What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2.5x1.8 meter coco scrog, 3 strain bingo!!

Tokesome

Not so proffesional Cana Coco!!

Not so proffesional Cana Coco!!

I`ve used Canna Coco Professional for this and previous grows, and it says how it doesn`t have any contaminants in it. Well I came across this rubbish in mine, I dare say there are more contaminants in the pots as I didn`t sift through it all thoroughly.

2 twigs and 2 pieces of plastic here came out of the coco.

IMG_1928_10_1.jpg

I`ve also had little unidentified seedlings sprout from the top of pots, filled with coco like this one. Bearing in mind that my grow is indoors and the chance of me accidentally placing little seeds during my work with them is miniscule, Surely this doesn`t fit in with Canna`s claim that their coco is produced with out being contaminated by soils and kept in sterile like conditions??

IMG_1921_6_1.jpg

Ah well, its far too much hassle to take it up with anyone, but it further dents my trust in the manufacturer`s sales lingo.

Toke

Tokesome

Non Profesional Canna coco

Non Profesional Canna coco

Heh heh, I doubt it Scroger mate, I is just a small fry, though I did think of sending the items back to Canna.

What does LMFAO mean mate?? I`m crap at working out abbreviations.

Seriously though, it aint on, the sterility of the coco must be compromised and when composting the coco, you`d be dumping plastics into the compost too. The little blob at the top of the photo looks and feels to me like some sort of husk from a seed pod! It looks very much like I got a bag that contained floor sweepings or something

I reckon I`ll let the little seedling grow, rather than remove it from the pot, just to see what it is. I`ll probably have some exotic plant of Indian origins come up. That`d be a laugh, I could even start a grow journal for it, heh heh.

Toke

B

British_Bulldog

Hey B`dog, yeah I`ve got the set up for nft and dont like the bunged end idea. The loop idea was a suggestion made when I posed the question in the G room design forum, it keeps the pressure a bit more even.

3 loops could be a real PITA for working around as my 2 res` are in the corners of the room. I`ll put a shot up of the overall room at the weekend with my ultra wide lens and you`ll see what I mean. Having said that, the idea of one big loop is probably gonna be a PITA too, so I dont rule yer thought out at this stage, the individual feeding would be handy with different timed strains coming off as you say.

I could attach a big loop to my screen frame and figure of 8 it down the middle, this would provide tubes running up each side and two up the middle to run from. I was thinking of hand feeding the Arma`s during PK13/14 week and again for their flush week which should work out to coincide with the PK13/14 week for the GF and BB`s, that is if the Arma`s really do finish in 7weeks!

If the Arma`s really do what they say they do and yeild well in 7 weeks and produce high quality weed, I`d find it hard to put other longer strains in with them, slowing the process down by a couple of weeks each time. I like the idea of 2-3 different strains to smoke tho, so I`ll see how this one works with double harvesting the Arma`s and single harvest the others.

Ok cool m8, I've been putting some thought into it myself, and been looking around the web for ideas.

I'm curious what you meant in the section I've highlighted in bold, as I think you missed off the number of weeks in the middle of the sentence.

Could you not monocrop this room with 7-week Armas and get some serious production going, then have a little personal grow somewhere else with longer flowerers?

Peace

Tokesome

Could you not monocrop this room with 7-week Armas and get some serious production going, then have a little personal grow somewhere else with longer flowerers?

Peace

Hey B.dog, yeah what I meant is if I get an auto system, and assuming I can find a nutrient strength to suit the 3 strains, the timing of the Arma`s would mean I`d have to disconnect these from the system and feed separately by hand 3 weeks prior to harvest when I apply PK13/14 for a week, then they should hook up for another week for normal nutrients with the others, and then come off for the final week (2 if they`ll manage it without mold issues) for flush. This should coincide with timing for PK13/14 for the GF and BB`s.

Hope that makes sense mate. actually thinking about it, it`d make more sense to hand feed the GF`s and BB`s and leave the Arma`a hooked to the auto system as there are only 4x GF`s and 2x BB`s under the screen, whereas there are 9 Arma`s. Less to hand feed.

