leads on it.
That said this is exciting... 2.64w is less than an air pump!

watson540

you can supposedly make an ozone generator with the inverters that power those lights as well. It's definitely a cheap way to get a high voltage power supply. The drawback being that you need a computer power supply or at least something with 2 amps. I tried with a 12v 1amp supply and barley got an arc through glass, so I broke down and bought a real neon transformer that just steps up from 120 directly

superpedro

Veteran
:jump:Wicked nano grow box! I'm going to be hittin' you with K for a while whenever the sys lets me. Your harvest and setups all worthy of big K!

Action rapport; just arrived home from work after an 8 km walk through a blizzard. Traffic was chaos. What use is FWD when every hill is blocked by trucks that cant move...
Merry f****** Christmas:eggnog:

Those small bulbs are soo cool.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Big ups guys. You got me nervous now, I hope it works! :)

I still haven't found out about the return wire, but if it's not cool I can run a thin sliver of clear tape or something, perhaps.

That's interesting about the ozone. Perhaps I should locate the inverters inside the exhaust shroud. Integrated odour control :cool: Watson, I'm not sure why yours wouldn't run if it was a standard pc style. All I can think is that some of my power supplies put out 12v as well as a 5v line, so perhaps they were mixed up? Are you growing with 'em?

MrBom, there is an hilarious micro grow thread on an aussie forum, but you need to sign up to see it. It was a total joke and one of the guys used glowsticks :) This pic is by TheHeadCing.

Aussie growers are pretty hardcore so they treat micro like a bit of a joke. :puppydoge

Thanks everyone for reading, and for the inspiration from seeing your own grows. Pedro, I think seeing you do intensive surgery on your bulb really got me enthusiastic on this project. :eggnog:

I may be taking some cuts tonight but I'm not sure I have enough plant matter. They're kinda just starting to flower too. :/

StealthDragon

Recovering UO addict.
Veteran

18 days of 12/12 (don't mind the dates. I changed batteries, they're the same day)
sorry fer the crappy quality pics. I'd say the buds are a little thinner then they would normally be under my cfls(100w psf), but the pistils are longer.
I guess we'll see how they turn out. They sure look healthy to me, and veg growth was fairly steady...faster then I thought it would be at least.

Keep in mind too that I chopped 7 or 8 4" clones off of those right before I flipped to 12/12, I'd say the overall size now is about the size it was when I chopped it.

btw Scrub when I said that I screwed up the lights the other day... that was on a different pc, which is in veg still so it was no big deal.

lol, love the glowstick grow.

I hope you're having a great holiday season Scrub. :) :smokeit:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Big ups Hella :cool::yes: Thanks for checkin' it out.

Stealth, that's big pimpin' mayn! They do look sorta more....normal than I expected :biglaugh: Very cool and thanks for the cool christmas present ;)

Mrred, the whole thread was so hilarious. I wish I could link you but yeah, gotta register, and I'm not sure it was that hilarious :) hehe. Someone wanted to use cig filters as a carbon filter.

Well, I finally took these cuts! :woohoo: Talk about a shambling stoner. I had to use coco from the grow I just harvested. I couldn't find my cloning gel. The plants weren't fully hydrated. So, not the best example, but good enough to see if it works. So I used saliva for cloning gel. That's how real men do it anyway. :)

I gotta go to bed quick, it's nearly christmas :window:

Have a merry one!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
It depends on how you look at it, Crake. :biglaugh: I think there's a very very slim chance I could break 1gpw. But there's also a monumental chance that it won't have enough steam to even throw out pistils. Come on CCFLs, you can do this! :smoke: :beat-dead

I'm pretty certain that it's enough light to strike the cuts though, slowly.

Crake

It depends on how you look at it, Crake. :biglaugh: I think there's a very very slim chance I could break 1gpw. But there's also a monumental chance that it won't have enough steam to even throw out pistils. Come on CCFLs, you can do this! :smoke: :beat-dead

I'm pretty certain that it's enough light to strike the cuts though, slowly.
Are you actually planning to flower under this wattage? If so I'm super stoked to see what happens. I've been really curious to see what a plant would yield under these conditions--like a 20 plant micro-SOG with 50 watts of light, small pots, 12/12 from seed. Like a pygmy SOG. I think it has potential. Have you seen any low watt grows around?

Looking good Scrub :yes:. Looks brighter than i thought 2 watts would look.

I have a question...Do ccfl bulbs give off virtually no heat? Like could your plants grow on the bulbs?

Latest posts

Latest posts