What's new

1st Time Grow - 4x4 - 1000watts - Soil!

Frozenguy

Veteran
I wonder if my lil babies are tinge pale because the light is close? I checked and saw i had the setting on 1000watt instead of 600w, which i put it on tonight, so maybe they are a tiny pale from that, if pale at all...I can't tell.

Its possible. But in my experience seeds germ outdoors perfectly fine where the sun intensity is about 1300 watts per square meter. Or so.. How far do you have the light? An aircooled 1000w can be around a foot away in terms of regular plants. Not everyone would recomend the same light, but I put my seedlings about 3 inches away from my 250 MH air cooled bulb, which is what I do with my normal vegging plants. Some strains are different. Would probably need to see pictures, know more info. I'm also wondering, are you using two different bulbs with that ballast when you switch wattage? I dont think its very good for the bulb to under/over power it.

They shouldn't need any nutrients for a week or so after germinating right? My Smart Pots won't be here until late next week so i can't transplant them into a nutrient rich environment until then.
I let my seedlings go about 2 weeks without food. Depending on the strain some want it after a week and a half. But most can go 2 weeks or even close to three weeks without food. (I use peat, lime, ewc, perlite, and water with ro water). I think its better to initially underfeed then overfeed if anything. And I haven't really seen much of an improvement with feeding several days earlier, especially if they didn't want it.
That last picture you posted looked great. I wouldn't worry about feeding them just yet. Also want to make sure you let them dry out, enough. It can be surprising sometimes how long they can go, well for me. One time with a bagseed, I let it dry out to the point I could tell it was just starting to wilt. I weighed it (felt it with my hands and also weighed it on my little scale since its only a beer cup) so I knew when was too dry and what was a perfect time. But again, they are looking great so dont let me jinx ya.

Frozenguy :joint:

angel4us

ICMag Donor
myccorizial fungi

myccorizial fungi

hi stoner! if i may make a suggestion for next grow with your airpots. try some beneficial bacteria mixed in with your soil. i used gh', subculture m and b for the first time and cant beleive it !!! unbeleivable on garlic too!! i have 10,000 garlic plants and did two rows where i inocculated roots with subcultures and they are doing considerably better than others planted at same time...
general hydroponic subcultures are expensive but worthit im going to try this soon

i found out about this from plugging 4,500 mushroom plugs into logs this spring, another adventure.... anyway check this out

http://www.fungiperfecti.com/mycogrow/index.html

peace

Its possible. But in my experience seeds germ outdoors perfectly fine where the sun intensity is about 1300 watts per square meter. Or so.. How far do you have
the light? An aircooled 1000w can be around a foot away in terms of regular plants.

The light is about 14" away or so give or take an inch. The box fan blows cold air from the A/C unit (behind it) directly onto the hood so that i can rest my hand on any spot and it is either barely warm or chill to the touch. Underneath the bulb the heat is at a minimum as well and there is no discomfort whatsoever with my hand outstretched beneath it over the plants.

picture.php

picture.php

growclean

Grow Clean.... Go Fast!
I used to think this as well, but after doing an experiment I found that the roots did indeed grow enough during flowering to justify a bigger pot. Try it yourself and you will see that it is true.

What I did was transplant into a bigger pot halfway through flowering. By the end of it the rootball filled the entire big pot. Conclusion: the roots grow during flowering.

Anyway, 2-3 weeks is plenty of time to fill a 3 gallon pot with roots even if you do the transplant on day one.

Well, I have to disagree with this. After the first couple of weeks, the roots grow little to none. I have transplanted the same day that I have put them into flower, and upon harvest I was basically left with a root ball the exact size of the original pot. Also, I don't think that 2-3 weeks of veg would really fill out a 3 gallon pot completely. Plus, it will be more soil to lug, mix, clean up after, etc. If only vegging for a couple of weeks like that, I personally think that 2 gallons pots would be fine.

Frozenguy

Veteran
Those are looking great Stoner Chick..
Are those last photos with the HID on? Some time if you could, a photo without the HID on like right before/after lights on/off. Because they dont really look that pale to me, but maybe the color is getting messed up by the bulb.

But they are still looking good from here :plant grow:

Frozenguy :smokeit:

420ish

if your grow room is in with your furnace,during flowering your whole house is going to stink like buds!

I think i over watered.

I am pretty sure i did. I will try to not make that mistake again. I know it is like one of the top 3 noob mistakes. I will wait until the soil totally dries out and is crispy before watering again.

I have been feeling the weight of the little cups, i guess i just was not judging by the water at the center to bottom of the cup but the top couple inches of the dirt.

But yea, they look over watered. I will take some pics in the morning. I am up way too late.

*packs another bowl*

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
hey nice stuff stoner chick, you won't have to worry about males pollinating your crop even if you keep them with your females, it is possible to tell them apart before you flower them and even if you do flower them the males will mature and develop the pollen sacks long before the flowers are formed on the females and can be pollinated so you'll have plenty of time to weed them out (don't mind the pun haha) and get rid of them if you so choose :D. it's pretty easy to tell the difference i'll add some pics for ya :D

2_femalemarijuanaplant_1.jpg

cannabis_gender1.jpg

hope that helps and sorry if someone's already answered this :D have a lovely sabbath haha

darwin

darwinsbulldog

Landrace Lover
Veteran
Are these too pale? They don't exactly look 100% healthy

they don't look too bad to me, the soil looks really wet but i'm guessing you just watered them, but they don't seem to be showing signs of over watering/oxygen dep. if they do show signs of tip's going brown it's probs nute burn as they don't need much nutes at all at this stage of life so will mean there's too much nutes in the soil. anyway grow on :D

darwin

redspaghetti

love machine
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:wave: SC,

Read through 6 pages, must say you have a nice green thumb girl ;). Babies are looking fantastic, ICM should have more female growers ;).

Tagged!
cheers,
red.

r1790

I think i over watered.

I am pretty sure i did. I will try to not make that mistake again. I know it is like one of the top 3 noob mistakes. I will wait until the soil totally dries out and is crispy before watering again.

I have been feeling the weight of the little cups, i guess i just was not judging by the water at the center to bottom of the cup but the top couple inches of the dirt.

watering is one thing you need to be careful with when using MGOC soil, cause its prenuted with time released stuff. so each time you water, the plants get feed but water to often not only do you get normal problems that come with over watering but also nute burn possobly. its happend to b4 use the MGOC. so after that happend to me id just let my plant get realy dry then water them the next day that way i knew the soil was dry, but then again i wasnt using a 1000w hps so things didnt dry out as fast for me. hope some of this hepls for ya

May 30th - Day 6th

May 30th - Day 6th

I definitely over watered them, but the Dirty Dawg seems to be kinda hearty and handling it well.

The bag seed however - not so much.

picture.php

picture.php