To add further complication I`m going to make use of the 4 spare plants (3 Arma`s and a BB) by positioning them close to the sides of the screen, raised up and trained to get the max in the light. I haven`t figured it out yet but I`m thinking of having some sort of trough to bring run off from thes extra plants, down from their pots and into the nft waste tanks below. Fook knows if this is going to be possible in my set-up though, I may even end up hand feeding the lot for the whole grow, though its a lot of work, especially getting under the screen to feed the 5 plants that are in the middle row of the grow. 2 of the spare Arma`s are on reserve at the mo tho, as the BB are still looking a bit dodgy, I`m going to give them another misting with Epsom salts at next lights off. If they still look a bit dodgy, they`ll come out and be grown at the side of the grow and I`ll pop the 2 Arma`s in their place.

I`ve got all 15 plants of the scrog set out in their final positions, and all raised 3 inches from the bottom of the nft trays, and all now have a drainage wick stuck 2-3 inches into the bottom of each pot. The idea behind the raised pots and drainage wick is to help avoid such a perched water table in the pots and a more even moisture distribution throughout the coco.

This most definitely has a desirable affect, after fitting the wicks and raising the pots off the nft tray on plants I`d fed a few hours earlier, the wicks started drip, drip, dripping as they leached the excess fluid from the bottoms of the pots. This should make the bottom of the pots much more suitable for healthy roots. I`ll keep an eye on it just to make sure they`re not too effective. If they are I`ll adjust feeding quantities and regularity. I`m actually wondering if it`d be better to have maybe 3 wicks spread across the bottoms of pots to make it more even, or whether one and the coco`s own wicking properties will be suffice.

I intend feeding once a day, but if the wicks dictate it I`ll up it to 2 or even 3 feeds a day.

A photo of the bottom of a pot, showing the wick dripping

wicks007_15_1.jpg

I`ll post some more photo`s later today, or the wee wee hours of tmro showing the final layout,

Cheers for now, Toke

Tokesome

Hey I`m just having a go at a run for ice hash from my last crops fan leaves. I dont expect them to produce a whole lot, but I`ve got shit loads of them so it may be worth while. Its also easier to get rid of two bin liners full of fan leaf once its pulped down into a mash:)

I`ve still got loads of good trim and popcorn, but I`m saving this for butter and honey oil. I fancied a bit of hash though so that I can have a go at making some of this "jelly hash" I`ve been reading about.

Anyway I thought I`d update my thread whilst in between agitations and stirrings.

Her`s a couple of shots of the Armageddon in my friends grow tent, its 1.2meter square. The cuttings came from the same as mine. They`re week 3, day 4. Excuse the sodium lighting.

IMG_1930_1_1.jpg

IMG_1934_2_1.jpg

Anyway, back to my grow. As I said all my plants are in position and the next stage is training into the screen, some have already reached, the screen is around 20cms from the top of the coco and the plants had to be lst`d a lil bit so that they could get under it once raised up on their stands.

IMG_1950_5_1.jpg

This shows the room layout, I`m stood on one of the res` to take this shot, you can see the other res in the corner at the far side of the room.

IMG_1951_6_1.jpg

The Grapefruit is the race leader and I expect it to fill the screen fairly quickly.

IMG_1961_9_1.jpg

This shows my filter situation, the big one is a 10inch 1000+m3 flowrate and connected to a RVKl1 8inch fan. The one nearest is a 6 inch filter connected to a 5 inch fan. The other long thin one isn`t being used and is in the way really but will have to wait till after this grow before its moved.

IMG_1954_7_1.jpg

Cheers Toke

Ps, off to finish my hash!!

Tokesome

Here`s the hash I made, its a bit green, so not the best quality, but from fan leaf its not bad. Its a few grams.

IMG_1993_1_1.jpg

Tmro night I intend on doing a run of BHO as I`ve just run out. Its my favourite smoke of the moment. I`ve found the perfect consistency to enable me to smeaer a paper with as thick or thin a layer as I decide, straight from the wrapper.

I reckon you get so much more bang for the buck from honey oil than you do from ice hash methods, and to smoke it is the nearest I can get to the feel of getting very stoned on strong canna butter cookies, but without the time coming up and the duration is of course much more controlled with honey oil spliffs.

Cheers, Toke:)

keke.nz

That hash looks good bro, what was the method you used to make it?

Your friends grow looks nice and lush as does yours, I'm sure that screen will be filled in a week or so.

Keep it up.

Peace keke

Tokesome

Yeah the hash is ok dude, I used bubble sacks for the ice extraction.

