What's new

1st Time Grow - 4x4 - 1000watts - Soil!

:grouphug:

Hey chicky. What did you think of using those 'peat-pot's? I didnt like them, held on to to much water for my tastes.

Wow they are great! The easiest thing in the world i have done related to this grow was adding water to those peat pots and sticking my seeds in them. And under my 1000watt they dry out pretty crispy in a day. In fact. I had too many so i move the lot of them to the floor and let them dry out because i thought i had no seeds in them, and lo and behold 3 sprouts broke out of totally bone dry peat pots so they earned a place under the light.

I'll take a new pic in a week after they recover from my really bad over watering.

Wait until you see the pics i am going to take when they are taller and flowering....:blowbubbles:

Ahoy Stoner Chick.

I read most of this thread and if I may share a thought or two with you.....

I see you have a nice 1000W light and an air conditioner. NOT knocking you here.....but PLEASE....you are almost there.....don't buy Miracle Grow again. LOL, I had to say it!

Do calibrate that nice pH meter once a week or so and keep the cap 1/2 full of ph 7.0 cal solution or storage solution...prolongs the life of the meter. Dry probe = no good.

Some one else said it.....grow 9-12 plants in there. BUT start all your seeds (like you did) so you can weed out the shitty ones, dwarfs/mutants...and then yea males. Take yer best 9-12 females and toss em in.....after you get clones from each one and properly label. ;)

I see alot of folks using the Smart Pots. IMO they are a waste of money.

Flower your plants when they are about 12-16" tall and prune off the lower 1/3.

Lastly, I think chicks that can grow weed are super hot. LOL. Had to say that too.

Good luck and I'll be around. :)

Thanks Admiral!

Hmm...The PH Meter...There is a spongy in the cap that i keep moist, but i can't keep water in the cap because the cap is a war to get off every time i use it.

I think i have 28 sprouts now.

I have left them alone all the day because i over watered them, THEN transplanted them :(, all the usual 'too much messing around' that noobs do. I won't even go into how many times i have changed the setting on my ballast from 1000 to 750 to 600 and back up again. So i have just decided to stay out of there. I will peek in on them, but i won't linger in there, i don't want them thinking the crazy long haired chick is back to drown them and rip up their roots. :(

Home depot or Lowe;s sell the soil reading stick for a few bucks. It will help you know when your plants need to be water.

RedSpaghetti says buy, i buy.

picture.php

U4EA

Lifting your pots will also let you know when to water. I suggest you not waste your money. But what do I know...

Lifting your pots will also let you know when to water. I suggest you not waste your money. But what do I know...

Well here is what happened. I WAS lifting the little cups...But i had forgotten to make an empty one so i would feel the difference, and ended up over watering because i thought they felt dry, but when i transplanted them, the top of the soil was very dry but under it all was soaked. Transplanting dried them up really quickly over night.

Now at least i have the meter so i can double check my "lift the pot" skills until i get "lifting the pot" down properly.

The meter was under $10 and will help me a little get over the learning curve, i hope.

U4EA

I'm sure redspaghetti knows what he's doing but those meters are bad news. Lifting is the way to go. If you can't tell whether a pot's wet or dry by lifting, well you know...

They look like they might be good for stabbing any potential intruders and growroom robbers.

Already 8 pages... better be more than seedlings next time I look!!

I concur....pot weight is the only way to go.

Example....

I use 3 gallon pots and grow under 1000's. In the winter, I water or feed every three days. In summer, its every other day. Pot weight baby!

Zealious

Ola! Nice set up.. Those seedlings are looking good cozzied up to the comfort maker.

hush hush a moisture meater is a great investment for a beginner. Just make sure that even when u use the meter u are also lifting the pots up so you start to develop a feel for it.

They are looking good.. I mean yea miracle grow synthetic stuff sucks but that organic stuff is made up of poultry manure mainly .. Nothing wrong with that..

keep up the good work mrs.

Perpetual Nooch

I think most people buy one of those meters when they first start out. I know that they then throw them away after about a week once they find out it doesn't work.

All you need is two transplants. Start your seeds/clones in beer cups, then move to a 1 gal then to your final finishing pot (2/3 gal). Remember the bigger you can make the root ball the bigger your buds will be (in soil or soilless mix).

The main taproot will only take a 24-36 hours before it reaches the bottom of the pot. That doesn't mean the whole pot is filled with roots, which is what you want before you transplant.

I hope you're switching your bulb as well when you change the settings on your ballast. The ballast setting should match your bulb.

SunshineJoy

I have left them alone all the day because i over watered them, THEN transplanted them :(, all the usual 'too much messing around' that noobs do. I won't even go into how many times i have changed the setting on my ballast from 1000 to 750 to 600 and back up again. So i have just decided to stay out of there. I will peek in on them, but i won't linger in there, i don't want them thinking the crazy long haired chick is back to drown them and rip up their roots. :(

LOL - I totally get it. You can talk to them and sing to them and tell them how much you love them and how beautiful they are. You can download night-time jungle sounds and play it to them from an iPod & speakers. You can even give them lessons in bondage by tying them up, bending, fimming and all that good stuff. But we all need to learn restraint when it comes to the water and nutes!!!

They look quite lovely to me so far, so keep up the great work!

:dance013:

Hey, anything at the Olympics about Pot, Im all 4!!

Hey, chicky. Them little red condos are only a bit tricky. Once you have hefted the mighty wet cup, you will know. The force will magically find you and from that moment forward you will never be alone in you world of Pot Lifting.

I know the solos are not what you plan to flower in, but getting a feel for getting a feel for it will come. When you transplant next... feel pot full of soil, no water, feel pot full of soil, WITH water... then put plants in and feel them...

Go stick that pokey thing into the grass outside... read it, feel the grass...
Remmebre it is all about poking it in the right place. :jump:

"So, where is that Stoner Chick?"
"She is in the closet feeling her pots and plants"

'"I'm jealous."
:headbange: :bigeye:

:tongue:

:chin:

O.k. Everything went terribly.

This is what i have learned:

#1 - The drainage holes on the cups i made with a knife therefore the slits were too small and letting water stay in the bottom of the cup which leeched up keeping the soil soaked way too long, thus drowning the plants.

#2 - The potting soil i put my peat pots into had a slow release fertilizer of 0.10/0.05/0.05; I was told that was safe, but it wasn't, it obviously over fertilized them burning them bad.

#3 - I did not follow Blazeoneups instructions word for word, and instead of putting the peat pots into straight pro-mix like he uses, i thought i would be brainy and use a potting mix instead. Live and learn, right?

Here is a pic of the cups causing the poor drainage and how i fixed them:
picture.php

Here are the bigger holes - i think they are big enough:

picture.php