Yaeh the Arma`s are doing well in my friends grow. I`m not sure mine are growing the same way, they look to be growing much more like a Sativa at this stage, much, much shorter internodes. This may be because they were under a metal halide only at my mate`s till end of week 2 12/12, whereas mine have a single 400w metal halide and 2x 600w Sodiums. This concerns me a little as it`d be better for em to stretch nicely through the screen with no fear of stunting out.

I`m a bit confused as regards my lighting, MH versus HPS. I put a thread up in the equipment forum a couple of days ago but have had no replies. Anyone here know the answers??? the post is here :- http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=170841

Cheers, Toke

Tokesome

I`m re-thinking this grow at the moment.

I`m wondering whether to abandon the scrog this grow. One reason is that I could do withmoving my big extraction filter into the centre of the room, where the unused one hangs now(see last bunch of photo`s), as its not efficient where its hanging now, its too close to the intake, therefore sucking a lot of the clean fresh air directly, rather than the hot air from the centre of the room. I could maybe alter the intakes to make a difference, but it would be best in the middle of the room.

The other reason that I keep coming back to is that I have 20 plants, 3 different strains, and only space for 15 in the scrog. I can put the extra`s around the sides of the grow but they`ll be a real pain to work around and I`m wondering if I`m expecting too much to grow 3 different strains with different finishing times under one screen.

At the moment they look about perfect for switching to 12/12 to achieve good shaped bushes, I`d carry on LST`ing for a while. I`d be able to work around differing heights and growth between the different strains and I could also manage the 20 plants a lot easier this way and make up for losing the scrog`s extra yield prospects. This way I`d have a good idea next time around which to scrog with after judging the plants characteristics. I`ll purposely LST the hell out of one plant of each strain to see if there are any adverse affects on them, thus giving me a clearer idea of how each strain will react under a screen, rather than take a pot luck approach with 3 strains, especially after the last grow.

I dont suppose this will be good news to those of you who like the scrog, but I wanna have a first date with all three of these ladies before I start getting into real kinky stuff like "bondage and mesh"!

I think I`ve decided, well nearly.

Any thoughts ?

Cheers, Toke

B

British_Bulldog

Hey Toke,

'Just to food for though, lol, I'm sure you could alter the venting and think you could manage a ScrOG of this size, which will also be a more productive method.

If the extra 5 plants are a bitch, just lose them bro, and focus on maxing out the 15 which will fill the screen.

Peace

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Sure you got enough extraction mate :D lol... just kiddin, can never be to careful when it comes to smell, especially after the last wee scare ay mate.

Hmmm, dilemma's, dilemma's... I myself would probably give the scrog a miss, BUT, that's only because personally I am a little lazy and get quickly annoyed with fiddly work... Plus I would prefer not to have the screen in place enabling me to move the plants that I want around tend to them easier etc.

Have you thought about maybe trying a 'modular scrog' I think they are referred to as... A bit of work making individual screens for each plant but means moving them and tending to each strain much easier.

They're looking good btw... Your mates Armageddon's must have you somewhat eager to get yours into bloom as they're looking tasty :joint:

Tokesome

Well I`m still training under the screen. I`m going to have a look at altering the air intake positions in the hope that the exhaust efficiency will improve before deciding whether to carry on scrogin or not. If I take too long about it though they`ll have filled out the screen:D

The Arma`s are starting into the screen along with the BB, and the GF is already going for it and has horizontal growth going on already.

I`m definitely in favour of scroging, just not sure about a 3 strain scrog with different finishing times, but if I can sort the air intake/outake issue I`ll leave things in the scrog, if not I`ll take the screen off em.

I`d always like to have em flowering Shhh, but I dont like to rush anything, I`d only lose a week to screen filling with the 15 plants and I`m expecting a fair amount of stretch from the GF particularly, which is handy as they`re in the centre of 3 rows of plants under the screen and can be trained outwards towards both other rows. The Arma`s stretched a good deal in my friends grow tent but we had a MH only on until end of week 2 of 12/12, so I`m not sure how they`ll stretch, the spacing between the internodes are very tight compared how they grew in the growtent. The BB, one is doing well and is just ahead of most of the Arma`s, and the other I fear is a bit of a runt, but healthy enough looking.

I`d have thought they`d be ready for switching to 12/12 in a week to 10 days.

I`ve taken 3 Armageddon of the spare 5 plants and put them in my cloning cupboard under a 200w envirolight and switched them over to 12/12 today Sat 1st of May. I know that probably isn`t the best light to have them entering flowering on, but these 3 are just to bring me a bit of early smoke prior to the main crop coming down, and will sit in the main flowering room along side the screen, if still scroging, as soon as the main grow is switched over to 12/12. That should just work out fine as when I switch to 12/12 I`ll need my cloning cupboard back in use to produce clones from cuttings of all the best plants at this point, and the most vigorous Arma, the one I selected for a mum will need to live in there too. I`ll also flower the spare BB along side the main crop but at the same timing as the main crop.

I`m kinda hoping the air flow problem will get sorted and continue with the scrog technique as its already in place, but whichever way I go with it I`m sure gonna have some quality bud growing here:D

Everything is looking very healthy with no concerns. The BB are doing well after their initial Mg deficiency, the affected leaves have not regained their colour but all growth since seems to be fine and a good green.

One thing I know I need to sort out is the Calmax addy to my RO water when it comes to mid flowering onwards. The Calmax has 2% Nitrogen content, that along with the Nitrogen content of the Canna A+B will I reckon be too much N for mid to late flowering.

Cheers for now, Toke

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
Good spot on the nitrogen in the calmax mate... Yer we'd all love to be bloomin 24/7 :D I used to have a nice tight ship before my hiatus with mom's in veg n clones ready to go in as soon as room was harvested. Takes a lot of work/ time to keep things going like that though.

I reckon 5 arma's will do just fine under the 200w light for a bit all there gonna do really is stretch in that time really.

Look forward to the next set of pics

Tokesome

Yeah mate, I want em dying off when they`re finishing, my last crop was all a rich green and although the cheese strain was fucked I reckon too much N was an issue. It beats me as to why they make the stuff with the added N, maybe they have to have it in there, I suppose it depends what its made up from. Even going the natural molasses route, it has a N content too.

Its just the three going under the 200w light mate, the other Arma I`m gonna keep as a mother and the spare BB will go into flower at the same time as the others. 3 should be plenty for early smokes tho. ;-)

I`ll get some more pics up within the next couple of days. I`m going to be putting a bit of time into changing the air ins/outs situation today/tmro.

Cheers Toke

Tokesome

Canna complaint - NO REPLY

Canna complaint - NO REPLY

Oh BTW, I emailed Canna twice about the alien objects found in the coco and the 10 liter Canna Coco A+B nutes that has loads of fine bits clearly visible, I sent them images showing both. . . . . . I`ve had no reply.

That really stinks to me, but to be honest its as I suspected it would be, and shows to me that Canna are not bothered about small growers (I only buy 4 or 5x 50ltr bags each time) such as myself. Of course if I was a commercial grower they`d be all over me like a rash.

I`m going to be taking a look at B`cuzz nutes next time around, not that I`ve had any issues with the performance of either of the above products, but I`m loathed to spend my cash with companies that dont even respond to emails about complaints about there products.

Cheers Toke

~Shhh~

JETS
Veteran
I always heard good things about bcuzz mate, they are supposed to be a good company, have been advised to use there bloom stimulant for ages but never got round to it.

Thinking about trying house n garden myself next, although have had good results using Canna thus far

Tokesome

A bit more CANNA slating!!

A bit more CANNA slating!!

I always heard good things about bcuzz mate, they are supposed to be a good company, have been advised to use there bloom stimulant for ages but never got round to it.

Thinking about trying house n garden myself next, although have had good results using Canna thus far

Yeah mate, I tried 5ltrs of B`cuzz nutes a while back, and convinced myself it was good stuff, despite a problematic grow. That was nothing to do with the nutes tho and switched from Canna to B`cuzz just to eliminate the problem being nute related. I since went back to Canna as its what I`ve known, but I found B`cuzz cheaper per liter and its more highly concentrated, so it goes further too.

I`m fed up of the big boy attitude though, it reminds me of our crappy politicians at the moment. I mean if they cant be arsed to respond to an email with 2 genuine complaints that are a serious concern to me, accompanied by photo`s, why the fook would I wanna buy their products?

I`m only small fry to them I know, but I`d expect some sort of response. I do by 10ltr cartons, not 1 liter bottles, and the likes of me must be a good percentage of their business. I`ll carry on using the Canna nutes this grow, I`ve got around 8 liters of A+B to use up, but then I`ll switch over to B`cuzz.

I`ll shut up about it now, maybe!

Cheers Toke:D